I Used To Use .013's On My Gretsch Electric Guitars

FiveAces

Gretschie
Mar 1, 2009
San Diego, CA
11's seem to be ideal on my 5120.... heavy enough to keep the floating bridge in place and gives me that nice bottom end tone i like, and yet still comfortable to play for my aging fingers. Since I don't do much for bends with my style of play, it seems to be the best all around!

Bumble 57

Electromatic
May 8, 2022
Durango Co
With my old, arthritic hands I can’t do bends on anything over .9’s. Hammer on’s work better also. I’ll drop a gauge on my acoustic as well. Just playing them old blues.

Ohthis

Electromatic
Jun 29, 2022
Netherlands
I use 11's on all my guitars. Still easy to bend strings. 13's for me aren't comfortable. I used to use them, but a guitarist I know, told me that those heavy gauges make it more likely to develop finger problems when getting older

SAguitar

Country Gent
Jan 17, 2020
Jack Plate, Oregon
I'm playing 10s on all my electric guitars, and have for decades. About once a year I buy about 20 sets and am good to go for awhile. At home they feel fine, on stage it often seems like I should be using at least 11s.

radd

Friend of Fred
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
10’s on my solid body long scale Fenders, 11’s flat wounds on my short scale hollowbody Gretschs and 12’s on my long scale Martin Acoustics.

Lou Coppolino

Gretschie
Jul 23, 2022
Howell, NJ
I'm a big fan of D'Addario .010's and .09's.

As I get older, I don't want to work as hard and not have my sound compromised.

I'll use a heavy string set if I need to.

I don't prefer them.

Neal

Electromatic
Oct 12, 2013
Virginia
I come from an acoustic guitar background, so 12’s on my two Gretsch hollow bodies, with a wound third, are a must. Otherwise, my death grip throws everything sharp.

Last edited:

stiv

Country Gent
Sep 12, 2014
Firenze, Italy
I used to use 13s (0.14 high E) as well on my Loar with p90s, but it was always open G tuned and I played heavy copper slide on it, so I didn’t need to bend.
Sounded great though. Brand new heavy gauge + high action would resurrect even the dullest of guitar.

Latest posts