New Compton Bridge for a New Gretsch Owner

roelm

Electromatic
Jan 25, 2022
Austin, Texas
Hey y’all -
I’ve been reading through quite a few threads and put a lot of your wisdom to use. I’m the proud new owner of a brass Compton special bridge for my new 5230t in Cadillac Green. I was actually in the market for a humbucking split coil Swiss knife type of guitar and picked one of these up at a local store and immediately realized there was something very very cool happening in this machine. The blacktops, chambered body, shorter scale, slightly thinner neck all added up and here I am. Loving it. Thanks everyone 9904952E-E61A-4478-BAA1-6338BC0CC7A6.jpeg FF2E2BC1-4D1C-4D7C-ADA0-B6B5A8798B94.jpeg

schwarzerHund

Electromatic
Jan 1, 2022
Isla de Encanta
Love the Cadillac Green! I've got the same model in black & love it. That Compton bridge is sweet- may have to look into something similar for mine down the road. Congrats- and enjoy!

roelm

Electromatic
Jan 25, 2022
Austin, Texas
C9478E0D-8B85-47AE-9B39-334C34F63F68.jpeg Quick update. The Compton special bridge was a perfect drop in replacement and the pignose volume knob went on without issue (haha). I did have to open up the three way toggle and adjust it so the pickups engage consistently but that may be another upgrade later on. I also have one of those squishy reverend springs on the way to see how I like it.
Does anyone have any tips for the bridge height adjustment? Just curious. I like the height just fine but I like to know how to adjust my instruments and I’m guessing I would release the tension of the strings and use the…thumbwheels? Flat edge screwdriver? Thanks for all the support y’all.

section2

Country Gent
Dec 21, 2016
Toronto
Looks good! To adjust the bridge, you just turn the thumbwheels. You can do it without loosening the strings, though you might want to back them off a bit if you're raising the bridge significantly.

You're going to love the Reverend spring. I have a Reverend soft spring on one of my Gretsches, and Brick's Super Squishy Springs on the others. (They're quite similar.) Every Bigsby should have one.

roelm

Electromatic
Jan 25, 2022
Austin, Texas
Looks good! To adjust the bridge, you just turn the thumbwheels. You can do it without loosening the strings, though you might want to back them off a bit if you're raising the bridge significantly.

You're going to love the Reverend spring. I have a Reverend soft spring on one of my Gretsches, and Brick's Super Squishy Springs on the others. (They're quite similar.) Every Bigsby should have one.

You were 100% correct. The Reverend spring is a really good upgrade. This was the final upgrade for now and I have to say - this is a VERY good gigging guitar now. I’m not sure it’ll topple the EJ rosewood strat but it’ll be riding alongside. And really … they’re very different animals. 37737470-52F6-42DF-85C6-C99C1FEFD679.jpeg

O Riley

Synchromatic
Jun 2, 2018
Beautifull Tennessee
Beautiful guitar. Looks cool with the brass Compton.
As for adjusting, I did everything myself, but in the long run,
I ended up going to our local pro shop and couldn't be happier.

I was having a fret dress to begin with an thought, let's do it.

TomK

Electromatic
Nov 18, 2020
Chicagoland
I also put a Aluminum bridge in my 5230t and it solved a lot issues with the Bigsby. It dropped right in and intonation was very good. I think the Reverend spring is next for me. Congrats on that beautiful green Gretsch.

mrfixitmi

Country Gent
Mar 20, 2010
Michigan
@roelm
Welcome to the forum, and excellent choice on that beautiful guitar, and awesome upgrades. I have five Comptons and love how they improve the sound transfer and the note separation.

That Cadillac Green is timeless, every time I open the case to see my Cadillac Green it brings a smile to my face.