Moving!!

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
Chair's back, sliding into ''O'' Gravity position.

We've been in Ottawa two years, this past August and this is the third move.

Not because we're unhappy with accommodations, but through uncontrolable circumstances.

When the lake house was sold in 2000, we had been there almost 33 years, and we decided to come to Ottawa, and live in the downtown ByWard Market, shops/restaurants/pubs/tourists and just plain lots of fun, and not to buy, but rent.

The first apartment was two level, and it was beautiful. fast forward, almost a year, Janet suffered the stroke, and two stories no longer worked.

Moved to a fabulous one level unit, right in the heart of the market, and we both loved this place. One level, wide halls and doorways, lots of room for wheelchairs and walkers.

Earlier this fall, due to the fact investments are going nowhere fast, we decided to buy a condo. All the bells and whistles, close to the river, 15 minutes from downtown.

You know some of the posts we read, where our members say...''I have bought my last guitar''

Well I'm here to tell you...I'M NOT MOVING AGAIN!!!

Three rooms boxed up, three to go, plus what's down stairs in the storage room.

Lots of boxes, lots of tape, not quite enough beer!

Best,

BIB.

toddfan

Country Gent
Mar 12, 2012
Kansas
I've moved 6 times since I retired in 2014...all self inflicted...lol. To be honest though, for two of them we hardly unpacked because we knew they were going to be temporary...still, I feel your pain...moving sucks. I think we are in a good place now...but, I've learned to NEVER say that this is the last move.

Sounds like you have found a good place to land. Congrats!

BrianW

Country Gent
Oct 21, 2014
Vancouver Island
Chair's back, sliding into ''O'' Gravity position.

We've been in Ottawa two years, this past August and this is the third move.

Not because we're unhappy with accommodations, but through uncontrolable circumstances.

When the lake house was sold in 2000, we had been there almost 33 years, and we decided to come to Ottawa, and live in the downtown ByWard Market, shops/restaurants/pubs/tourists and just plain lots of fun, and not to buy, but rent.

The first apartment was two level, and it was beautiful. fast forward, almost a year, Janet suffered the stroke, and two stories no longer worked.

Moved to a fabulous one level unit, right in the heart of the market, and we both loved this place. One level, wide halls and doorways, lots of room for wheelchairs and walkers.

Earlier this fall, due to the fact investments are going nowhere fast, we decided to buy a condo. All the bells and whistles, close to the river, 15 minutes from downtown.

You know some of the posts we read, where our members say...''I have bought my last guitar''

Well I'm here to tell you...I'M NOT MOVING AGAIN!!!

Three rooms boxed up, three to go, plus what's down stairs in the storage room.

Lots of boxes, lots of tape, not quite enough beer!

Best,

BIB.
Nice area of Ottawa, we used to head to the market on layovers there.... but I hear you about moving. Sometimes can't be helped, but that doesn't make it any easier! Good side is one tends to lose some of the "junk" that accumulates due to gravity or solar eclipses or something. Spent a number of years moving far too often, but was pared down to bare minimums...
Now I would have to spend the first month getting rid of junk before I could start packing.

It will be over with in due course - then you can sort out the beer situation ;-)

cheers

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
All the best with the move!
When I was a kid my family moved every 2 years at least. I went to 7 different schools in different cities in 12 years. After that I was in a rock band and had no fixed address for 4 years. Then nearly 30 years living out of suitcases in hotel rooms as a touring sound engineer. I am so over it, I also never want to move again (unless I win the lotteries!)

Last edited:

radd

Friend of Fred
Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
Yur never moving again, I second that. The only move I’m gonna make at this point is when it’s time to take that big dirt nap.

Wheel chairs, walkers and power chairs I know that well. 8 years ago we moved out of our house where we raised the kids, after living there for 35 yrs, because it was two story. Radwife could not do stairs anymore.

I hope you two love the place.

TSims1

Gretschified
Jun 18, 2013
Atlanta
Congrats on a new chapter! Moving is the worst. There’s plans, and there’s what happens. But as far as I’m concerned, I plan to live in my current house until retirement(which at 44 is a fair bit off)and then move once more to our final home. That’s it. She’ll have to bury me in the backyard of that one. Lol

Bertotti

Gretschified
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I had to move four times one year and had a family shooting! Moving stinks and you just can’t trust any movers! Package and move you most valuables and breakables on your own or with friends and family!

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
I had to move four times one year and had a family shooting! Moving stinks and you just can’t trust any movers! Package and move you most valuables and breakables on your own or with friends and family!

We have a mover booked who we've used before, very trustworthy...and everything is insured just in case Murphy and his Law are skulking about!,

Best,

BIB.

Jelly Roll Horton

Country Gent
Nov 10, 2017
Portland, OR
Last week I told my wife I’m never moving . I’m 77 and I‘ve worked all my life to build what I have where I am, and if I leave it will be toes up. To make it easier on my wife if she becomes a widow, I have begun to tag things and throw stuff out and make other plans for my departure. At the same time wife and are active, healthy, eat well, and are in good shape, and not terribly interested in or worried about moving for at least another decade. But one never knows, does one?