I've got a fever and the only prescription is more TWANG!

Igotgas

Electromatic
Sep 25, 2022
Zürich
I'm going after that spaghetti western/ surf/country TWANG. I've narrowed my choices down to the 6120RHH and 55vs Chet Atkins. First of all I love the western motifs on both guitars. Second, they both have that TWANG that I'm after. Unfortunately no one in my part of the world has either for me to play. I will have to wait until early 2023. So all I have to go on are YouTube videos. I am leaning more towards the 55 with the T-Armounds pickups. There is 55vs video from "my twangy guitar" that always causes an arousal in my jeans, if you know what I mean. 😉
But yet, I've heard, on this site and others, that some people don't like the single coil pups in hollow body guitars. That they don't play well in a live setting. So can these people please come fourth and explain your heresy. 😅
What I'm really asking is, convince me to get the filtertrons over the dynasonic/T-Armound pups for playing* gigs in small venues/bars.

*music would be Rockabilly/ country blues with mostly cleans and very little (Chuck Berry) type distortion.

RHH vs 55vs. Let the fighting begin. Lol. 🤣

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
T-Armonds will certainly get you the twang you seek. Hollow bodies will tend to feedback before a solid body regardless of pickups. Feedback can be avoided by watching your sound levels, and by keeping some distance between you and the amp. I like single coils myself.

I'd suggest waiting until you can try them both for yourself. YouTube videos aren't going to give you a true sense of what either guitar is really like. You've got to experience that for yourself in a live setting. Good luck!

Igotgas

Electromatic
Sep 25, 2022
Zürich
T-Armonds will certainly get you the twang you seek. Hollow bodies will tend to feedback before a solid body regardless of pickups. Feedback can be avoided by watching your sound levels, and by keeping some distance between you and the amp. I like single coils myself.

I'd suggest waiting until you can try them both for yourself. YouTube videos aren't going to give you a true sense of what either guitar is really like. You've got to experience that for yourself in a live setting. Good luck!
I agree. I will never order a guitar online. I prefer to play before I pay for any guitar. That being said, these YT videos are only making my gas even worse.
Re: playing live. This won't be in a high gain/distortion setting. I picture a three piece band with a stand up bass and a three/four piece drum set. Maybe a fourth player for rhythm guitar, maybe not. I have a looper for now. It "shouldn't" be too loud.

Emergence

Synchromatic
Gold Supporting Member
May 25, 2022
New York
One man’s opinion here. You need to play a guitar to know how it will respond to your playing. That’s hard to do when they’re not available. But there are a few things to consider that haven’t been mentioned yet.

My problem with single coil pickups is hum and there’s little that can be done to minimize it in hollow body guitars except a standby switch for when you’re not playing. There’s no such problem with Filter’Trons.

The second thing to think about is what you mean by twang. It’s more than treble. To me, it more about how the guitar is played. My Gretsch has Filter’Trons and I still roll off treble a bit to keep the sound from being piercing. Also, the spaghetti western twang has a lot of mids that make the sound richer. It’s almost a baritone guitar tone to me. I get it with the TVJ Classic Plus I installed in my Gibson SG with a little neck pickup added in. Country twang? I have a Telecaster for that. You may also want to think about picks and strings. Choose your pick for the attack you want. Nickel wrap strings warm your twang a bit, especially with a wound G.

Personally, I’d go for Filter’Trons, TVJ Classic and Classic Plus if you can get them. Twangier than that, maybe Ray Butts pickups. But that’s just one man’s opinion.

rmconner80

Electromatic
Jun 19, 2017
Clifton VA
I’m a big fan of TV Jones pickups and am confining my comments to those specifically.

Filtertrons are absolutely amazing. But they got nothin’ on Dynasonics… For what you are describing I’d go for the Dynas.

Seamus

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 25, 2011
New England
Maybe I'm a weirdo. Not sure what it is about these particular pickups and their frequency ranges, but I strongly prefer Filtertrons if it's just the guitar, yet with a full band, I love Dynasonics just as much as Filtertrons.

But I concur -- for that twang, go Dynas! Nothing quite like that sound. That said, either will work extremely well for that. It's like choosing between hot sauces. Both are gonna bring it. :)

Igotgas

Electromatic
Sep 25, 2022
Zürich
I’d get both!
T-Armond in the front, filtertron in the back.
My Falcon is a twang monster!
My style is definitely twang oriented.
View attachment 190848
I'm curious about the tones you achieve with this set up and what you use each pickup for. I'm mostly an acoustic player so my "electrical knowledge" is very limited. What I know from playing around on my Ibanez, I thought you would want the dynasonic at the bridge for the Twang, and the humbucker on the neck for a more bluesy fat sound? So how does your set-up sound? Please educate me. 🙏

drmilktruck

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Double Platinum Member
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN

Adrian Whyte was a GDP member. Nice demo.
Maybe I'm a weirdo. Not sure what it is about these particular pickups and their frequency ranges, but I strongly prefer Filtertrons if it's just the guitar, yet with a full band, I love Dynasonics just as much as Filtertrons.

But I concur -- for that twang, go Dynas! Nothing quite like that sound. That said, either will work extremely well for that. It's like choosing between hot sauces. Both are gonna bring it. :)

I think this guy did pretty well twangin' with Dynas.

Irish-Jay

Electromatic
Silver Member
Jul 2, 2015
Vancouver, WA
One man’s opinion here. You need to play a guitar to know how it will respond to your playing. That’s hard to do when they’re not available. But there are a few things to consider that haven’t been mentioned yet.

My problem with single coil pickups is hum and there’s little that can be done to minimize it in hollow body guitars except a standby switch for when you’re not playing. There’s no such problem with Filter’Trons.

The second thing to think about is what you mean by twang. It’s more than treble. To me, it more about how the guitar is played. My Gretsch has Filter’Trons and I still roll off treble a bit to keep the sound from being piercing. Also, the spaghetti western twang has a lot of mids that make the sound richer. It’s almost a baritone guitar tone to me. I get it with the TVJ Classic Plus I installed in my Gibson SG with a little neck pickup added in. Country twang? I have a Telecaster for that. You may also want to think about picks and strings. Choose your pick for the attack you want. Nickel wrap strings warm your twang a bit, especially with a wound G.

Personally, I’d go for Filter’Trons, TVJ Classic and Classic Plus if you can get them. Twangier than that, maybe Ray Butts pickups. But that’s just one man’s opinion.
Great advice. As for pups, the vast majority of my guitars have either TVJ or Lollar; only a few with “stock.” I love the tone from those two brands. Maybe it’s a PNW thing 🤷‍♂️😄

Cryin_Caleb_Aaron

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
I'm curious about the tones you achieve with this set up and what you use each pickup for. I'm mostly an acoustic player so my "electrical knowledge" is very limited. What I know from playing around on my Ibanez, I thought you would want the dynasonic at the bridge for the Twang, and the humbucker on the neck for a more bluesy fat sound? So how does your set-up sound? Please educate me. 🙏
I’m not a fan of the bluesy fat sound for the neck pickup for this guitar because I don’t use that kind of tone.

A Dyna or t-Armond in the neck is SUPER twangy. Big fat twang. Great for that spaghetti western/spy soundtrack sound. Very Duane Eddy.

A Filtertron in the bridge is very twangy too. It’s great for rockabilly, country etc. a bridge Dyna is fine, but it’s a little thin for me. I like the bigger sound of a Filtertron the bridge of a Gretsch.

The middle position with both pickups sounds great for surf stuff.

Igotgas

Electromatic
Sep 25, 2022
Zürich
I’m not a fan of the bluesy fat sound for the neck pickup for this guitar because I don’t use that kind of tone.

A Dyna or t-Armond in the neck is SUPER twangy. Big fat twang. Great for that spaghetti western/spy soundtrack sound. Very Duane Eddy.

A Filtertron in the bridge is very twangy too. It’s great for rockabilly, country etc. a bridge Dyna is fine, but it’s a little thin for me. I like the bigger sound of a Filtertron the bridge of a Gretsch.

The middle position with both pickups sounds great for surf stuff.
Makes sense. My Ibanez is a double humbucking rocker. Even on that guitar I can get some really decent twang tones. Of course that's only on the bridge pup, volume and tone turned down a bit and some more knob turning on my amp but I can get there.
I do enjoy a fat blues solo. So maybe a RHH with a T-Armond bridge or a 55vs with a filtertron neck. 🤔 I don't know if my gas can hold over that long, I'm already looking for Duo Jets I can go play.
NOT-PART-OF-THE-PLAN. But here I am.
Now gassing for TWO guitars instead of one.

Latest posts