Is this a Gretsch Vintage (I Think It's late '50ties) ...

SrOtter

Electromatic
Jun 7, 2022
denmark
Found this old beautiful Gretsch guitar somewhere, but can't read the serial no.
Anyone who can chime in with some infos of the build year ??

Attachments

• Asgers Gretsch II.jpg
    Asgers Gretsch II.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 148
  • Asgers Gretsch IV.jpg
    Asgers Gretsch IV.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 124
  • Asgers Gretsch V.jpg
    Asgers Gretsch V.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 131
  • Asgers Gretsch VII.jpg
    Asgers Gretsch VII.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 148

Pemberton

Gretschie
May 4, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
Model 6117, Gretsch Double Anniversary in sunburst. Looks like the serial number is 51883, which dates it to 1962, plus it has HiLo’Tron pickups that Gretsch started using on the Anniversary model beginning in 1960 (‘58/‘59 would’ve had Filter’Tron pickups). Also, around that time the Anniversary model received a bound fretboard. Tuners are non-original.

Last edited:

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
My guess would be 1961 and on due to the hilo trons but I am in no way an expert or even close when it comes to vintage.

Edit: Pemberton got in before me.

knavel

Country Gent
Dec 26, 2009
London, England
1962-ish as stated. Without reading the s/n it could be from the succeeding years, maybe till mid1966 or so.

What tells you that is the HiLo Trons (standard from 1960) and the presence binding on the neck (standard from circa 1962 if memory serves).

Note that the tuners are not original. Also note the cracked pickguard--they can be fragile. Watch out for binding rot on any vintage Gretsch.

Last edited:

Wood Hollow

Electromatic
Apr 20, 2022
Indiana
OP, I see you’re in Denmark. First off, nice find! Find it in a shop? Private party? I used to hit up estate sales, pawn shops, garage sales, weekly shopper ads, etc.. I never came across much to mention. The usual collection of Squiers, Monkey Wards special, the occasional 60’s Stella…

ForTheLoveOfIvy

Gretschie
Feb 28, 2022
London
Would the space control bridge have been standard on this? I had a green '63 Double Anni that had a bar bridge.

* Googling this now I realise that mine must've had it's bridge changed. ☺️

Last edited:

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
The screw hole patterns are different,so it’s pretty easy to verify a factory original Bigsby on an Anniversary. Not common and most Bigsbified Anniversaries had them added aftermarket, but we’ve definitely seem the occasional factory original ones. The presence of a period correct bar bridge is usually the first hint that makes it worth double checking.