No more grown up movies!

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Yeah, it's madcap silliness and stupidity. If I come across those minion films, I'll give them a try.

I'd rather watch this:

View attachment 183828

...than this:

View attachment 183829
I can't watch super hero movies. Ever since Steeve Reeves, the 1950s Superman, committed suicide, none of it's been believable to me. So much of it is just too over the top. I don't need monster or most jump scare horror movies for much the same reason. Most modern movies are meant for teenagers on date night. Having spent 40+ years as a projectionist/stagehand I've gotten pretty good at ignoring a lot of drek.

All that said, Futurama is pure genius. Anything with math and science puns can't be all bad.
Bender is my hero, I get inspiration from the Professor, and I look like Scruffy the janitor.

Last edited:

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
Just because the visuals are drawn, instead of using live actors, does not mean that cartoons are for children. Even cartoons aimed at children, usually have aspects which are more aimed at adults. When I was a kid, I probably wouldn’t have caught a reference to any number of cultural references that occur in some of these cartoons. A couple of months ago, ai stumbled onto an early Roadrunner cartoon on YouTube and almost fell out of my chair laughing.

I’m not saying that im about to sit and watch hours of cartoons designed for small children, but I’m not above watching one, now and then. Some of the newer cartoons are not particularly aimed at small children. The Simpsons has handled some pretty complex subject matter. South Park, is definitely not something I would recommend for children; it’s cilled with adult themes, but it’s also filled with social commentary.

Live action movies, these days, are not necessarily restricted to reality. I would rather watch a kids cartoon than another superhero fantasy movie. Some of what I’ve seen in live action movies stretches the imagination far more than most cartoons. If I see one more person outrun a flame front, I promise, I’ll scream aloud. Or have about when Tom Cruise rode the shockwave from an explosion in Mission Impossible? The last t8me I was in a movie theater had to be over ten years ago. I think it was to see Secretariat, if that gives you a time frame.

Horse Nation

Gretschie
Jun 7, 2022
new york
I can't watch super hero movies.

Amen, brother.

I did enjoy the Batman TV show and I thought the first two Christopher Reeve's Superman movies were absolutely fantastic, but these new Marvel movies are just crap. Oh, and all the superheroes suffer from angst. The more angst and darkness, the more teens buy tickets. Christopher Reeve's SUPERMAN II was a wild, fun romp ("Kneel before Zod!"), but now we get dark superhero movies...hundreds of them. They never stop coming.

I love going to the movies. One year I went 48 times! You know how many times I went last year? Three. Movie after movie is for teens.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Amen, brother.

I did enjoy the Batman TV show and I thought the first two Christopher Reeve's Superman movies were absolutely fantastic, but these new Marvel movies are just crap. Oh, and all the superheroes suffer from angst. The more angst and darkness, the more teens buy tickets. Christopher Reeve's SUPERMAN II was a wild, fun romp ("Kneel before Zod!"), but now we get dark superhero movies...hundreds of them. They never stop coming.

I love going to the movies. One year I went 48 times! You know how many times I went last year? Three. Movie after movie is for teens.
I last went to "Dune". I'll go to "Dune II" when it comes out.
Hate going to movie theaters, and then they run commercials.

pmac11

Country Gent
Mar 4, 2018
Toronto, Ontario
No, cartoons are for kids. Yeah, there was "Fritz The Cat," but cartoons are for kids.

"Self-important"? No, I am just an adult that put away childish things when I became a man. Tell me, do you still play with your GI Joe dolls? I don't. I'm a man. I don't play with GI Joe dolls and I don't watch cartoons.

View attachment 183825

Johnny West dolls were cool. When I was six. I don't play with them now because I am a man. Same goes for cartoons.

"When I was a child, I spake as a child. Time to put away childish things." Live it, learn it.
South Park, Family Guy, The Simpsons, Bob's Burgers....to name a few. These are among the most intelligent commentaries on TV today. Yes, children may watch them, but the target audience is considerably older. Scripture is irrelevant to the discussion.

pmac11

Country Gent
Mar 4, 2018
Toronto, Ontario
The one with the megaphone just goes, "Ah-oooga!"
I've got grandsons, so, I'll see it soon enough. The first three are on TV tonight for those interested. Most kids' cartoons have some humor for the adults that have to take their kids to the theater.

Rocky & Bullwinkle had tons of jokes meant for the adults, as did Looney Tunes.
So did the Flintstones. Lots of innocent sounding double-entendres got past the censors. :cool:

pmac11

Country Gent
Mar 4, 2018
Toronto, Ontario
Im with you on this, have been watching lids cartoon movies before i had my daughter, the best thing is the parts that the adults get but fly right over the kids heads.

There is some seriously smart movie writing going on with kids movies.
Because the writers know you'll be controlling the content when the kids are young, they put lots of stuff in there for you to enjoy as well. The movie doesn't get played often if the grownups in the room aren't amused by it.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
At 55 I love cartoons(as in humorous animation). Particularly when they are multi layered in that they appear fun, silly and colourful on quick glance(for the kids) but can be completely cynical in theme or lines.
The first cartoons(as in funny illustrations) or animations, were not even targeted at kids.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
If you want a sex themed tv series watch the BBC show Coupling, it is hilarious! Do not watch the USA hacked version, what few they butchered they were horrible!

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
When I was a little kindergarten-kid I used to watch Sesame Street.
Although this is a dedicated series for children my father used to watch it together with me. He laughed his a** off at little scenes that I did not recognize to be funny.
Many years later I realized that the producers purposely put this grown-up-jokes into it to entertain the parents of the kids watching their programme.
Same with Spongebob and other kid`s series. Brilliant.