Important Guitar Players That Are Not As Popular As They Should Be

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
Five pages of responses and no one has mentioned Bill Frisell and Greg Leisz...
I’ve never known quite what to make of Bill Frisell. I definitely hear Dale’s understated approach coming through in his playing. I met him once or twice, back when we were both studying with Dale, and he seemed very shy. Gordon Close employed him as a teacher and he was very shy and reserved. Kenny Vaughan heard him playing at Gordon’s store and signed up for lessons, immediately. I remember hearing the tail end of Frisell’s lessons, while I was waiting to take my lesson, and he was an impressive player, even back then. I was green with envy, at the time. It was obvious that Dale knew that Frisell had a lot going for him.

Maybe it’s just his personality, but he is so reserved, and so laid back as a player. I know that he can get out in front and be heard. It’s very laid back material, but Frisell gets right in there and makes his presence known. I don’t always hear that in Frisell’s solo material.

Dale is laid back, but he can get out front and command the attention of the listener, and i didn’t turn out laid back, having been known to blow the hats off of the first two rows, even if they weren’t wearing hats. :)

BTW, when finding that clip, I ran into this. I wish I had been there.

GlenP

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2019
WA
Popularity doesn’t come from technical virtuosity. It comes from great song writing and vocals delivered by an attractive and engaging front man or woman. As much as we’re loathe to accept it, the guitarist is secondary to all that unless he’s the front man.
Case in point: Glenn Frey vs Don Felder. The cowboy-chords singer beats out Mr. Fingers, typically.

Latest posts