I wonder if "Blitzkrieg Bop" could be played on a Gretsch?

ALS57

Gretschie
Jun 17, 2019
London
Absolutely, my 2420 with filtertrons is great for this kind of racket.
That Ramones gig was at the Rainbow, Finsbury Park a couple of miles down the road from me. Fantastic recording, captures what it was all about. I managed to catch them at Sheffield top rank a few months later in 1978

Sid Nitzerglobin

Country Gent
Jun 8, 2015
fROMOHIO
Played it quite a bit w/ the band w/ my TVJ'd 5655 Double Jet, not at all out of place for Ramones or any other punk/hardcore going into the right amp/pedals to my ears. My TVJ'd Franken- Ibanez RC320 is still one of my faves for any kind of rude crunchy dirt & lays down some fairly impressive chug too. Somewhat ironically, the Penguin seems to shine there for me as well.

Trash Kidd

Country Gent
Dec 14, 2015
London U.K.
Imagine going "punk" on a Gretsch? Could it be done? Check out this video from 1977 of The Ramones in concert somewhere in England. Good Lord... power chords at 100 mph, every knob on the amp dimed on "10", and blast the audience into submission in 2 minutes flat! :cool:

What you do think @Trash Kidd ? Have you and your band ever played "Blitzkrieg Bop"? 😄

Hey Butch,
About 4 years ago just for fun we played a whole set of early punk rock covers… Blitzkrieg Bop was in the set as was New Rose & Love Song by The Damned, Pretty Vacant by Sex Pistols, Do anything you wanna do by Eddie & the hot rods & a whole bunch more.. All played on my White Falcon & sounded great!
Gretsch guitars can do all genres of music…

Trash Kidd

Country Gent
Dec 14, 2015
London U.K.
Absolutely, my 2420 with filtertrons is great for this kind of racket.
That Ramones gig was at the Rainbow, Finsbury Park a couple of miles down the road from me. Fantastic recording, captures what it was all about. I managed to catch them at Sheffield top rank a few months later in 1978
The It’s Alive album is one of my favourite albums of all time!!!!

Marv666

Synchromatic
Jul 26, 2020
Germany
Obviously it can be done!
In psychobilly you'll find probably the most guitarrists Using a gretsch for distorted Sounds.

I even used my 5420 in a Hardcore Punk Band Back few years ago and got a great Sound!
What i'm kinda doing with my tone is blending the distortion and Power of Punk and Hardcore with the twang, clarity and bite of Rockabilly.

YES it can be done, and YES it works great!