NFGD!

blueruins

Friend of Fred
May 28, 2013
Savannah, GA
7E66A6CE-150A-425E-B3EE-EDA9C9113118.jpeg
Free Guitar Day!!!!🤩

Had a rare Monday off and decided to turn that new Vox AC15 up and dust off the speakers after the kids headed out for school and the missus left for work.

Later I saw that the neighbor could use a hand moving some stuff. As we were talking he asked me if that was me he heard playing “sounded like the blues” he said.

After I apologized for being so loud he told me he had some ‘student’ guitars he wasn’t using and would I like to have them? I asked to see them and he showed me this Yamaha FG-75 and an ukulele sized nylon 6-string by First Act.

I’ve always enjoyed Yamaha guitars and when I strummed this one I was really happy…sweet airy tone like only an old guitar usually can sound. Even with rusty strings I could tell it was a nice little guitar.

Now she’s strung out in D’Addario’s and all lemon 🍋 oiled and fancy.

The tuners need to be replaced and a new nut and saddle will help the action. I got not quite a half turn out of the truss rod which improved things a bit.

Super sweet surprise!

blueruins

Friend of Fred
May 28, 2013
Savannah, GA
Thankee gents! I did a little research and it seems this guitar is likely as old as I am. These ‘red-label’ Yamaha’s were produced in Japan 1968-74.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
Dude, Yammy red labels* are the real deal. I'm happy for you!

* If they say Nippon Gakki(Japan). If not it's likely Taiwan made and maybe a bit less desirable.

Last edited:

blueruins

Friend of Fred
May 28, 2013
Savannah, GA
Dude, Yammy red labels* are the real deal. I'm happy for you!

* If they say Nippon Gakki(Japan). If not it's likely Taiwan made and maybe a bit less desirable.
Amazing! You are an expert on all things of Asian manufacture. There is a 'Made in Japan' label on the back of the headstock and the serial code dates it to somewhere in Spring of 1970. Apparently this model isn't particularly collectible as many were made but cool all the same.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
Amazing! You are an expert on all things of Asian manufacture. There is a 'Made in Japan' label on the back of the headstock and the serial code dates it to somewhere in Spring of 1970. Apparently this model isn't particularly collectible as many were made but cool all the same.

Cool it's a MIJ. Something to be said for a no frills student model.
No expert dude. I own a Taiwan Yammie and had to deep dive google to find any information. Besides that I think it's fascinating why some Asian models get a bad rep and some do not. 😅

blueruins

Friend of Fred
May 28, 2013
Savannah, GA
Cool it's a MIJ. Something to be said for a no frills student model.
No expert dude. I own a Taiwan Yammie and had to deep dive google to find any information. Besides that I think it's fascinating why some Asian models get a bad rep and some do not.
C7DE9715-B361-4FFB-99E6-8CA229FBF504.jpeg
Yeah…red label. Not the easiest playing guitar and only a little room for improvement without major surgery. Maybe a very slight twist in the neck as well but a nice guitar for what it is and a generous gift.

Gregor

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 17, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Love the Yamaha guitars. Had a 6 and a 12 string for years. Very mellow as they aged (unlike) me. Foolishly I sold both to fund another guitar...we all make mistakes!!!

Latest posts