Notable Guitarist Quotes

Maguchi

Gretschie
Aug 11, 2022
Lalaland
I stumbled on a few guitarist quotes. Please share yours, too.

"If you can play, your gear doesn't matter. If you can't play, your gear doesn't matter."

" Less is more... how can that be? It's impossible... more is more" Malmsteen

“Guitarists spend half their time tuning and the other half playing out of tune.” – Andres Segovia
We'd do away with the differences between lead and rhythm guitar. It's like, you can't go into a shop, and ask for a "lead guitar." You're a guitar player, and you play guitar.

Keith Richards 1977

Last edited:

Sabato

Country Gent
Mar 22, 2019
Massachusetts
Every time I have to move my gear to play, after I get it all home and set back up again, I always say:

"This is why rock and roll is a young man's sport."
Paul McCartney said the same thing but now that he's 80 he not only said he feels like he's 25 but that he'd rather be out rockin than sitting around. But I'm sure he doesn't do any heavy lifting...

schwarzerHund

Gretschie
Jan 1, 2022
IN
"...I'm not technical. When I listen to music, I gravitate more toward the sonic aspect of it. The technical stuff of it, I get bored with it. These long solos? OK, already. You know your scales, big deal. I know it, too, but I don't want to do that..."

Joey Santiago / Pixies

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
George Harrison said that he didn't think that he was a great guitar player but he probably could be if he practiced, but he didn't practice....
The fact that playing decently came pretty effortlessly coupled with my innate laziness has doomed me to permanent mediocrity. I occasionally consider trying to tackle a different style or genre that would require practice, but never seem to get around to it. I guess that just means I'm okay with being just okay.
Brother, dad, I got 'em all fooled. I go out there, I grab one string and pound the crap out of it, wiggle my ass and they go nuts. I'm not playing a thing!
-Eddie Cochran View attachment 188903
What the heck is the deal with Eddie and his whacked out bridge angle?
Eddie-Cochran.jpg

And it appears to be a homemade uncompensated saddle, not the stock compensated Bigsby saddle. How his setup wasn't an intonation nightmare is completely beyond my comprehension. Yet, he obviously knew what he was doing. Very puzzling.

MrWookiee

Country Gent
Jun 17, 2020
SoCal, USA
The fact that playing decently came pretty effortlessly coupled with my innate laziness has doomed me to permanent mediocrity. I occasionally consider trying to tackle a different style or genre that would require practice, but never seem to get around to it. I guess that just means I'm okay with being just okay.

What the heck is the deal with Eddie and his whacked out bridge angle?
Eddie-Cochran.jpg

And it appears to be a homemade uncompensated saddle, not the stock compensated Bigsby saddle. How his setup wasn't an intonation nightmare is completely beyond my comprehension. Yet, he obviously knew what he was doing. Very puzzling.
He probably tilted it just for the photo op, knowing it would mystify other guitarists for decades.

Latest posts