MOVIES

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Sands of Iwo Jima is one of my favorites. I watched it a couple of times before boot camp and saw it at least three times in boot camp. I don't remember when but they would have it on when we were at certain stages of boot camp.
Aside from the 16mm training movies (and there were damned few of those) the only TV I saw in basics was the 1969 Moon Landing. I have to say my favorite John Wayne movies are "The Quiet Man", and John Ford's Cavalry trilogy.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
I just watched 1917 and Midway the new one. Both were pretty good. There is a ww1 movie I stumbled on but haven't decided to watch it yet. I'm in the mood for some silly stupid 60's70''s and 80's scifi fantasy stuff.
And what WWI movie would that be? If you haven't seen it, "War Horse" is an excellent film, tho it's a "watch once" thing for me. Just too depressing for rewatching. "They Shall Not Grow Old" by Peter Jackson is another worth viewing. These are too realistic and accurate to be considered entertainment, but fit into the documentary mode.

For silly stupid sci-fi, you can't go wrong with "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai". Try to find "Death Race 2000" with Sly Stallone and David Caradine.

Last edited:

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
We used to keep score driving around town when we first saw that movie. Actually I think 1917 was the WW1 movie. I think I started the post then got sidetracked with family watched came back and finished the post but didn’t change what I had written.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
We used to keep score driving around town when we first saw that movie. Actually I think 1917 was the WW1 movie. I think I started the post then got sidetracked with family watched came back and finished the post but didn’t change what I had written.
Saw 1917. It's supposed to be a true story. Look into "The Lost Battalion" with Ricky Schroder. It's another true story. "Passchendaele" as well. "All Quiet On The Western Front" is a must watch---especially the original. All great WWI stories.

Last edited:

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
The Great Silence starting Klaus Kinsky is a great bleak spaghetti western.
We just watched that one a couple weeks ago.
Klaus....The humpback from Eastwood's "For A Few Dollars More". I have read the man had a brutal temper and even his children, one was the late'70s thru '80s actress/model (most famous for the movie "Cat People") Natassjia Kinski hated him. He also was a **** as a paratrooper and captured early in his service in '43 by the British...... I think in Operation Market Garden.

OK, well I'm off to read some more of the thread!

BCRatRod73

Synchromatic
Sep 1, 2020
Mississippi
Coen Bros. movies: The Big Lebowski, O’ Brother, Fargo, Raising Arizona.
Killing Zoe
Wolf Creek
Blade Runner
Alien
Hereditary
Pale Rider
Josey Wales
Trading Places
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Coen Bros. movies: The Big Lebowski, O’ Brother, Fargo, Raising Arizona.
Killing Zoe
Wolf Creek
Blade Runner
Alien
Hereditary
Pale Rider
Josey Wales
Trading Places
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
Everyone seems to love the Big Lebowski but honestly I hated it.

High Plains Drifter is great and it seems it is the only show where people think he Plyed a supernatural character but I always thought he was also a supernatural character in High Plains Drifter the end lead me to believe that as he disappears into the heat shimmer riding away.

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
When I got my first VCR I'd buy just about any movie that I liked a little but ran out of money and shelf space. Now I only buy those that are really special, the test is if I will want to watch it at least once a year.

I love box sets and most are classics:
the Aliens
The Matrix
Indiana Jones
Jurassic Parks
Terminators
AVPs
Predators
Tremors
LOTR (12 DVD set)
Star Wars
The Pacific
Band Of Brothers
Serenity and Firefly
Clint Eastwood Westerns
Tarantinos
Hunger Games
Harry Potters
Downton Abbey

And a whole bunch of single movies, mostly Sci-Fi and Fantasy.
Lots of concert videos
Lots of WW2 Movies I loved as a kid. And other war movies too, as a veteran Platoon really tore me up.

Approaching 300 Blu-Rays.

And how many others have bought the really good ones more than once? Alien...first on Beta, then VHS, then DVD and now in the Blu-Ray box set.
But that's it, I'm too old to upgrade to 4K.

Last edited:

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
When I got my first VCR I'd buy just about any movie that I liked a little but ran out of money and shelf space. Now I only buy those that are really special, the test is if I will want to watch it at least once a year.
I love box sets and most are classics:
the Aliens
The Matrix
Indiana Jones
Jurassic Parks
Terminators
AVPs
Predators
Tremors
LOTR (12 DVD set)
Star Wars
The Pacific
Band Of Brothers
Serenity and Firefly
Clint Eastwood Westerns
Tarantinos
Hunger Games
Harry Potters
Downton Abbey

And a whole bunch of single movies, mostly Sci-Fi and Fantasy.
Lots of concert videos
Lots of WW2 Movies I loved as a kid.
Approaching 300 Blu-Rays.

And how many others have bought the really good ones more than once? Alien...first on Beta, then VHS, then DVD and now in the Blu-Ray box set.
But that's it, I'm too old to upgrade to 4K.
I have some that made the transition from VHS to laser disc then DVD and also Blu Ray but now much is just online. I travel so much I like my apple Library for the simple fact it goes with me.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Lonely Are the Brave starring Kirk Douglas, Walter Matthau, Bill Bixby, and Archie Bunker (Carroll O'Conner}. Old B/W flick that my be hard to find but worth the effort.
There are many old films that are impossible to locate anywhere.
"The Long Grey Line", about West Point and Marty Maher is one I'd love to see again.
"Arsenic and Old Lace"
"Metropolis"
"Taras Bulba"
"Lawrence of Arabia"
"Zulu"
"Captains from Castille"
Only two of those are black & white, but there are tons of B&W films I'd like to see again.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
"The Long Grey Line", about West Point and Marty Maher is one I'd love to see again.
"Arsenic and Old Lace"
"Metropolis"
"Taras Bulba"
"Lawrence of Arabia"
"Zulu"
"Captains from Castille"
Only two of those are black & white, but there are tons of B&W films I'd like to see again.
I downloaded metropolis a few months ago, not as entertaining as it once was for me. I’m spoiled by to many special effects in sci-fi movies now I guess.

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
"Arsenic and Old Lace"
"Metropolis"
"Taras Bulba"
"Lawrence of Arabia"
"Zulu"
"Captains from Castille"
No opinion on the rest, but it shocks me that "Arsenic and Old Lace" would be too hard to find. And I've watched "Laurence of Arabia" and "Metropolis" recently. I could tell you where I found them, but they're out there.

Hammerhands

Country Gent
Aug 26, 2011
Winnipeg
A couple of them are on Tubi, Metropolis and Taras Bulba.

I know I saw a listing for Lawerence a couple of months ago, TCM, I think.

They all seem to be on Apple except Arsenic and Old Lace.