I killed a Taylor today

David MacNeill

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2022
Boise ID
At a local music shop, in front of the register. Turned around to see a Hercules double stand with a Taylor Baby that had a glossy finish, something I’d never seen before. I gently took it out of the stand’s grip and asked the clerk about it, when his face turned white staring behind me. The full-size Taylor 12-string that hung on the other side of the stand was halfway to the floor by that point, then it hit the carpeted floor flat on its face, not even bouncing. I said, “I just lifted it straight up!” Store owner came over, saw that the neck had broken right behind the truss rod nut, and said, “The stand legs were not set near wide enough, it’s not your fault.”

I felt terrible anyway. Watching a perfectly nice guitar die is like watching a kid fall off a bike.

I decided to buy a guitar, any guitar, just to do something to atone, even though I did not have to.

I had seen an interesting all-walnut Big Baby Taylor (BBT) a week or so before in the acoustic room and went looking for it. I’d never seen a walnut-topped acoustic before and I had liked the tone, being warmer that your typical spruce-topped Taylor, which as a marque tends to favor tinkly trebles over boom. The BBT is a ⅞ size dreadnought and I don’t have any dreads anymore. I tuned it up, and strummed out the obligatory G first position, and WOW this thing is fantastic. It ain’t pretty, but it sounds WAY better than it has any right to sound for $599, so I bought it. Made me feel better and it sure lifted the mood in the store after The 12-string Incident. This is a modest locally-owned shop that I try to support before Guitar Center eats them alive, so this was personal. I used to be a Sales Manager at our local GC so I know what the soulless vultures at Bain Capital have done to them and how they are forced to methodically crush local shops without mercy.

Like I said, this was personal. I did my bit and so should you at every opportunity, even if you don’t have to.

AE356F7F-B71C-41E5-8178-11ACCB31070E.jpeg

Cryin_Caleb_Aaron

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
Man, that’s intense.
That’s what insurance is for.

I’ve often come close to breaking stuff in guitar stores. I feel like a bull in a china shop sometimes. When they have expensive guitars on display on stands near where people walk, well, it seems like only a matter or time.

In your case, the clerk was right, the stand wasn’t set up properly, and it wasn’t your fault.
That was mighty nice of you to buy something though.

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
At a local music shop, in front of the register. Turned around to see a Hercules double stand with a Taylor Baby that had a glossy finish, something I’d never seen before. I gently took it out of the stand’s grip and asked the clerk about it, when his face turned white staring behind me. The full-size Taylor 12-string that hung on the other side of the stand was halfway to the floor by that point, then it hit the carpeted floor flat on its face, not even bouncing. I said, “I just lifted it straight up!” Store owner came over, saw that the neck had broken right behind the truss rod nut, and said, “The stand legs were not set near wide enough, it’s not your fault.”

I felt terrible anyway. Watching a perfectly nice guitar die is like watching a kid fall off a bike.

I decided to buy a guitar, any guitar, just to do something to atone, even though I did not have to.

I had seen an interesting all-walnut Big Baby Taylor (BBT) a week or so before in the acoustic room and went looking for it. I’d never seen a walnut-topped acoustic before and I had liked the tone, being warmer that your typical spruce-topped Taylor, which as a marque tends to favor tinkly trebles over boom. The BBT is a ⅞ size dreadnought and I don’t have any dreads anymore. I tuned it up, and strummed out the obligatory G first position, and WOW this thing is fantastic. It ain’t pretty, but it sounds WAY better than it has any right to sound for $599, so I bought it. Made me feel better and it sure lifted the mood in the store after The 12-string Incident. This is a modest locally-owned shop that I try to support before Guitar Center eats them alive, so this was personal. I used to be a Sales Manager at our local GC so I know what the soulless vultures at Bain Capital have done to them and how they are forced to methodically crush local shops without mercy.

Like I said, this was personal. I did my bit and so should you at every opportunity, even if you don’t have to.

View attachment 195655
Sorry, David,

I get a little jaded over this type of incident.

You should have walked out, stopped at a florists shop, and bought your wife a dozen roses.

Your reward would have been better than a guitar, you bought out of guilt.

I could be wrong, but, their fault, their loss, you owed them nothing!

BIB.

Last edited:

David MacNeill

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2022
Boise ID
One of my favorite skills I developed as a former GC employee was identifying guitars that fell out of stands or off the wall by the sound they made when they hit the ground.

Nice Taylor you got there though.
Yep. The Stratocaster clang, the Les Paul thud. Couldn’t hear the fallen acoustics since they were all in a closed room with whining humidifiers. GC really doesn’t care about guitars or musicians at all anymore. Their evil corporate overlords financialized the place, gutted it, and left the wound festering.

David MacNeill

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2022
Boise ID
Sorry, but I get a little jaded over this type of incident.

I'll just bet that guitar was broken a long time ago, and they prop it up so someone like you feels soooo sorry, you just can't help but put money in their till.

Charity begins at home.

You should have walked out, stopped at a florists shop, and bought your wife a dozen roses.

Your reward would have been better than a guitar, you really didn't want.

I could be wrong, but, their fault, their loss, you owed them nothing!

Bah Humbug!

BIB.

🤦‍♂️

Hammerhands

Country Gent
Aug 26, 2011
Winnipeg
I only remember seeing one guitar get busted in a shop.

There was a store downtown called P.O.P.'s Music, the owner or manager Doug and the salesman were on the floor. I remember they had a silver Marshall Jubilee bass stack at the time, so probably 1987-1988? Some guys were picking up guitars off the wall and ...wham... one came down. They were out of there faster than the salesman could run across the store to look at the guitar. I think it was a really expensive pointy thing, I think I recall the body split open.

Everyone else in the store was stunned, my mouth was agape. Doug was rather nonchalant, he had probably seen everything by then.

In many of the stores in this city you can pickup any guitar, and in some it says to ask for permission, but P.O.P.'s said do not touch and maybe ask for assistance to retrieve a guitar, but a lot of people would just start playing something.

Last edited:

pete67

Gretschie
Oct 19, 2022
Chattanooga, Tennessee

View attachment 195655
That's a nice guitar, like those mahogany Martins. Expensive guitars give me the willys. I worked at a shop that had a D'Angelico on a wall, high up. Beneath it was a stairs going down to the basement. I HATED getting that thing down.

wildeman

I Bleed Orange
May 10, 2015
norcal
Man, that’s intense.
That’s what insurance is for.

I’ve often come close to breaking stuff in guitar stores. I feel like a bull in a china shop sometimes. When they have expensive guitars on display on stands near where people walk, well, it seems like only a matter or time.

In your case, the clerk was right, the stand wasn’t set up properly, and it wasn’t your fault.
That was mighty nice of you to buy something though.
Man, I was in Gryphon ( killer, high end shop) the other day getting some strings and looking around and stopped to stare at a beautiful '30s Euphonon acoustic, a $26,000.00 guitar 😲 , I commented on how awesome it was to see one in real life and the guy was like, I can get it out for you to play if you want...... Nope! I couldn't do it. I might have if it was already out being played though, I've played more valuable guitars but I just didn't think it needed to be disturbed by me, no way I could ever buy it, and stay married....

David MacNeill

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2022
Boise ID
Most ironic is tha
Man, I was in Gryphon ( killer, high end shop) the other day getting some strings and looking around and stopped to stare at a beautiful '30s Euphonon acoustic, a $26,000.00 guitar 😲 , I commented on how awesome it was to see one in real life and the guy was like, I can get it out for you to play if you want...... Nope! I couldn't do it. I might have if it was already out being played though, I've played more valuable guitars but I just didn't think it needed to be disturbed by me, no way I could ever buy it, and stay married....
Gryphon is my favorite music store in the world. I do lots of business with them, for myself and for friends.

Rene Asologuitar

Gretschie
Apr 3, 2022
Seattle, WA
Great story, and really good looking BBT.
I have not seen a walnut BBT myself.
I always love Taylor guitars, and I once had a BBT.
One of my fav Taylor is the GS Mini.
Thanks for this guitar story!
Rene

David MacNeill

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2022
Boise ID
Great story, and really good looking BBT.
I have not seen a walnut BBT myself.
I always love Taylor guitars, and I once had a BBT.
One of my fav Taylor is the GS Mini.
Thanks for this guitar story!
Rene
You must try one. I’m pretty jaded but this thing turned my head around. I’m going to Nashville string it since its nut is too narrow (1-11/16) to fingerpick and I only use a high-string guitar for strumming anyway.

wildeman

I Bleed Orange
May 10, 2015
norcal
Most ironic is tha

Gryphon is my favorite music store in the world. I do lots of business with them, for myself and for friends.
It's an awesome shop, I'm working up the hill at the VA right now so I get to visit more often, otherwise it's at least a hour drive each way. I still don't need to be fondling no $26,000 fiddles though 😎

David MacNeill

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2022
Boise ID
It's an awesome shop, I'm working up the hill at the VA right now so I get to visit more often, otherwise it's at least a hour drive each way. I still don't need to be fondling no $26,000 fiddles though 😎
Yep. But going to Gryphon does recalibrate one‘s conception of quality. I wanted an Olson but I found a Breedlove at Gryphon that has the same magic and that I could afford. I’ve been back many times and always come away satisfied and with my marriage intact.

It’s only money and tempus fugit, brother. Hearses don’t have luggage racks.