arrubin13010

Electromatic
Sep 17, 2022
Milwaukee, WI
Hi all, new member here. I have a 2008 5120, put in a set of TV Jones classics a few years ago. Lately I have been jonesing hard for a G6120. I am planning on doing a side by side comparison between mine and a new 6120 soon (I have Cream City music here, big Gretsch dealer), but i was wondering what the major differences are going to be.

I am also looking at a couple G6120TFM's, both with a rocker bar bridge. Any advantages / disadvantages with the bar bridge vs. a stock TOM?

Long range plan is to get a Falcon at some point, but that is far in the future...

Thanks,

Andrew

Attachments

• Gretsch 5120.jpg
    Gretsch 5120.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 15

Bumble 57

Gretschie
May 8, 2022
Durango Co
Hi all, new member here. I have a 2008 5120, put in a set of TV Jones classics a few years ago. Lately I have been jonesing hard for a G6120. I am planning on doing a side by side comparison between mine and a new 6120 soon (I have Cream City music here, big Gretsch dealer), but i was wondering what the major differences are going to be.

I am also looking at a couple G6120TFM's, both with a rocker bar bridge. Any advantages / disadvantages with the bar bridge vs. a stock TOM?

Long range plan is to get a Falcon at some point, but that is far in the future...

Thanks,

Andrew
Welcome! Lots of crazy smart people here to help. Maybe crazy and smart.😵‍💫🤔

Seamus

Country Gent
Feb 25, 2011
New England
Welcome!

I've only owned a 6120, never a 5120. Played several of both, though. I'm sure others will be along who've done a thorough comparison, but I'm following with great interest. My bet? Sound will be very, very similar (since you have the TVJ pickups), with biggest difference in how it plays. My limited experience revealed consistency in how Prolines play, and a lot more variability/luck of the draw with 5120s.

Last edited:

Gregor

Country Gent
Oct 17, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Welcome Andrew. I too am jonesing for a 6120 but at this stage in my "career" it's probably not going to happen.
I have a 5120 as well(see avatar) and installed a Zero Fret and a roller bridge which greatly helped the tuning stability.
Lots of bar bridge fans here. Not so much for the tom. It makes sense in that the tom has a pretty rough surface for the strings to travel over especially with a Bigsby although probably if you smoothed off the saddles it might be OK..I just replaced it. The other complaint is that they can be possessed with rattles. Not so with a bar.
Good luck in your Falcon search.

Back in Black

Country Gent
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada

Thanks,

Andrew
Welcome Andrew,

You're in good company here!

Best,

BIB

bluenote23

Country Gent
Oct 17, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I once had a G5129. I think Seamus is right that the electric sound won't be so much different. But my prolines compared to the Electromatic are much nicer to play. More resonant acoustically and just better feeling in the hand. If you're gong to play, you might as well play something that makes you want to play.

I like bars but if you're partial to perfect intonation, you probably won't get it with a bar. Bars are simple, less troublesome (when it comes to rattles) than cheap, poorly designed adjustomatics (but not all adjustomatics are cheap and poorly designed).

LivingMyDream

Friend of Fred
May 4, 2016
Peculiar, Missouri
Welcome to Gretsch-Talk, Andrew!

I started my Gretsch journey with a 5120, too. I'm sure it sounds really nice with those TV Jones Classics.

If you love the feel of your 5120, you will find that the 6120 has a different neck feel, so I would encourage you to get your hands on one so that you know what you're getting. Many here like the bar bridge as a way to get better tone and to improve tuning stability.

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 23, 2010
tappan ny
I have a 2008 5120, put in a set of TV Jones classics a few years ago. Lately I have been jonesing hard for a G6120.
Welcoem friend
Seems we have some things in common .... let me start by saying Andrew is my middle name ( bet you guys never knew that )
I had a 2007 / 5120 completely modded out and like you , wanted to upgrade , so I bought my 6120-1959 . Always wished i kept the 5120 . There two different animals

BobYoshi

Electromatic
Aug 4, 2022
Port Coquitlam

Thanks,

Andrew
Welcome aboard :)

speedicut

Friend of Fred
Jun 5, 2012
Alabama
Welcome to the forum!
My 5120 with TV Classics sounds very similar to my 6120 with filtertrons... My 6120 DSW with dynasonics sounds a bit different if course. But, the feel of a proline compared to an electromatic is very different. While electromatics are great guitars, they aren't quite a proline.
As mentioned by others above, you need to try out some different prolines and see/feel the difference for yourself. You may fall in love with a 6120, maybe an Anniversary, you may decide just to keep your 5120 and add a Duo Jet.
At least you're on the right track by playing Gretsch 😉

TallTxn

Electromatic
Nov 15, 2009
San Antonio
Hello and welcome.
I too have been on a similar journey: started with an '07 5120, added TV Classics, then bought a 6120 with Dynas, then a 6118 also with the TV Classics. Yes, as the others have mentioned, you'll feel and see the difference by degrees. You'll see things like different neck construction techniques - my 6120 has the skunk stripe joint/the 5120 has a separate block of wood joined at the heel (the more luthier-types could describe better) as well as different possible bracing, nut material and of course aesthetics.
Comparing the 5120 with the Annie with essentially the same pick ups, they do play differently and have different tonal qualities. I estimate tone post vs trestel bracing, bar bridge vs space control, Licensed Bigsby (lighter spring) vs B6, Poly vs Nitro, etc all combine. The result is that I find the 5120 a bit "bouncier" and brighter while the 6118 more focused yet dynamic and touch-sensitive...I know a bunch of words to say they're both great.

Funny thing is I probably pick up the 5120 more frequently than the other two when I'm trying to work something out. I think I get psychologically freer with it because I'm not as worried about fret wear or potential scuffs.

Enjoy!

DougWheeler74

Synchromatic
Jul 10, 2019
NE Wisconsin, US
Welcome! I got my first Gretsch at Cream City. I traded in my Tele and have wondered where it ended up. I did get another Tele later on. I'm afraid to go back as I may get a 3rd Gretsch. (I bought my second one here in Appleton at Pixel Pro Audio. )

Keep us informed of your journey.