Neck pick up cuts in and out?

Gaard

Nov 21, 2022
Roseland Nebraska
Hey all, I'm a newbie to Gretsch guitars, i did a bunch of research before buying, and ended up getting a steal on a G5622. part of the reason for the steal, was the neck pick up cuts in and out, i've read that the pick up switches are notorious on electromatics.

what is the best course of action? new switch, new wiring harness? all of that is beyond my current knowledge, but i'm willing to try. any youtube videos or the like to help me out on this adventure, or any advice would be great!

journeyman

Synchromatic
Aug 20, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Start by poking around the pots with your finger and try to move any wires that might be shorting or not making proper contact. If that doesn't work, lift the switch and check for shorting wires or poor contact with the switche's plate. if the problem is not in either of those two places, lift the pot(s) that you can't reach with a finger and check for shorts, etc. If the problem is not there, lift the pickup and move its lead wire to see if it cuts in and out. The only other place it could be is in the, output jack. Good luck.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
Most likely the switch(Gretsch is not the only guitar brand with this “feature”). Sometimes you can fix things temporarily with a bit of contact cleaner or a careful nudge of the blades, but for piece of mind a switch is in order. Switchcraft is the brand you want.

swivel

Country Gent
Silver Member
May 13, 2018
PNW
Many cheap import switches used in modern guitars do that. My guess is that is the issue. Replace with a genuine Switchcraft switch!
I currently have 2 guitars that had the issue and I put in a new switch.

Gregor

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 17, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Welcome to the forum that never sleeps.
I'd try a shot of contact cleaner eg DeOxit first. I had the same problem with a pickup cutting out (probably why the guitar was on sale)and this remedied it...two years ago and fine ever since.

Londoner

Gretschie
Dec 18, 2020
UK
Before you swap out the toggle switch try deoxIT first.
I bought a 5220 about 2 years ago, and immediately had trouble with the switch.
Tried WD40, and contact cleaner to no avail.
Then noticed someone on this site recommended deoxIT. I tried it, it worked!
2 years down the line, no problems (touch wood). Has been fine ever since.
It's not cheap, (I just bought the tiny tube), but a lot cheaper and easier than changing the switch.
You only need a couple of squirts, still got plenty left.

Attachments

• d100l-2c_amazon.jpeg
    d100l-2c_amazon.jpeg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
View attachment 195208
It (Radio Shack Tuner Cleaner) solved the issue on my my G5230T. Or try:
Where do you find Radio Shack products anymore?
That tuner cleaner was made to clean the contacts on old school mechanical tuners in CRT TVs. Haven't seen one of those in decades. I miss the Shack. I'm lucky to have a local electronic parts store. Once Radio Shack stopped selling components they went downhill.

I use DeoxIT. It works.

ZackyDog

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 6, 2015
In the USA
Where do you find Radio Shack products anymore?
That tuner cleaner was made to clean the contacts on old school mechanical tuners in CRT TVs. Haven't seen one of those in decades. I miss the Shack. I'm lucky to have a local electronic parts store. Once Radio Shack stopped selling components they went downhill.

I use DeoxIT. It works.

I have an unopened can of DeoxIT.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in

I have an unopened can of DeoxIT.
I'll be interested in it when they open a store near me.
Looks like they're really into crypto.

Latest posts