I''m a Dutchman!

Uncle Daddy

Friend of Fred
Jan 19, 2012
Maldon UK
My recently retired cousin has found time to do a deep dive on our family history. Turns out my 8th great grandfather was at the Old Bailey on a murder charge, but got off by lying through his teeth. OK then. Additionally, cus traced our ancestry to the Dutch/German boarder. The family name Kemp has been Anglicised from Von Kempen, and Rob has traced the family back to the town.

Still won't get me an EU passport though, but it may explain my red hair and blue eyes, and my sudden interest in lederhosen.

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 23, 2010
tappan ny
@Uncle Daddy , the title of this thread threw me for a loop . I attended Tappan Zee High School , home of the " Flying Dutchmen "

I'm actually going to purchase a new " Tappan Zee Alumni " T- shirt today too .... lol
Never a more proud moment than when my daughter graduated from there ....one more day and it would have been exactly 40 years to the day when I graduated . Not sure who enjoyed the ceremony more that evening , me or Julie
GO DUTCHMEN ! IMG_0778.jpg Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 6.25.08 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 6.25.47 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 6.24.28 AM.png

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
Van Kampen would make you Dutch, Von Kempen would make you of German descent.

As a small child we frequently used to holiday in the Krefeld-Wuppertal area. Lots of forest without feeling lost in the sticks. Didn't see any Lederhosen though.

Last edited:

Teledriver

Synchromatic
Feb 12, 2011
Iowa City, IA
My dad was 100% Dutch, his parents having come over from Holland separately, then met and married here. That makes me 50% Dutch, and I used to kinda like Heineken. Tried it again last year...no thanks, the Irish on my other half prefers a proper Black and Tan.

I still have 3rd cousins living around the Doesburg/Archer-Drempt areas, east of Arnhem. They've come over to visit us here, and a few of my aunts have gone over to visit them.

I grew up blond and blue-eyed, but my beard (when I occasionally grew one) used to be red. It's white now, sadly. Between that 'red' and the Irish half of me, I blame the Vikings. Those dudes really got around, ya know!

DennisC

Country Gent
May 11, 2017
Germany
Lederhosen san a bayrische G'schicht, woanderswo, da schert des koan. S'söibe kannst für a Dirndl oannehm.

Dirnd ... see left.

radd

Friend of Fred
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
My dad’s family came to America from Ireland in 1845. His grandfather, back a few, lied about his age at 14 yrs old and enlisted in the Union Army and was in the Civil war. Sometime after the war his family settled in the Black Hills in South Dakota.

drmilktruck

I Bleed Orange
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
My recently retired cousin has found time to do a deep dive on our family history. Turns out my 8th great grandfather was at the Old Bailey on a murder charge, but got off by lying through his teeth. OK then. Additionally, cus traced our ancestry to the Dutch/German boarder. The family name Kemp has been Anglicised from Von Kempen, and Rob has traced the family back to the town.

Still won't get me an EU passport though, but it may explain my red hair and blue eyes, and my sudden interest in lederhosen.
My paternal grandfather is from the same area, town called Echt.

drmilktruck

I Bleed Orange
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
@Uncle Daddy , the title of this thread threw me for a loop . I attended Tappan Zee High School , home of the " Flying Dutchmen "

I'm actually going to purchase a new " Tappan Zee Alumni " T- shirt today too .... lol
Never a more proud moment than when my daughter graduated from there ....one more day and it would have been exactly 40 years to the day when I graduated . Not sure who enjoyed the ceremony more that evening , me or Julie
GO DUTCHMEN ! View attachment 186619 View attachment 186620 View attachment 186621 View attachment 186622
Proud Papa!

DoctorBB

Electromatic
Apr 4, 2022
Beaumont TX
We did my mom’s side and found out me and Beyoncé have the same 7th great grandfather. As she, by the way is big into geneology and posted the same findings as we did. Guess we’ll have to invite her to the next family reunion.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in

GO DUTCHMEN ! View attachment 186619 View attachment 186620 View attachment 186621 View attachment 186622
I see your daughter takes after your wife.

You ought to move to Holland MI or at least go to their Tulip festival.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a Polski. Daughter did one of those DNA kits, and she gets most of her ancestry thru me, and I'm like 90%+ Polski. I can't deny that girl.

5120mantis

Country Gent
Mar 6, 2011
nj
My sister traced out our family tree, the lineage starts in Italy, and my grandparents on my mother's side came in through Ellis Island, as far as my father's side it's a bit murky as when and how they arrived in the states, but they're both from Italy, I was born in the states myself, I am proud of my roots.

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
When I was an 11- year- old boyscout my principle was to do at least one good deed a day.

So one day I saw a little old man in front of our local supermarket carrying two really heavy bags.
I asked him whether he needed help and he accepted.

When we arrived at his home I asked him to which flat he woud like me to haul his purchase.
He told me to put it in front of the door carrying his surname.
To my surprise he had the same exotic surname like me!
As it turned out he and my grandfather were cousins.
He invited me in and showed an old document to me dating back to the German empire.
With this document our family was allowed to move from France to Germany.
How cool is that!

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 23, 2010
tappan ny
How cool is that!
Very cool

When i was in construction ( electrician ) I was teamed up with a guy named Billy . Were ya from he asked . So we start taking . I tell him I'm originally from 204th St & Valentine Ave in The Bronx . Billy says : My grandmother lives in that neighborhood . Whats her name I asked . He's replies with her nickname " Lovey "
My grandfather and Lovey are first cousins .... Small world and great at times

Last edited: