I miss the :mrgreen: smiley

JeffreyLeePierre

Country Gent
That grinning / sneering one that I often use as an apology when writing a bad joke.

And I write lotsa bad jokes (here again, for instance, the :mrgreen: smiley would pleasantly punctuate that sentence).

Looked like that:
11628059.png

Anybody has any clue about a replacement?

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Feb 13, 2012
France
Yes indeed @JeffreyLeePierre ! Me too !

But it's me, OK ? Hey, where's the Mr Green to punctuate, now ?

Moreover, now you have to multi-click to access smileys, and the smiley menu closes each time... We call it progress...

"Pourquoi faire simple quand on peut faire compliqué ?" - Jacques Rouxel, "Les Shadoks" :

48th-anniversary-of-first-tv-broadcasting-of-les-shadoks-6231897669632000-hp2x.gif

Translation : Why make it simple when you can make it complicated ?

A+!

JeffreyLeePierre

Country Gent
I don't use any hieroglyphics, only words.
Of course, we do need a sarcasm font.
On one hand, you're right: the written language has everything to make oneself understood, provided you care about it.

On the other hand, we're writing on a forum board which is another level of language, closer to verbal communication. As it still misses non oral communication signals, smileys are a basic but smart addition.

(And they are not hieroglyphs, BTW, they don't replace a word or a syllab).

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
On one hand, you're right: the written language has everything to make oneself understood, provided you care about it.

On the other hand, we're writing on a forum board which is another level of language, closer to verbal communication. As it still misses non oral communication signals, smileys are a basic but smart addition.

(And they are not hieroglyphs, BTW, they don't replace a word or a syllab).
I don't do single letters or numbers in place of words, either. I may shorten a word, like thru, to simplify it. But I'm not a teenaged kid, I learned language from nuns who were quite the sticklers about proper use of the language. I understand that the printed word doesn't give you the same understanding as a face-to-face discussion, but I don't think cutesy cartoons are the way to go for me. YMMV.

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 23, 2010
tappan ny
Yeah, what's up with the "Drum Forum"? I was confused, albeit glad, when I was able to get back on with the Gretsch Gang...Groot was happy, too... View attachment 176950 our View attachment 176951
...not a true-Gretsch, but Gretsch flavored...
@DasherF , if you're receiving emails from the "drum forum " , just scroll to the bottom when you get the email and " un-subscribe " ( there's been some quirks with the change over )

DasherF

Gretschie
Aug 28, 2020
25 miles SE of Rogers, Mn.
@DasherF , if you're receiving emails from the "drum forum " , just scroll to the bottom when you get the email and " un-subscribe " ( there's been some quirks with the change over )

Thanks fortheinfo...and BTB, this email came thru as "Gretsch Talk Forum"...
If I hit "unsubscribed", will GTF automatically kick in? I don't want to get cut off again...missed you guys...

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 23, 2010
tappan ny
Thanks fortheinfo...and BTB, this email came thru as "Gretsch Talk Forum"...
If I hit "unsubscribed", will GTF automatically kick in? I don't want to get cut off again...
Unsure ............. sorry ( but I don't believe so as others have un-subscribed and are still here )

dak55

Country Gent
May 31, 2018
Central Florida
I don't do single letters or numbers in place of words, either. I may shorten a word, like thru, to simplify it. But I'm not a teenaged kid, I learned language from nuns who were quite the sticklers about proper use of the language. I understand that the printed word doesn't give you the same understanding as a face-to-face discussion, but I don't think cutesy cartoons are the way to go for me. YMMV.
I see what you did there. Claimed you don't use single letters in place of words and then snuck in a YMMV.