New Member...what is this weird Roc Jet?

firstflight

Electromatic
Sep 29, 2022
Brooklyn
Hi,
I have an interesting 1972 Roc Jet. It is a stereo model with half gold and half silver parts, two separate 1/4" inputs and it's in a natural finish. As I understand it, Roc Jets only came in Black or Pumpkin finishes. One Supertron is silver and one is gold, one input is silver and one is gold and two knobs are silver and two are gold. One toggle is silver and one toggle is gold. The headstock also seems different from other 1972 Roc Jets that I've seen online. Could this have been a custom order?
The staining around the binding I believe is from off-gassing.
Thank you

Attachments

• rocjet.jpg
    rocjet.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 94
  • rocjetBack.jpg
    rocjetBack.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 94
  • rocjetJACKS.jpg
    rocjetJACKS.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 76
  • rocjetHEAD.jpg
    rocjetHEAD.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 94

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
Welcome to Gretsch-Talk. That is interesting!

Have you considered a (re)bind? It’s only gonna get worse. Seems a shame, for what looks like a unique guitar.

6187LX

Gretschie
Aug 11, 2022
Up Around the Bend
That's weird all right. Gretsch never did a stereo anything like that - that we know of. That does look like two separate Gretsch outputs. Does the large back cover come off so that you can see the interior routing? Post a couple of pics if you can. Headstock seems normal.

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
FF,

Welcome!

I've been around the block a few times and not ashamed to say, I've never heard of this model.

The side photo indicates it's thinner than a Jet (jack cups encroaching on the binding).

It's certainly different.

Limited info on-line indicates it was a short lived idea from the early 1970's

Best,

BIB

Last edited:

6187LX

Gretschie
Aug 11, 2022
Up Around the Bend
As BIB noted, it is thinner than a Duo Jet. But this is a Roc Jet which came with a 1 3/4" depth. Single and doublecut Jets of the '50s and '60's were thicker at 1 7/8".

Last edited:

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
As BIB noted, it is thinner than a Duo Jet. But this is a Roc Jet with a 1 3/4" depth. Single and doublecut Jets of the '50s and '60's were thicker at 1 7/8".
Info on-line indicates it's from the early 1970's.

A short lived idea, that didn't quite make the cut.

Best,

BIB.

firstflight

Electromatic
Sep 29, 2022
Brooklyn
That's weird all right. Gretsch never did a stereo anything like that - that we know of. That does look like two separate Gretsch outputs. Does the large back cover come off so that you can see the interior routing? Post a couple of pics if you can. Headstock seems normal.
Thanks all for the welcome.
here is another Roc Jet. The serial number indicates it was made just one month after mine and the headstock is very different.

Others from a little later in 1970s have a much larger headstock than either of these.
I have since found photos of a 1970 model with the same headstock as mine. So, I guess they were all over the place

Attachments

• rocjetCONTROLS.jpg
    rocjetCONTROLS.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

firstflight

Electromatic
Sep 29, 2022
Brooklyn
another bizarre thing is the extra route and cover plate for the non-existing master volume as would be found on the Duo Jet. There is actually NOTHING THERE!!

Attachments

• rocjetBack LOWERdisc.jpg
    rocjetBack LOWERdisc.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 10

tartanphantom

Friend of Fred
Jul 30, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
That's an unusual one for sure. It's times like this I wish we still had the GDP database to check with. :(

There is nothing like this model on record in the old GDP database.
However, everything in the pics appears either stock or very professionally done (if aftermarket).
There were several known one-offs to come out of the Baldwin plant. This may be a factory one-off, but I've never seen another like it.

Congrats to @firstflight for discovering a rare bird.

LivingMyDream

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
May 4, 2016
Peculiar, Missouri
Welcome to Gretsch-Talk, firstflight!

There are things that would suggest modding to me. The silver and gold pickups, knobs and toggle switches could be a mod that helped someone keep track of what controlled what. That and the output cups intruding on the binding suggest that it wasn't a factory design.

In the end, it's still a cool guitar and I hope you'll enjoy playing such a unique instrument.

tartanphantom

Friend of Fred
Jul 30, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Welcome to Gretsch-Talk, firstflight!

There are things that would suggest modding to me. The silver and gold pickups, knobs and toggle switches could be a mod that helped someone keep track of what controlled what. That and the output cups intruding on the binding suggest that it wasn't a factory design.

In the end, it's still a cool guitar and I hope you'll enjoy playing such a unique instrument.

Actually not that uncommon on the Roc Jet, as it sports a slightly thinner body than the original Jet design.

6187LX

Gretschie
Aug 11, 2022
Up Around the Bend
I've just got to second TartanPhantom: this is something new. I just looked at your link to the Pumpkin Porsche RocJet (don't have my old books) and realized that the control layout is different than other RocJets. No master volume on the cutaway. IIRC some Gretsch stereo models had either nothing or a switch on the cutaway.

Don't ever remember a RocJet with two switches on the upper bout. More pics of what's under the covers, please. Especially the output jack area, which is structural and could prove factory work. This is interesting.

Last edited:

firstflight

Electromatic
Sep 29, 2022
Brooklyn
There is nothing like this model on record in the old GDP database.
However, everything in the pics appears either stock or very professionally done (if aftermarket).
There were several known one-offs to come out of the Baldwin plant. This may be a factory one-off, but I've never seen another like it.

Congrats to @firstflight for discovering a rare bird.
well,
if you've never seen another like it...
isn't that what "one-off" means? 😉
Thank you

Latest posts