NGD - G5410T Rat Rod

longtortoise

Electromatic
Jul 28, 2022
Sacramento, CA
Howdy! Not much to say, other than I love my new Rat Rod! This is my first Gretsch and it's really surprising how different it is from solid-body guitars with single-coils or humbuckers.

I had trouble deciding which color I wanted. My local shop ordered one black and one white, and while I was demoing the black someone came in and bought the white. That made it much easier, given I would have been happy with any of them. I also played a very nice G5420T in Azure that almost went home with me. In the end I chose the Rat because it's a bit different from the 'standard' Gretsch look, although I do love shiny things. The Rat just oozes cool.

For some reason I'm still drooling over other Gretsches and TV Jones pickups, even though I am completely satisfied with the Rat and its Black(red)tops :)

Great community here. Cheers.

IMG_20220811_155250270_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220811_155150587_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220812_134112382.jpg

longtortoise

Electromatic
Jul 28, 2022
Sacramento, CA
Thanks all. Does anyone have a favorite OD pedal with blacktops? My DigiTech Bad Monkey works pretty well but I'd be interested in trying out something else. I could use something mild as well as something higher gain.

Bassmac

Electromatic
Jul 13, 2022
Netherlands
A bluesbraker pedal sounds nice. A bit ‘civilized’, but hard to find. There are good copies. But a thight germanium fuzz is also something different! And speaking fuzz: a rat pedal ;) ps Keep your Bad Monkey!

longtortoise

Electromatic
Jul 28, 2022
Sacramento, CA
A bluesbraker pedal sounds nice. A bit ‘civilized’, but hard to find. There are good copies. But a thight germanium fuzz is also something different! And speaking fuzz: a rat pedal ;) ps Keep your Bad Monkey!
Thanks for the recommendations! I definitely want a rat, and I'll look into a bluesbreaker type pedal.

Welcome to the club. This was also my first Gretsch…and beginning of an addiction. View attachment 187524
Beautiful! Is that a Compton? How's the intonation? How did it change the sound?

BCRatRod73

Synchromatic
Sep 1, 2020
Mississippi
Beautiful! Is that a Compton? How's the intonation? How did it change the sound?
Yep. Aluminum Compton. It improved the tone compared to the stock bridge. Intonation is fine. No problems. Worth the money. I’d guess with the thinner matte finish and more open sound compared to a thicker glossy finish I think the aluminum bridge is a good fit. I have a stainless on my 5422TG and I like it on that guitar.

Chet Harrison

Gretschie
Apr 27, 2020
USA
I know Nico of X-ray Cat Trio did that:

Thanks, I was not aware of this video. I will check it out.

I played a VS Jet with T-Armonds when I visited Sweetwater. I'd really like to get one. I have the thinline hollowbody thing covered with my Harmony that has a gold-foil pickup, or I would probably do the rat rod conversion myself. Expensive, but would still come in at about half the price of the MIJ guitars.