Learning

GuitAl

Electromatic
Jun 10, 2020
Gouda - The Netherlands
Hi, me again. A starter with a beautiful 2622T. I am taking lessons in a music school from a young guitar teacher. I want to do some extra study on-line. I want to learn how to play some easy blues. I saw 'Texas Blues Mastery'. Is that something you would recommend to me as a novice? Or other courses you can recommend me? Thanks.

radd

Friend of Fred
Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
How serious are you? Consider spending about $30 month and get a full pass to Blues Guitar Unleashed. Or just purchase one of the lesson sets. Griff Hamlin is the owner and teacher and is actively involved with the forum that he runs in conjunction with his program BGU.

I have no connection with Griff’s program other than being a very happy with it.

forum
http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/forum/index.php

Lesson ad
http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Howdy! Welcome aboard!

Like others have said, learn the chords, the scales, the basics first. Listen to the Blues masters---and there are many to choose from. The Blues covers a seriously broad spectrum. Personally, it's Chicago Blues, the Chess Records stuff, for my tastes. Mississippi Delta, the original home of the Blues, is grittier, more raw, simpler stuff, and is a great place to start your journey. Thing is, there are so many styles, so many different personal aspects to the Blues (as in any other genre) that you really need to decide which style truly speaks to you.

I think it's nothing that one can truly learn from lessons, unless your teacher is an elderly black man that's been playing it since he was old enough to pick up an instrument. It's something that can take a lifetime.

Enjoy the journey!

GuitAl

Electromatic
Jun 10, 2020
Gouda - The Netherlands
Howdy! Welcome aboard!

Like others have said, learn the chords, the scales, the basics first. Listen to the Blues masters---and there are many to choose from. The Blues covers a seriously broad spectrum. Personally, it's Chicago Blues, the Chess Records stuff, for my tastes. Mississippi Delta, the original home of the Blues, is grittier, more raw, simpler stuff, and is a great place to start your journey. Thing is, there are so many styles, so many different personal aspects to the Blues (as in any other genre) that you really need to decide which style truly speaks to you.

I think it's nothing that one can truly learn from lessons, unless your teacher is an elderly black man that's been playing it since he was old enough to pick up an instrument. It's something that can take a lifetime.

Enjoy the journey!

Hi, Yes I agree with you. Hard to find such a man in Holland ........ I love how BB King plays. The easiness in his tones, the stops, just great. Many blues rivers to cross I'm afraid .......... Thanks for you advise.

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
All I can advice to you is this:
Find someone experienced as a tutor. Someone in your neighbourhood who you really enjoy to listen to.
Find a fellow beginner (pianist, bassist, drummer etc.) who is on your level and take her/him with you on your learning journey. I.e.: Establish a band. Quick.
Find an efficient way to hold your pick. Your way.
Ask yourself wether you need a pick at all.
Always use a metronome.
Always record what you are playing.
Use a string-gauge you feel really comfortable with.
Try to make your notes and chords sound nice before you practice scales and soli.
Don`t waste your time learing someone else`s soli.
Don`t waste your time on songs and other content you are not interested in.
Try to work on your own songs starting with the playing-skills that you already have.
Don`t try to be the fastest guitarist on earth. The words are more important than how fast you are able to speak them.
(If speed is something that you find neccessary to speak the way you wish, don`t make yourself look like an idiot by performing things in front of people that you don`t have absolute command of.)
Again: Don`t make yourself look like an idiot by performing things in front of people that you don`t have absolute command of. Do simple stuff and do it with total confidence.
Whistle your solo on a taperecorder/cellphone and try to learn it note by note.
Only buy equipment that is inspiring and easy to sell without loss.
Remember that it takes 10.000 hours to be an expert at anything.
Yes it`s true:
It takes time and endurance.

Just my two cents. (And I am still 5.000 hours away from that goal.)

Last edited:

radd

Friend of Fred
Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
Again: Don`t make yourself look like an idiot by performing things in front of people that you don`t have absolute command of. Do simple stuff and do it with total confidence..)

like an idiot I did that that over the holidays, and I know better. Thank goodness it was in front of long time friends and family. Yup, playing something just out of my reach, not by much, but enough to make me feel like an idiot.:oops:

benjwri

Country Gent
Oct 27, 2011
Central ON Can
I'll go along with Radd. Blues Guitar Unleashed is an ecellent option. Griff puts a lot of free clips on you tube and facebook...all are well done. He doesn't waste a lot of time showing off...a minute at the start...then the rest is lesson!
Justin is pretty good also but I find that he 'waffles' (??) when he gets out of his comfort zone.

radd

Friend of Fred
Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
I'll go along with Radd. Blues Guitar Unleashed is an ecellent option. Griff puts a lot of free clips on you tube and facebook...all are well done. He doesn't waste a lot of time showing off...a minute at the start...then the rest is lesson!
Justin is pretty good also but I find that he 'waffles' (??) when he gets out of his comfort zone.

I like Justin, one difference between his lessons and Griffs, Justin’s are just a how to play a particular song. Griffs are actual lessons starting with the very basics and going all the way to very complex leads in very structured formats that build on each other.

Latest posts