N"MTR"D (coming Wed from Sweetwater!)

Butch Ammon

Gretschie
Jan 3, 2016
Richmond, VA
New multitrack recorder Day!!!

If you look back a few pages to my other tread about DAW vs the old Portastudios, I have been nagging my wife for weeks about the Tascam DP-03SD (the small 8 track SD card Portastudio). SHE FINALLY SAID "YES" OVER THIS FATHER'S DAY WEEKEND! :D :cool:
Tascam.DP-03sd.jpg

You see, maybe I'm a dinosaur, maybe I'm a techno-phobe, or whatever it is. I have Reaper on my Lenovo laptop and have fiddled with it, recorded with it, read hundreds of articles, tutorials, and got all confused. I should have taken baby steps or whatever, instead of diving straight in without solid knowledge of what it can actually do.

Anyway, I plan on using the Tascam DP-03SD to record with, track by track by track, and save everything to the SD card. I can very easily connect the USB cable and upload stuff to Reaper and finalize things that way, mixing and mastering the final product.

To add some humor to this post. This is more my speed!
LOL... Remember these from 20-25 years ago? 😄
Tascam-414-Mkii-Portastudio-Track-Cassette-Recorder-01-1.jpg

Butch Ammon

Gretschie
Jan 3, 2016
Richmond, VA
Thanks.... I am just one of those "old school" kind of guys where I need to visually see the track faders, master, etc... and not have to point 'n click this and that, and enable this, with a mouse button. It's just who I am....

Last edited:

Butch Ammon

Gretschie
Jan 3, 2016
Richmond, VA
It's here!!!! It's here!!! This thing is cool! :cool:

It's only about the size of a 8½ x 11 piece of paper. Loaded with all sorts of features, just like a DAW. The only thing that kind of teed me off a little, was the Tascam USB cable, is NOT included (sold separately). Grrrr...

But all in all, it's incredible with the SD card installed in it, and has a sample song (locked, read-only, etc... by Tascam), so you can play with it, mess with faders, mess with EQ, and get a good understanding of the controls.
20220622_122629[1].jpg

Here it is plugged into my music room, sitting on my keyboard bench.
20220622_124832[1].jpg

Last edited:

stevo

Friend of Fred
May 1, 2012
Atlanta
New multitrack recorder Day!!!

If you look back a few pages to my other tread about DAW vs the old Portastudios, I have been nagging my wife for weeks about the Tascam DP-03SD (the small 8 track SD card Portastudio). SHE FINALLY SAID "YES" OVER THIS FATHER'S DAY WEEKEND! :D :cool:
View attachment 183030

To add some humor to this post. This is more my speed!
LOL... Remember these from 20-25 years ago? 😄
View attachment 183031

I love this history - the new ones are super slick. i have something like that from a few years ago and it's wonderful to carry around. And yes, I remember that old stuff! Had a Fostex.

Butch Ammon

Gretschie
Jan 3, 2016
Richmond, VA
These modern day Portastudios are awesome! :cool:

For everyone who records with Reaper or Presonus or Pro Tools, etc... My hat's off to you, because you took the time to fully understand a DAW. I've tried. I read tutorials, watched YouTube videos, and... well... I said "screw it". My main #1 annoying thing with my Lenovo laptop, Win10, etc... was the processing speed, and the crazy, audible delay in headphones called "Latency". No matter what I tried, I couldn't get it down far enough. When I did, Reaper would end up with a clicking noise and static noise, during the recording. Audacity would LOCK UP on me as well!

MTR's are here to stay. Absolutely, totally, ZERO latency, because... duh... there IS NO computer I/O processing. Plug in a guitar to one of the new Tascam's and see. Instantaneous recording, live, right then and there.

I've read other internet websites and seen guys on YouTube talking about using a Portastudio to record tracks, bounce tracks, mix down, etc... and then they'd finalize the recording by mastering it with a DAW.

GlenP

Country Gent
Jul 23, 2019
WA
Have fun with it! I had a cassette portastudio 4 track a long time ago and did some simple acoustic recordings for a demo. I started using GarageBand later, but my PowerPC G3 Mac at the time could barely keep up with four tracks! Good times.

DougWheeler74

Synchromatic
Jul 10, 2019
NE Wisconsin, US
I have little patience for 'this is better or you NEED to use this,' line of thought. Everything has its place. I had a Tuscmn 4 track tape unit and then the 4 track version of what you have. Recorded and then brought it into Reaper. Also good for scratch tracks and such. Having grown up in the analog era it made sense.

I now go straight to Reaper but being a retired IT guy finding a way to have a template with sliders and such wasn't so bad. Computer speed is also essential and I bought mine with video and audio processing mind. My old gear wouldn't have done the job very well.

Congrats on your purchase - the right gear for the right need!

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
Congrats, glad it's working out for you. Hate to break the bad news though - if it's digital, it's a computer, just one designed for a specific purpose.

Butch Ammon

Gretschie
Jan 3, 2016
Richmond, VA
I know.... I know.... It's digital. And it records everything perfectly well onto an SD Card. The thing that hooked me right from the start is it looks "old school" like we all remember from 30 years ago. No point 'n click with a mouse button. No confusing VST plug-ins.

Perhaps I'm just one of those guys, stuck in my ways, and will stick with the standalone hardware MTR type of Portastudios. I need to visually SEE what I am doing and physically touch it with my hand. It's just the way I am.