I (fill in the blank)...

Runamok

Country Gent
I don't expect immediate gratification. As fas as I know, my package has not left the origin site, and it was scheduled for five-day shipping. I just want some accountability for pete's sake. If it was a $10 order I could care less.
Sometimes that’s true.
Other times I wonder if we’re auditioning for Jack Lemmon or Walter Matthau roles in the remake.

I fretted daily over a $20 slide I did not really need.

Highroller

Country Gent
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
Smooth recovery, Pops!

I think it's safe to say every shipping company on the planet is despised by at least half the population, so it was a low-grade infraction at worst.

My comment was as much a joke as anything else. All good. Carry on!

radd

Friend of Fred
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
I’m old, I’m still amazed I can order things from around the world and they get to my front door fast.

My only minor gripe is that Reverb requires the seller ship with a signature required on guitar purchases. Waiting all day for the delivery is annoying. It’s not the shipping company’s fault.

Pops

Gretschie
May 23, 2022
SC Midlands
My only minor gripe is that Reverb requires the seller ship with a signature required on guitar purchases. Waiting all day for the delivery is annoying. It’s not the shipping company’s fault.
Same here. I went through three days of missed/rescheduled deliveries from my only Reverb purchase to date. I finally got them to leave it via electronic signature.

Emergence

Synchromatic
May 25, 2022
New York
Only one package has gone missing in the last 10 years, bicycle tires that were replaced by the vendor. The USPS records indicated that they were delivered and placed on the porch. A year and a half later they turned up. Inside the house. Under the workbench. My wife put them away for me someplace I’d never have put them myself.

Things are different now. Tiberias, our Weaten, gets more packages than my wife and me together. She knows the letter carrier, UPS, and Amazon drivers and they know her.
image.jpg

Falconetti

Gretschie
Sep 18, 2012
Bagsville, Oxford UK
Can’t say whether USPs is better or worse than other shippers but when i ordered a Brick’s Bigsfix a few months ago i didn’t realise it had to come from Alaska !! I had low expectations of success and it took a few weeks to arrive but it was fun to track the shipment first across rural Alaska then to multiple sites in California then to London and eventually to me in Oxford UK. The tracking list had about 30 different location tags but it got to me without drama and no import tax so good service from my perspective.

The Bigsfix a brilliant product BTW

stevo

Friend of Fred
May 1, 2012
Atlanta
Kind of odd...UPS, USPS and Fedex have all been pretty stellar over here except for one or two missed deliveries that happen the next day.

I do feel bad for my USPS guy - the drop in staff means he's showing up at my house around 8pm many nights. I don't know when he sleeps.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Montgomery Wards satellite office?
And those pesky paper emails that took days to arrive.

On whim I ordered a ceramic guitar slide via Amazon this summer (remember summer?) & it took ~10 wks (I did not realize it was coming from England, It came earlier than the 2nd revised delivery estimate). Was not USPS.
I got my wife at Montgomery Wards. USPS doesn't deliver in England. They barely deliver here.
Kind of odd...UPS, USPS and Fedex have all been pretty stellar over here except for one or two missed deliveries that happen the next day.

I do feel bad for my USPS guy - the drop in staff means he's showing up at my house around 8pm many nights. I don't know when he sleeps.
The biggest problem with USPS is the guy in charge---DeJoy. The name fits.
My Dad carried the bag after Studebaker went out of business in '64. He said the US Post Office Department (as it was then known) started going downhill when the stopped using mail trains. Mail was half sorted when it got to town. Now it sits at the airport for hours. Of course the USPS isn't perfect---it's run by the government.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
My experience is that most deliveries will not knock or ring the bell upon delivery unless they are required to obtain a signature. OK with me.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
I’m old, I’m still amazed I can order things from around the world and they get to my front door fast.

Register your address. That often allows you to turn off the signature requirement or (for a fee) schedule a delivery or, my favorite for valuable items, have it waiting for you at a local store.

oneforsorrow

Country Gent
May 15, 2020
Iowa
I know the folks at my post office. My local mail person has changed recently but for the longest time, I had the same 2 that covered the last 16 years. Knew them as well. I also know most of my UPS guys. FedEx not as much. But to me, FedEx aside, they all have names and faces. Heck, I even bowled against one of the UPS guys when we were on a mixed league some years back. I'm grateful that I have the conveniences of this modern life and I hope I remain that way. I also lose my patience sometimes but it all always seems to work out.

Back in Black

Country Gent
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
USPS goes to every location every day, rain, hail, sleet snow, or dark of night. FedEx, DHL, and UPS only roll when the truck's full and, like the good doctor said, pay the USPS to deliver the last mile or so.

We don't know how good we have it now. I still remember when you had to go to the train station and pick up your delivery from Railway Express Agency. We don't have to wait for the clipper ships 'round the horn, or for the wagon train to cross the prairies. No more slow boats from China. No such animal as tracking software till the 21th century. So it goes.

Hey Slim,

We're really showing our age.

I remember going to the train station with my Dad for an ''after evening dinner'' parcel pickup.

As a little boy, it was very exciting.

The package dispatcher was a WW ll vet. He had a very badly damaged face. He had a prosthetic attached to his glasses, that included an artificial eye, and surrounding eye socket/face piece.

I always felt so sorry for him.

I got to sit up front, as the package always rode home in the back.

''Those were the days''...''This is your hometown''!

Best,

BIB.

speedicut

Friend of Fred
Jun 5, 2012
Alabama
In the 60s I would send a few box tops and a dollar off for some toy and it took so long I would forget about it.

Seamus

Country Gent
Feb 25, 2011
New England
We need to realize immediate gratification is not always possible.

I used to tout the benefits of delayed gratification. Then I won an auction for my first-ever Gretsch (a red Setzer Hot Rod), and had to go get it, after a long wait, at the actual UPS hub. I was so over-excited I left the parking lot with one of my car doors open, and nearly lost door and guitar.

Fortunately, no one witnessed this genius moment. And yet more fortunately, the guitar did not fly out that open door. But I strongly prefer short waits and front-porch delivery after that heart-stopper.