I guess I can go without food

twangmanster

Gretschie
Dec 29, 2021
Long Island
I really had no plans to buy any vintage again. But then this 2x10 baby popped out of nowhere. A '66 Gretsch 6162. Made by Valco. This is the one with 6937 power tubes, oscillating tremolo, and best of all, plate reverb. (In a cardboard box) Has the original brown and gold Jensen speakers, exactly as in blackface fenders. Two inputs, treble and standard. The standard is obviously darker, but that helps with Dyno's. The reverb is the biggest surprise really. Very unique, chimey and shimmers. Not lush with trails. I actually like over my reverb tank. And shes 100% hand wired and all tube. The face plate isn't to pitted, just used for 55 years, but she's still solid as a rock and a pretty loud 18 watts. Speakers still sound tight. Has a peculiar growl to her. Once the tubes are all warmed up, she really sings. Im really glad I sprung for this amp. The tremelo is good, sound best at slower speed with more intensity. I've tried a couple of different 12at7's for the 'verb, they don't make much of a difference. I'll leave my favorite RCA one in my tank, but probably won't use it this amp anyway. Just though I'd shar this. I can post pics of the back later on.

Attachments

• 20220803_162803.jpg
    20220803_162803.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 60

Armygirl

Country Gent
Mar 14, 2014
Edinburgh
I really had no plans to buy any vintage again. But then this 2x10 baby popped out of nowhere. A '66 Gretsch 6162. Made by Valco. This is the one with 6937 power tubes, oscillating tremolo, and best of all, plate reverb. (In a cardboard box) Has the original brown and gold Jensen speakers, exactly as in blackface fenders. Two inputs, treble and standard. The standard is obviously darker, but that helps with Dyno's. The reverb is the biggest surprise really. Very unique, chimey and shimmers. Not lush with trails. I actually like over my reverb tank. And shes 100% hand wired and all tube. The face plate isn't to pitted, just used for 55 years, but she's still solid as a rock and a pretty loud 18 watts. Speakers still sound tight. Has a peculiar growl to her. Once the tubes are all warmed up, she really sings. Im really glad I sprung for this amp. The tremelo is good, sound best at slower speed with more intensity. I've tried a couple of different 12at7's for the 'verb, they don't make much of a difference. I'll leave my favorite RCA one in my tank, but probably won't use it this amp anyway. Just though I'd shar this. I can post pics of the back later on.
I find instant noodles supply all I need, and allow me to get stuff like this... 👍

jbrannen

Electromatic
Nov 2, 2021
Livingston, TX
Congratulations! I've been looking for a 6162 myself, but in my case one from circa '68-'69. I played one for many years in garage bands. I never had any idea they were only putting out around 17 or 18 watts. With a "volume expander" pedal in front, it went as loud as I needed it to go. I come across 6162 models such as I'm hunting occasionally, but can't bring myself to spend nearly a grand on one I'd want. Enjoy your new baby!

powerwagonjohn

Electromatic
Nov 12, 2015
That is a great find. I really like my Gretsch Valco amps too. I have a 6152 single ended 5W W/ 12 " Jensen and a 6149 Bass Amp w/ 2 12" Jensen's. Both are great amp for a really unique tone. Ya done good!
Thanks John

Latest posts