MOVIES

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
As long as we're all housebound, and have time for other things than playing guitar, I suggest we come up with a list of recommended movies. They can be silly, deep, apropos, pointless, whatever. What are your suggestions for a couple of hours of entertainment?

Topical---
Mad Max (all four)
The Last Man on Earth (all of them from Vincent Price to Will Smith)
Zombieland
Outbreak
Night of the Living Dead---all of the variations

Fun---
Blues Bros.---find the extended version. It answers a lot of questions
Buckaroo Banzai
5th Element

Series---
LOTR/Hobbit
Band of Brothers
Blackadder (box set---thanks you, Dear wife))
Monty Python (box set---this one, too)

I've Tivo'd Koyaanisqatsi and Metropolis as well as other stuff. Just watched the 1905 Battleship Potemkin yesterday (The borscht WAS bad,)
Old John Wayne and Jimmie Stewart westerns anytime.

calebaaron666

Friend of Fred
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
How about this colorized version of the '68 classic?

Nothing beats the B&W version
BUT I have a special place in my heart for the crude colorized vhs version. It’s what the Home Vision Video had to rent when I was a kid.
I still own a colorized version as well as the new beautifully remastered Criterion Collection Blu-Ray of the b&w.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Drop Dead Fred
What About Bob

I have been wanting to go back and watch all the old Terence Hill & Bud Spencer spaghetti westerns. I guess now is the time.
My Name Is Nobody---good one!

Plenty of great westerns---
John Ford/John Wayne 1948/9 cavalry movies
Once Upon a Time In the West
How the West Was Won
Tarantino's Hateful 8 and Jango
Eastwood

Hammerhands

Country Gent
Aug 26, 2011
Winnipeg
I am most of the way through the Clapton doc. I got to them introducing his child and had to stop.

My rating system:
zero is possible, but it would have to be a movie where I think I could make a better film myself
* really bad
** I don’t want to watch it again
*** I would watch it again
**** I want to watch it again

The only five star on my list, which is about five years old, so doesn’t include most of my favourites, is Rogue One.

Some recently watched films I recommend:
***Isle of Dogs
***The Man Who Killed Don Quixote [I’m feeling it may go to four]
****Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling

PPV Movies I could rent:
$0.99 Death of Stalin
Ford v Ferrari
The Irishman
Red Penguins [a doc about a mobbed up russian hockey team] [I guess this is still at film fests]
Stiv: No Compromise No Regrets [a doc about Stiv Bators]
Zero Theorem

Recently watched movies about Formula 1:
***Grand Prix [James Garner]
Grand Prix is exceptional for what were innovative camera angles and seeing some of the old tracks in their longer and deadliest layouts.
**1: Life on the Limit
**Rush
***Senna
***Weekend of Champions/Afternoon of a Champion
****Williams

Movies I want to watch about F1:
$0.99 Tommy Byrne: Crash and Burn
$0.99 Ferrari 312B
The Driver [aka Grand Prix Driver]
Drive To Survive Season I
Drive to Survive Season II
Ayrton Senna – Racing Is in My Blood
Barry Sheene and James Hunt – When Playboys Ruled the World
Champions Forever: aka The Formula One Drivers/One by One/The Quick and the Dead
Driving Ambition – a Season with Eddie Jordan
Ferrari race to immortality
$2.49 Grand Prix – the Killer Years (59 minutes)
Hunt V Lauda: F1’s Greatest Racing Rivals
Jackie Stewart – the Flying Scot

If you subscribe to F1TV Access you can watch lots of historic races, not all of them in english.

Last edited:

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
I've never been a particularly big Stephen King fan, but the current high quality TV production scene has led to some really goof watching. 11.22.63 (Hulu series), 1927 (Netflix movie), Castle Rock, seasons one and two (Hulu series), The Outisider (HBO series). And in a similar vein, though not Kind, The Man in the High Castle (Amazon Prime series).

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 23, 2010
tappan ny
Titanic - I cry every time I watch it . One of the most romantic movies EVER ! But I won't tell you how it ends ...sorrry
Anything by Mel Brooks
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Dayzed and Confused
Hollywood Knights
The Three Stooges
Abbot and Costello
Fred Astair movies are good too

Gewdkharma

Gretschie
Jan 14, 2018
Gig Harbor, WA
I've never been a particularly big Stephen King fan, but the current high quality TV production scene has led to some really goof watching. 11.22.63 (Hulu series), 1927 (Netflix movie), Castle Rock, seasons one and two (Hulu series), The Outisider (HBO series). And in a similar vein, though not Kind, The Man in the High Castle (Amazon Prime series).

Just watched The Man in the High Castle series, really enjoyed it.

DennisC

Country Gent
May 11, 2017
Germany
Really have to think here ... Orgazmo and the great Dictator are lying at my foot end ... the latter I can confirm is great, Orgazmo, ... well ... I saw it once, but I was, kinda, memory-challenged then. I still know I laughed a lot.

Idiocracy always is fun to watch, as are all Beavis and Butt-head ... sadly, some are censored due to exposing dangerous behaviour and political correctness-madness in the nineties made MTV stop broadcasting or selling these ... as if anyone would try this at home ... well, the episode "tired" reminds me of, actually, me (... our hill was less than 2 meters high, so this wasn't anywhere near dangerous...).

I think I got a box of Russ Meyer's movies somewhere I haven't seen yet. Always worth it.

And a bunch of concerts on DVD, too, of course. I think I'll chose Iggy Pop today.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
I think the original version is better for a first time viewer, but if you’re re-watching it, the extended version is fantastic.
At least the extended version answers many questions, like, how does the Bluesmobile fly, where did Elwood get the spray glue (strong stuff), and so on. It's an extra 15-20 minutes, and worth hunting for a copy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steve McQueen and James Dean---the two coolest guys in movies---were both from Indiana.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Odd, unusual movies-----
Death Race 2000---one of the stupidest, idiotic, worthless films ever made---funny, too.
Night On Earth---five vignettes including the one with Roberto Benigni, the most and hardest I've ever laughed from a movie
The Red Violin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Netflix---
Love, Death, and Robots
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Last edited:

HypotenusLuvTriangle

Country Gent
Oct 27, 2010
Whittier, Ca
DEATHGASM, all caps.
Seriously one the most hilarious, gratuitous horror comedies I've seen since Evil Dead 2.

Also, checkout Kung Fury. I was one of the original backers when it went up on GoFundMe.

Wolfcop was pretty great too.