Jimmy Stewart movies---
Spirit of St. Louis
Glenn Miller Story
Bend of the River
Winchester '73
Harvey (including the remake)
Philadelphia Story
The Little Shop Around The Corner
The Man Who Knew Too Much (along with many other Hitchcock films)

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Men In Black I, II, III
Indiana Jones I, II, III, IIII, and soon to be V
Marx Bros. et al.
W. C. Fields

Jimmy Stewart movies---
Spirit of St. Louis
Glenn Miller Story
Bend of the River
Winchester '73
Harvey (including the remake)
Philadelphia Story
The Little Shop Around The Corner
The Man Who Knew Too Much (along with many other Hitchcock films)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Wha
What was the show where John Wayne was beat to death? The actor in that was type cast from then on. I think it was the one with him driving cattle with the kids. Not sure.
"The Cowboys". The bad guy was Bruce Dern.

Where John Wayne died in a few war movies like "Sands of Iwo Jima", the only cowboy movies he died in was "The Cowboys" and "The Shootist"---and in that one, he got shot in the back after taking out the three bad guys.

It was the oddest of all John Wayne movies, "The Conqueror", where he played Genghis Khan, that actually killed him from cancer, and most of the others in the cast, from breathing radioactive dust as they were downwind of a nuclear test site.

Last edited:

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
There are so many movies worth watching compared to a lot of the tripe being made today.

3rd Man
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
The Searchers
Nosferatu
Twilight Zone Movie
Beau Geste
7th Seal
7 Samurai
7th Voyage of Sinbad (OK, all of the Sinbad movies)
The Longest Day
In Harm's Way

Did anyone notice how few of these movies we've all listed are NOT musicals or Rom-Coms?

Last edited:

Hammerhands

Country Gent
Aug 26, 2011
Winnipeg
Serendipity is a pretty good rom-com. Tainted by a recent Harvey Weinstein story.

I’ll watch pretty much anything with John Cusack. Grosse Pointe Blank is a favourite.

I’ll also watch anything with Paul Newman. Nobody’s Fool and Slap Shot, and recently I watched Absence of Malice (****).

Last edited:

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Dirty Dozen, Kelly’s Hero’s, All Quiet on the Western Front, Where Eagles Dare, would love to see Golden Earings but haven’t seen it available on iTunes, maybe Amazon prime, Guns of Navarone. Tv series Firefly and the movie

Cassotto

Gretschie
Jun 16, 2019
Spain
In that case, I'd like to watch a couple of "Columbo" episodes.

I watched them. "A Stitch in Crime" (which was premiered in Spain in the evening of the day I was born), and another one which I recommend to you fellow musicians, "Swan Song". Though no Gretsch to be seen, Johnny Cash and his guitar are all over the place, and he happens to be one of the few murderers Columbo feels sympathy for and likes.

DennisC

Country Gent
May 11, 2017
Germany
I asbolutely loved Idiocracy.

Could watch hours and hours of "Aw, my Balls!" ... the furniture is kinda handy, too ... not sure about Brawndo, all these electrolyte-loaden drinks I came to know so far tasted frighteningly artifical - meh, me no like...

Recently, I rewatched Short Cuts, which is one of those movies I bought on DVD because Tom Waits appears in them and can highly recommend it for anyone having three hours to kill. I was a bit disappointed in "The Book of Eli" ... my own belief or unbelief put aside - a blind guy traveling through a postapocalyptic wasteland formerly known as USA reciting the Bible that was lost in total in the war before sounds ... kinda promising, but it appeared to be just boring to me - maybe I missed something, but it just didn't deliver to me what the rough outlines made me expect. May get another try...

Full Metal Jacket always is a good choice, for several reasons this is a great movie.

Ironweed - too, a great movie! Again, Tom Waits drew me there, accompanied by Jack Nicholson, and - if the viewer allows the movie to - it's digging deep. In the misery of the miserable, and in the viewer's mind. May spark a thought or two...

Irina Palm is next on my list, likely this evening this will be watched.

Hope I didn't repeat myself here...

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I just watched 1917 and Midway the new one. Both were pretty good. There is a ww1 movie I stumbled on but haven't decided to watch it yet. I'm in the mood for some silly stupid 60's70''s and 80's scifi fantasy stuff.

bhatta

Gretschie
Jun 29, 2020
Bangalore
. I'm in the mood for some silly stupid 60's70''s and 80's scifi fantasy stuff.
Movies are too short :)
I started with Star Trek TOS will move on to Next Generation et all ...
Btw, Galaxy Quest,
The Man from Earth
The Sunset Limited
The Banger Sisters
Premonition
All are favs

Last edited:

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
"The Cowboys". The bad guy was Bruce Dern.

Where John Wayne died in a few war movies like "Sands of Iwo Jima", the only cowboy movies he died in was "The Cowboys" and "The Shootist"---and in that one, he got shot in the back after taking out the three bad guys.

It was the oddest of all John Wayne movies, "The Conqueror", where he played Genghis Khan, that actually killed him from cancer, and most of the others in the cast, from breathing radioactive dust as they were downwind of a nuclear test site.
Sands of Iwo Jima is one of my favorites. I watched it a couple of times before boot camp and saw it at least three times in boot camp. I don't remember when but they would have it on when we were at certain stages of boot camp.