NGD Orange 5420

pmac11

Country Gent
Mar 4, 2018
Toronto, Ontario
Well, new to me. Looks pretty much brand new. Only problem is the input jack unscrewed itself and it and a washer are rattling around inside. No time today to fuss with it but looks like I've got a project for tomorrow.
Beautiful- Enjoy it!
You'll need to make a small hook from a bit of coat hanger wire. If you can get it dead center of the jack, you should be able to pull it back into place.

radd

Friend of Fred
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
I'm hoping it's that easy!

It won’t be. You can’t pull it back through the jack hole with the wire. You can fish it out through the F hole with a wire. But….Then you have to get it into the jack hole. And if you did manage it, how are you going to do it with the washer on it.

I had the same issue. I took the jack plug off an old guitar cable, ground It down so it fit entirely through the jack hole. I tied a line to it, fed it into the jack hole from outside the guitar, fished it out the f hole, plugged it into the jack with the washer on it and just pulled it back into place with the line sticking out of the jack hole.

If you don’t have a old cable you could take a short section of dowel, taper it on one end, put a hole through the other end and attatch the line. Work the dowel into the jack with the washer after you have the jack pulled up out of the f hole. Then just pull it through.

You can then feed the outside washer and nut over the line and old guitar jack or dowel and attatch the jack without losing it back inside.

You can see in the second photo how the old jack is ground down to the same diameter as the threaded jack.

2C1B7775-5B24-420B-BC1A-162C307189B4.jpeg FAFD671E-2F2B-4507-99D8-2674397D72F6.jpeg

VRomanojr

Electromatic
Dec 4, 2012
West Virginia
It won’t be. You can’t pull it back through the jack hole with the wire. You can fish it out through the F hole with a wire. But….Then you have to get it into the jack hole. And if you did manage it, how are you going to do it with the washer on it.

I had the same issue. I took the jack plug off an old guitar cable, ground It down so it fit entirely through the jack hole. I tied a line to it, fed it into the jack hole from outside the guitar, fished it out the f hole, plugged it into the jack with the washer on it and just pulled it back into place with the line sticking out of the jack hole.

If you don’t have a old cable you could take a short section of dowel, taper it on one end, put a hole through the other end and attatch the line. Work the dowel into the jack with the washer after you have the jack pulled up out of the f hole. Then just pull it through.

You can then feed the outside washer and nut over the line and old guitar jack or dowel and attatch the jack without losing it back inside.

You can see in the second photo how the old jack is ground down to the same diameter as the threaded jack.

View attachment 178667 View attachment 178668
UGH!! Looks like I’ll have to set aside the afternoon to fool around with it.

capnhiho

Country Gent
Feb 16, 2013
California
It’s pretty easy. Go out for Chinese food tonight and be sure to bring home a pair of chopsticks. A chopstick is just about the right size to poke through the hole and finesse the jack out through the F hole and should provide enough friction to hold and reassemble things. Slip the nut over the end of the chopstick and tighten. Works for me anyway….

radd

Friend of Fred
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
It’s pretty easy. Go out for Chinese food tonight and be sure to bring home a pair of chopsticks. A chopstick is just about the right size to poke through the hole and finesse the jack out through the F hole and should provide enough friction to hold and reassemble things. Slip the nut over the end of the chopstick and tighten. Works for me anyway….

Good idea, ya just gotta get that pesky inside friction washer on the jack first.

Keith H

Electromatic
Feb 16, 2022
U K
Nice guitar! However, I am biased as I have exactly the same model.

Also had exactly the same issue with mine and managed to fix it myself.

I managed to get the jack to poke through the f-hole (with all wiring intact) and held it there with some masking tape while I threaded some old thin electrical cable through the jack hole and then fed that through the washer and jack and then tied a knot in the wire at the f-hole end and pulled it all back through to the jack hole and secured it with the nut. The knot needs to be sufficiently large to retain the items in place while threading. If a long enough piece of wire is used as a thread simply retain the other end outside the f-hole so you can extract it after the jack and washer are re-located.

A bit fiddly but actually quite easy. You need to ensure you have sufficient electrical cable (or other cable that will allow movement but not be too floppy) to insert through the jack hole and through the f-hole from the jack hole end.

The tricky bit is tightening the external nut while everything is in place without the jack rotating and tangling or breaking the electrical connections. There are some tools for this on eBay if required but don’t just tighten the nut or you’ll have a potentially bigger problem than you already have.

If in doubt take it to a technician - they fix this sort of issue fairly cheaply and quickly.

Hope this helps.

capnhiho

Country Gent
Feb 16, 2013
California
Good idea, ya just gotta get that pesky inside friction washer on the jack first.
Yeah, that’s part of the “finesse” I was speaking of. It helps to slip the washer over the chopstick (inside the guitar body) before skewering the jack. Line it all up as you gently pull it back through the hole.

VRomanojr

Electromatic
Dec 4, 2012
West Virginia
Since I didn't go out for Chinese food last night (but I will take home my chopsticks next time) I used a wire. Took off the pickguard and fished out the washer and jack through the f-hole. I used a piece of stiff, stranded wire through the jack hole bent on the end with a "hook", hooked it into the jack and washer, pulled it through the hole, put the washers and nut over the wire and carefully tightened. Yanked the wire out and all done! Actually pretty easy.
The bottom strap lock screw pin into the body was stripped so had to fix that too. I'd wonder if there was some bouncing on the shipping box end which stripped the pin and loosened the jack. Better than a Roundup I bought 9 years ago or so that had been laid down in shipping, stepped (jumped?) on and broke the neck and tremolo arm.

Thanks for your help.

capnhiho

Country Gent
Feb 16, 2013
California
Since I didn't go out for Chinese food last night (but I will take home my chopsticks next time) I used a wire. Took off the pickguard and fished out the washer and jack through the f-hole. I used a piece of stiff, stranded wire through the jack hole bent on the end with a "hook", hooked it into the jack and washer, pulled it through the hole, put the washers and nut over the wire and carefully tightened. Yanked the wire out and all done! Actually pretty easy.
The bottom strap lock screw pin into the body was stripped so had to fix that too. I'd wonder if there was some bouncing on the shipping box end which stripped the pin and loosened the jack. Better than a Roundup I bought 9 years ago or so that had been laid down in shipping, stepped (jumped?) on and broke the neck and tremolo arm.

Thanks for your help.
Great McGyvering there!
Welcome to DIY Luthiery School! 😊

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
I stumbled onto this method on my own and try to share it as much as I can. Simple, cheap, easy, works great.
You don't need to buy a tool to hold the output jack while you tighten the nut.

Buy a 1/4" wooden dowel rod at malwart or craft store for less than $2. Need one that mics a little bigger than 1/4", mine was labeled as 1/4 but is actually 0.265". That's perfect because you sand the very end for a slight taper...then when you tap it into the jack it wedges in there and locks up tight.
I cut a piece about 4" long, tap it into the jack tight and hold it while I tighten the nut, works great. You can get it really tight without hurting the metal and then just wiggle it around to get it to loosen.

And as we've said here a million times, everyone should install a jack plate on their hollowbodies. If the strap comes loose the guitar hits the floor right on the male jack and it gets punched up into the guitar with a really nasty hole to repair.
For less than $10 you buy peace of mind and I think they look cool too.
My G5129:
5129 Jack Plate A.JPG