No more grown up movies!

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
When I was a little kindergarten-kid I used to watch Sesame Street.
Although this is a dedicated series for children my father used to watch it together with me. He laughed his a** off at little scenes that I did not recognize to be funny.
Many years later I realized that the producers purposely put this grown-up-jokes into it to entertain the parents of the kids watching their programme.
Same with Spongebob and other kid`s series. Brilliant.
Material can operate at two levels. I saw an old cartoon where one of the characters was behaving like Groucho Marx. When I was 5 years old, that character would have just been acting funny, but a lifetime of experience later, it‘s obvious that this is a Groucho imitation.

You can did the same thing with music. End a Country solo by quoting the opening of Eine Kliene Nachtmusik and the younger people in the audience are less likely to recognize that it’s Mozart than the more experienced, who probably would get a chuckle out of it.

I’ve watched some Sponge Bob in my day, and there’s a degree of satire there which probably evades detection by much of the target audience. I got to see Tom Kinney at a Deke Dickerson Guitar Geek Festival, and he was funny as hell. They were talking about the contrast between the Top 40 ballads of the latter ‘70s, and the Ramones. We was singing the opening phrases to some of those songs and quipped that Sponge Bob could probably sing those songs in their original key. IIRC, he actually sang “Babe I’m leaving, must be on my way” as Sponge Bob. Great stuff, and just a few minutes of him working the room, out of character, made it obvious just how talented he was as a performer. He could have been one of many stand-ups, or the one and only Sponge Bob. As the latter, he will be remembered for a very long time.

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Some really good ones in spongebob i only noticed once i got older
How good is spongebob, haven't seen the movie completely only bits and pieces but loved the cartoon.
Because the writers know you'll be controlling the content when the kids are young, they put lots of stuff in there for you to enjoy as well. The movie doesn't get played often if the grownups in the room aren't amused by it.
That's so true, like you said the parents hold the remote control at the end of the day and my wife has been known to turn things off on my 3 year old daughter because she is over what she has been watching lol.

Me on the other hand, well I'm the 35 year old at the top of the playground with my daughter going down the biggest slide there (not when other kids are there though, only when it's me and her).

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
I can understand that, but what about if he is in a Drew Barrymore movie, or a Jennifer Aniston movie?
"50 First Dates" wasn't too horrible compared to others of his.
Can't watch Will Ferrell, Lucille Ball, or Jerry Lewis. They're all horrid caricatures of humans.
No one is that stupid.

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I don't mind some Adam Sandler shows when I just want stupid and funny. I can't stand Will Ferrel. My family loves Elf and I think it is an absolutely worthless travesty.
I'm with you on the stupid funny, sometimes you just want something to laugh at and not need a message, but both Adam Sandler and Will Ferrel have their good movies and their bads, some I can watch others I can't turn off quick enough, same with Steve Carrell, am a big fan of Jim Carrey but he has some horrible movies.

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
I liked Happy Gilmore; there was a humanity at the core which I appreciated. For the most part, his movies are a bit much for my tastes.

"50 First Dates" wasn't too horrible compared to others of his.
Can't watch Will Ferrell, Lucille Ball, or Jerry Lewis. They're all horrid caricatures of humans.
No one is that stupid.

Will Ferrell galls me. I liked him as Alex Trebek in those SNL sketches, but little else.

I watched Lucille Ball when I was a kid, but as i became an adult, my tolerance for her diminished rapidly, and now stands at zero.

Jerry Lewis is pretty much the same, I don’t think that I would have wanted to meet him.

In the last two cases, it may well be that their stature in the business became so great that it outgrew what their psyches could support. Will Ferrell, OTOH, strikes me as merely wishing that would happen to him.

Marv666

Synchromatic
Jul 26, 2020
Germany
How good is spongebob, haven't seen the movie completely only bits and pieces but loved the cartoon.

That's so true, like you said the parents hold the remote control at the end of the day and my wife has been known to turn things off on my 3 year old daughter because she is over what she has been watching lol.

Me on the other hand, well I'm the 35 year old at the top of the playground with my daughter going down the biggest slide there (not when other kids are there though, only when it's me and her).
There are spongebob movies but mainly it was a series .... the old stuff is really good, the new can't say too much about that

pmac11

Country Gent
Mar 4, 2018
Toronto, Ontario

Enjoy the big slide years, they're awesome!

Horse Nation

Gretschie
Jun 7, 2022
new york
Couldn’t pay me to watch an Adam Sandler movie.

Believe it or not, the two dramatic films Sandler made are worth a go. I haven't seen his latest, the one about a basketball prospect, but I did see Sandler's movie UNCUT GEMS, the one in which he plays a severely addicted gambler. He was fine in it, the movie itself was very good.

And, yes, at one time Adam Sandler was very funny. Going all the way back to his days on an MTV game show called "Remote Control" and then his time on "Saturday Night Live," Sandler could deliver some great comedy.

BCRatRod73

Synchromatic
Silver Member
Sep 1, 2020
Mississippi
Futurama is pure genius. Anything with math and science puns can't be all bad.
Bender is my hero, I get inspiration from the Professor, and I look like Scruffy the janitor.
That one episode with the dog though…
That one should have come with a warning. It hit about as hard as the M*A*S*H Henry Blake going home episode hit.

BCRatRod73

Synchromatic
Silver Member
Sep 1, 2020
Mississippi
I’ve watched some Sponge Bob in my day, and there’s a degree of satire there which probably evades detection by much of the target audience.
Being an uncle I’ve watched some Spongebob with my sister’s kids. The Spongebob Prehistoric is pretty damn funny.

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Believe it or not, the two dramatic films Sandler made are worth a go. I haven't seen his latest, the one about a basketball prospect, but I did see Sandler's movie UNCUT GEMS, the one in which he plays a severely addicted gambler. He was fine in it, the movie itself was very good.

And, yes, at one time Adam Sandler was very funny. Going all the way back to his days on an MTV game show called "Remote Control" and then his time on "Saturday Night Live," Sandler could deliver some great comedy.
I will say that I agree with you on the dramatic films, I haven't seen uncut gems but I'll give it to him for the ones I have seen that weren't comedies which where decent films.

I am a about 1/3 way through 'Hustle' and it's not too bad, haven't had a chance to watch the rest but I do want to finish it.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
That one episode with the dog though…
That one should have come with a warning. It hit about as hard as the M*A*S*H Henry Blake going home episode hit.
There were a few sad ones like that. One, where Fry got to revisit his Mom was poignant.
Bender's origin story where Inspector Hermes passes Bender tho he's flawed.
Then, there was the 7 leaf clover episode where he discovered his nephew, the first human on Mars, was named for him. That episode also had the single best Bender line in the entire series. At the cemetery of the famous, Bender shouts, "Everyone grab a shovel. I'm one skull short of a Mousketeers reunion."

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in

I liked Happy Gilmore; there was a humanity at the core which I appreciated. For the most part, his movies are a bit much for my tastes.
The best part of Happy Gilmore was where Bob Barker beat the snot out of Sandler.
The Best part of Little Nicky was the bit at the end with Hitler in a maid's costume and the Devil with a pineapple.

Latest posts