Jokes thread

drmilktruck

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Double Platinum Member
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
My grandson just got an oboe from his junior high band.
Band or orchestra is a requirement.
It's the 2nd day. He's offended every duck in the world.
Such is my life.
Two most popular instruments in the United States are piano and guitar. Yet they are usually not taught in schools and are not part of the band or the orchestra. Seems an outdated idea to keep feeding those groups, when you can give kids guitar lessons and piano lessons and they might play for a lifetime.

Duo Slinger

Country Gent
Sep 11, 2020
California, USA
Two most popular instruments in the United States are piano and guitar. Yet they are usually not taught in schools and are not part of the band or the orchestra. Seems an outdated idea to keep feeding those groups, when you can give kids guitar lessons and piano lessons and they might play for a lifetime.
Well, to be fair, a lot of school instruments are for marching bands. Have you ever tried to march with a piano?

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Well, to be fair, a lot of school instruments are for marching bands. Have you ever tried to march with a piano?
Remember the Woody Allen bit where he's trying to march with a chair and a cello?

I made a comment to one of the marching band directors I worked with that they shouldn't try to play rock and roll with tubas.
He said you can't play electric guitar while marching.
Then I told him about Pignose amps.

Duo Slinger

Country Gent
Sep 11, 2020
California, USA
Remember the Woody Allen bit where he's trying to march with a chair and a cello?

I made a comment to one of the marching band directors I worked with that they shouldn't try to play rock and roll with tubas.
He said you can't play electric guitar while marching.
Then I told him about Pignose amps.
Man... that's enough to make marching band cool.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
So many marching bands and drum corps groups now have such huge percussion pits with timpani, xylos, gongs, amplification, etc. that this old marching band geek barely recognizes them as "marching" groups any longer.
My Dad commented on the Notre Dame drummer playing drums mounted on a cart. He was flipping around, flailing away.
"Bet he feels ridiculous", Dad said.
I replied, "Not as ridiculous as the guy that has to pull the cart around."