If I had a time machine

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
"I’m here, it’s today, and I can only live this moment in time."

The recipe to happiness. You can't change the past, future isn't here yet. You need to enjoy today. That's what you have.
Years ago, I read a book by the name of Black Holes and Time Warps, written by physicist, Kip Thorne. He spoke about wormholes and time travel, but one statement, and I can only loosely paraphrase, was that if you were crawling into a wormhole, you’d have to be careful not to collide with yourself crawling out of that wormhole. The entire edifice collapsed, because if all of this were somehow possible, which of you would be the real you? The one crawling in, or the one crawling out? More to the point; how did one person become two people? There is only one reality, and if you crawled into a wormhole and then crawled back out, you wouldn’t have to give even a moment’s thought to what some other copy of yourself was doing.

The chief takeaway, at least for me, was that in Thorne’s words, I had faced the utter fallacy of it all; there is only one reality. We have free will, and can make life altering choices, but if we sought to go back in time to try to save our younger selves from the consequences of some poorly taken decision, there would only be one of us there in the past, and that younger version of ourselves would not have the benefit of the knowledge we had gained since that time. Even if we could somehow travel back in time, we could not effectively change the past.

So, as I see it, this leaves us right back at the starting point; today. It’s all any of us has, so we can choose to accept reality, and strive to inform our future choices from the wisdom gained by experience, or we can expend our time and effort thinking about what we cannot change.

This has all of the potential for being a pleasant day. The temperature is shaping up to remain pleasant, all day, and I think we will be spared the violent monsoon storms we had yesterday. I’m off of work, and aside from some yard work, I have no pressing tasks. So, I might as well enjoy this day, because I’m stuck with it, either way.

Zeek

Country Gent
May 29, 2016
Illinois USA
I was asked as we all probably have ... if you could change one thing you have done what would it be?
My answer is always the same .. nothing.
If I did it would change now and I am ok with now.... today.

As far as time travel
"I just wanna see a show man", LOL
0-Movie-Poster.jpg

Synchro

Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
I was asked as we all probably have ... if you could change one thing you have done what would it be?
Profound words, Zeek.

Where we are today, at this very moment is the result of many, many factors. Some are within our control, and others are not. I narrowly avoided a serious traffic accident, when I was just 16. Had that gone differently, the path of my life would likely have been much different. I almost lost an engine on final, over rough terrain, in a single engine aircraft. That could easily have been fatal, given the locale. I have gotten an important job, because of one perfectly timed phone call. Many odd events have put me where I am right now, and I’m not about to think that I can improve upon reality.

There are events in my life that were unhappy, and emotionally painful, but these too, are part of who I am today. One perplexing situation which all but dominated my life for several months, when I was in my mid twenties, looks like a tiny speed bump, in retrospect, but it is exactly those sorts of experiences which have made me more capable of dealing with adversity.

Winston Churchill was a man that went through some trials and tribulations during his early years. Undoubtedly, these very experiences prepared him for the challenges of WW II. The world would be a very different place, had he not experienced the things he did.

This is true for all of us, to a varying degree. ”What might have been” is said to be one of the saddest things ever said or written, but it is a fallacy. There is only one reality.

juks

Country Gent
Nov 26, 2020
Fremont, California
Years ago, I read a book by the name of Black Holes and Time Warps, written by physicist, Kip Thorne. He spoke about wormholes and time travel, but one statement, and I can only loosely paraphrase, was that if you were crawling into a wormhole, you’d have to be careful not to collide with yourself crawling out of that wormhole. The entire edifice collapsed, because if all of this were somehow possible, which of you would be the real you? The one crawling in, or the one crawling out? More to the point; how did one person become two people? There is only one reality, and if you crawled into a wormhole and then crawled back out, you wouldn’t have to give even a moment’s thought to what some other copy of yourself was doing.

The chief takeaway, at least for me, was that in Thorne’s words, I had faced the utter fallacy of it all; there is only one reality. We have free will, and can make life altering choices, but if we sought to go back in time to try to save our younger selves from the consequences of some poorly taken decision, there would only be one of us there in the past, and that younger version of ourselves would not have the benefit of the knowledge we had gained since that time. Even if we could somehow travel back in time, we could not effectively change the past.

So, as I see it, this leaves us right back at the starting point; today. It’s all any of us has, so we can choose to accept reality, and strive to inform our future choices from the wisdom gained by experience, or we can expend our time and effort thinking about what we cannot change.

This has all of the potential for being a pleasant day. The temperature is shaping up to remain pleasant, all day, and I think we will be spared the violent monsoon storms we had yesterday. I’m off of work, and aside from some yard work, I have no pressing tasks. So, I might as well enjoy this day, because I’m stuck with it, either way.
Long time ago when I worked for HP we had the strangest training I've ever had a company organize. I would call it approach to life.

The dude running it was called Elan. Never gave his last name. Sounds a bit cultists, right? He had given that training to many top companies in the US. For the very top. Including HP CEO and his staff. So they decided to pull the whole consumer sales force in it for 3 days, over 200 people. Sizeable investment.

It was funny to see people's reactions. Many didn't get it at all. Elan spent two days tearing every little silliness apart we humans believe and practise. Day two ended with statement nothing means nothing and the fact that nothing means nothing means nothing. Some people were getting almost angry :).

Then day three he started to build up and I took away 2 nuggets that I try to keep in mind always.

1) lot of people look forward to the next step all their life and think then it's going to be great. It's going to be great when I start school, work, when I get married, when we have kids. And then on their death bed they think what happened? I never got there! All we have is this moment. Can't change the past, future hasn't happened. Enjoy this moment. That's all you ever have. If you don't, you will never be happy.

2) forgive, forget, move on. Many have been mistreated by other people. And many carry a grudge for it for the rest of their lives. Making them unhappy. The only way out that is if you forgive. If you can not forgive, you can not forget and hence you can not move on. You will always be bothered about it preventing you from being truly happy or satisfied with your life.

As said many didn't get the whole point of the training but I thought truly understanding these two points made it worth for me.

Synchro

Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
Long time ago when I worked for HP we had the strangest training I've ever had a company organize. I would call it approach to life.

The dude running it was called Elan. Never gave his last name. Sounds a bit cultists, right? He had given that training to many top companies in the US. For the very top. Including HP CEO and his staff. So they decided to pull the whole consumer sales force in it for 3 days, over 200 people. Sizeable investment.

It was funny to see people's reactions. Many didn't get it at all. Elan spent two days tearing every little silliness apart we humans believe and practise. Day two ended with statement nothing means nothing and the fact that nothing means nothing means nothing. Some people were getting almost angry :).

Then day three he started to build up and I took away 2 nuggets that I try to keep in mind always.

1) lot of people look forward to the next step all their life and think then it's going to be great. It's going to be great when I start school, work, when I get married, when we have kids. And then on their death bed they think what happened? I never got there! All we have is this moment. Can't change the past, future hasn't happened. Enjoy this moment. That's all you ever have. If you don't, you will never be happy.

2) forgive, forget, move on. Many have been mistreated by other people. And many carry a grudge for it for the rest of their lives. Making them unhappy. The only way out that is if you forgive. If you can not forgive, you can not forget and hence you can not move on. You will always be bothered about it preventing you from being truly happy or satisfied with your life.

As said many didn't get the whole point of the training but I thought truly understanding these two points made it worth for me.
Tearing every bit of silliness apart was a technique. Basically, he knew that pretty much everyone in the room would relate to one or more of those silly things, and would concede that they didn’t always exercise the best judgement. Basically, this softens the listeners, and makes them more susceptible to influence.

Concluding that nothing means nothing, etc. basically undermines the conclusions that we all carry around. He already got you to admit to yourselves that you were all guilty of being silly, and now he dropped the bombshell, that none of it has any meaning, and let you stew on that overnight.

On the third day, he delivered useful information, to an audience that may have been a bit off balance from the first two day’s revelations. This allowed those messages, which were good and useful, to make a deeper impression.

It’s a variation of Basic Training in the military. First, they strip you of self esteem, which means that the high school football hero is on par with the class nerd. Then, the only path to future self esteem is the approval of the DI, which is doled out very sparingly. At the end, most people come away with a different self image, and the nerd and the football hero may have learned to respect one another, because both survived the challenges of their training, IOW, these people are more receptive to teamwork, than they might have been before.

Horse Nation

Gretschie
Jun 7, 2022
new york
It was a dump back then ...believe me . Lived it . The only movie theaters in Times Square back then were against forum rules especially late 70s , early 80s

Actually, there was a great movie theater in the Times Square vicinity called "The Hollywood Twin." It showed exactly what poster above calebaaron666 was looking for: "every crazy exploitation/horror/adult/spaghetti-western/king fu movie showing."

I went to "The Hollywood Twin" more times than you can imagine. This was late '70s/early '80s. Greatest movie theater ever. They would show old films...and it was always a double feature. Plus, they had two screens going so it would be four old movies a week. Oh, did I go see some classics (and some trash) there. Obviously, this was pre-VCR/DVD/streaming days so the only place you could see these films was at a revival house like The Twin. The James Bond double features they showed were where I saw all the Connery Bond films in a movie theater (where movies are supposed to be seen).

That's "The Hollywood Twin" behind DeNiro. 1657067296836.png

I never went to "The Hollywood Twin" when DeNiro's creepy taxi driver would be visiting (I was too young, they wouldn't let me in), but I sure went when it changed to an oldies revival house. Two Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns for four bucks! Two Planet Of The Apes movies. Two Connery Bond films back to back! Oh, VCRs and DVDs and streaming killed such great movie going experiences for movie lovers.

Last edited:

OzzPocket

Synchromatic
Aug 11, 2020
NYS
1) I'd go back to the 60s, and tell my Dad to start getting colonoscopies starting at 40 and every 3-5 years after.

2) I'd make a quick pitstop in the 80's to tell myself to study harder in college (and pick a major I actually have an interest in), and buy as much Amazon stock as possible as soon as it's available, and hang on to it until I was richer than Thurston Howell III. ;-)

gentlemanbass

Gretschie
Aug 28, 2011
mactier
A couple week from now - get all the winning lottery numbers - all the sports events scores over the last 2 weeks - stock market.

Come back - buy a Bikini double neck - a mansion - quit the job -

You know…

Jelly Roll Horton

Country Gent
Nov 10, 2017
Portland, OR
Watch a movie. Play a record. Read a book. We’re not going back. Quantum mechanics won’t allow it. Entropy won’t allow it. Time’s arrow points in one direction only.
Some societies, Russia, for example, believe time is not linear, it’s circular, and that can explain deja vu. Others believe time is fluid, like an ocean, and we move through it with multiple incarnations. It’s interesting to tease your brain with stuff like this.

Jelly Roll Horton

Country Gent
Nov 10, 2017
Portland, OR

As far as time travel
"I just wanna see a show man", LOL
View attachment 183980

One perspective I think has been healthy for me came from my ol’ dad: "Whatever should have happened, did happen."

Emergence

Synchromatic
May 25, 2022
New York
Some societies, Russia, for example, believe time is not linear, it’s circular, and that can explain deja vu. Others believe time is fluid, like an ocean, and we move through it with multiple incarnations. It’s interesting to tease your brain with stuff like this.
Time is not linear but it's not circular either. I believe time is quantized and is part of the matrix that makes up space time and gravity. Dark energy, the expansion of the universe, stretches the matrix with quantized time appearing in the expansion. The matrix grows more slowly near large masses leading time to slow, or not appear as quickly. This is called time dilation. Space time and gravity are all manifestations of the same fundamental process. It's interesting to tease your brain with stuff like this.

DennisC

Country Gent
May 11, 2017
Germany
... time masheen, huh...?

😄

Don't really know ... there's a lot I might like to have seen, and a lot that one can take advantage of simply by knowing stuff of the then-future.

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
Being a lover of objects, most of my time travel fantasies involve shopping. Like a trip to the Gretsch factory in Brooklyn in 1955 to pick out a brand new 6120. But I'm really more of a watch collector than a guitar collector. So, I think I'd hit Manhattan circa 1930 to pick up a few new Gruen watches. Something along these lines:
061gruen2tone.jpg

When I'm done shopping, I'll swing by The Cotton Club and catch Duke Ellington.