I (fill in the blank)...

Runamok

Country Gent
A watched delivery never arrives.

Yeah, why that is could get into proscribed territory.
Look to the motives of the person heading it.

What gets me are the FedEx & UPS tracking apps, which often tell me a thing has arrived at its destination—but all they did was deliver it to the post office for the final leg of the delivery!

Probably because its cheaper to have USPS deliver.
Or does UPS & FedEx now have keys to the mailboxes up the street?

My Curmudgeonly Rant.
You waiting in a new guitar?

Back in Black

Country Gent
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
USPS tracking! Ever since the pandemic hit, the postal service tracking system has been worse than useless. Why bother to issue tracking numbers when they're never updated? UPS is no better. /end rant/

Yup!

I use them all, plus DHL, and Canada Post Expedited and it's really pretty much the luck of the draw.

I've had good service with all of them, and just when you think they've got things sorted out, they really mess up badly and it's usually when you're expecting something very special, in fact the more special the package is it seems, the worse they screw up.

One thing I will say, and I won't bang the drum too loudly, I have always got my package.

I especially like the ones that are shaped like a rectangular guitar case!

I don't track a lot, Sometimes it takes as long to get from Ottawa to my address, as it does to get from point of origin to Ottawa.

Friday's are always a washout, even when tracking tells you ''out for delivery''. If it's out for delivery on Friday, you can expect it on Monday, and don't even get me started on their ability to use condo front door access codes.

Sometimes those who actually ship you package are just as much to blame, especially when they neglect to include the commercial shipping invoice.

Best,

BIB.

Last edited:

speedicut

Friend of Fred
Jun 5, 2012
Alabama
My address and another a few blocks away are identical except mine ends in 'drive'.
I can't tell you how many times deliveries get sent to the wrong place.... It's like the delivery people can't see the extra word on my address.
Another issue is with GPS.
There are at least three different addresses that show my house as the destination. One night the police banged on my door at 1 AM waking me and accusing me of beating my wife. I told them that they had the wrong address (the only thing in common with my address was the house number) and pointed out that my drivers license, address painted on my mailbox, and the street signs all showed they were at the wrong place. One cop then shoved his phone in my face and said 'if this isn't ( some street I've never heard of), then why did the GPS bring us here?'.
That's when I flew off the handle and cussed them out for being incompetent idiots and slammed the door in their face.
Somewhere, some poor woman was being beaten by her husband and the responding officers spent twenty minutes arguing with me about my address.... That really peed me off!

drmilktruck

I Bleed Orange
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
USPS tracking is bad, usually Fedex and UPS are better. USPS does do a lot of the last mile delivery for the others, especially in rural or remote areas. UPS and Fedex have no desire to deliver those packages. They're happy to pay USPS.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
USPS goes to every location every day, rain, hail, sleet snow, or dark of night. FedEx, DHL, and UPS only roll when the truck's full and, like the good doctor said, pay the USPS to deliver the last mile or so.

We don't know how good we have it now. I still remember when you had to go to the train station and pick up your delivery from Railway Express Agency. We don't have to wait for the clipper ships 'round the horn, or for the wagon train to cross the prairies. No more slow boats from China. No such animal as tracking software till the 21th century. So it goes.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
Honestly, I track everything and have not had major problems with any of them. Maybe 1-2% of packages get delayed or mistakenly routed. I have only had 1 package lost permanently (hand sanitizer early in the pandemic). imo the intent of tracking is not to watch every step of the way, as fun as that is, but to confirm deliver when (if) it happens. The mismatch between what some people expect to pay and the performance they expect is . . . sometimes amusingly incongruous, to put it nicely.

Pops

Gretschie
May 23, 2022
SC Midlands
We don't know how good we have it now. I still remember when you had to go to the train station and pick up your delivery from Railway Express Agency. We don't have to wait for the clipper ships 'round the horn, or for the wagon train to cross the prairies. No more slow boats from China. No such animal as tracking software till the 21th century. So it goes.

I'll admit we are spoiled by our modern conveniences. I remember when it used to be "allow four to six weeks for delivery." But I'm not living in the 20th Century anymore. If you offer a service, provide the damn service, or don't offer it.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
So props to kittycaster and USPS.

I ordered a shirt from kittycasterfx and didn't hear anything for 4 weeks. I contacted them, they apologized and sent it right away on Monday. It was supposed to arrive Friday but showed up today with a bunch of extras /care package stuff from kittycasterFX. Check out their tremdriver!

Thanks, kittycasterFX and USPS!

Maguchi

Electromatic
Aug 11, 2022
Lalaland
USPS tracking! Ever since the pandemic hit, the postal service tracking system has been worse than useless. Why bother to issue tracking numbers when they're never updated? UPS is no better. /end rant/
Hows about FedEx and DHL?

Maguchi

Electromatic
Aug 11, 2022
Lalaland

USPS tracking is bad, usually Fedex and UPS are better. USPS does do a lot of the last mile delivery for the others, especially in rural or remote areas. UPS and Fedex have no desire to deliver those packages. They're happy to pay USPS.
Wow, I am truly baffled by these posts. I only order 3 or 4 things a month now (more during the shutdown), however my tracking has always been within an hour or two. Of course when I know it is about to arrive, I check for updates and sometimes when they say 12 to 2 tomorrow, it will change the next day to 4-6 today. That is fine in and in my my book, outstanding service. UPS, FedEx, Amazon, USPS, DHL have all been great in my limited use.

Last edited:

Maguchi

Electromatic
Aug 11, 2022
Lalaland
No more slow boats from China.
Haha, i remember that saying from way back. Interestingly enough, I did order a couple of knockoff copies of Les Pauls from China a few months ago. They let me know at the time of purchase that it would take 6 weeks to get from China to Los Angeles. It took as long as they said, and they did notify me a couple days before and on the day of the delivery. Long story short those guitars really did come on a slow boat from China. :)

ChinaPkg.jpg

Last edited:

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I have had plenty of packages just dropped on my deck no door knock no door bell don’t even bother walking them up just toss them on the porch.

I hate when it gives me a day of delivery and I sit home waiting only to have it changed to another day or show up as delivered but there is nothing there then the truck shows up an hour or more later. I figure they pull over and just fill in delivered on their handhelds to get it done then just rush from location to location tossing stuff on porches and decks.

blueruins

Country Gent
May 28, 2013
Savannah, GA
I’m not sure it’s a sign of maturity or just being old and jaded but Ive finally gotten to the point where I can shrug off a delayed package.

Okay I know; it’s old and jaded.👴🏼

What’s been strange lately is that the guitars have initially shown about a 6 day delivery time.

Then it gets updated to say it’s arriving 3 days early👀

Then it doesn’t arrive 3 days early but it does arrive the day or two after the “optimistic” date.

It’s strange but definitely better than ⏰ late.

Been having them delivered to CVS around the corner so I can get them on the way home from work. I like that because it takes away the anxiety of it sitting outside in the elements all day.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
Folks, register your address with FedEx and UPS. Once set up, packages going to your address will automatically be added to your account and you can track them separately from the shipper. If the shipper allows it, it also allows you to customize delivery. For expensive objects before I worked from home I would have packages delivered to a local UPS or FedEx store where I can pick it up at leisure, usually on my way home.

Runamok

Country Gent
I'll admit we are spoiled by our modern conveniences. I remember when it used to be "allow four to six weeks for delivery." But I'm not living in the 20th Century anymore. If you offer a service, provide the damn service, or don't offer it.
Montgomery Wards satellite office?
And those pesky paper emails that took days to arrive.

If its coming on a container ship—4 to 6 wks may be the upside.

On whim I ordered a ceramic guitar slide via Amazon this summer (remember summer?) & it took ~10 wks (I did not realize it was coming from England, It came earlier than the 2nd revised delivery estimate). Was not USPS.

An Uber sort of service is needed. Where they find someone returning from England & just ask the lady with a window seat to slip the guitar slide into her purse.

We need to realize immediate gratification is not always possible.

Dammit. I’m home because of the snowstorm. Where the devil is my newspaper delivery? The kid is late.

Last edited:

Runamok

Country Gent
… then just rush from location to location tossing stuff on porches and decks.
Simple solution for small items:
Tee shirt cannon & driver never leaves the truck.
Haha, i remember that saying from way back. Interestingly enough, I did order a couple of knockoff copies of Les Pauls from China a few months ago. They let me know at the time of purchase that it would take 6 weeks to get from China to Los Angeles. It took as long as they said, and they did notify me a couple days before and on the day of the delivery. Long story short those guitars really did come on a slow boat from China. :)

View attachment 190477
I’m impressed that the final delivery was so successful, given your address in Chinese barcode. (No “tonguee-in-cheek emoji, what is wrong with computer companies?)

<stamps foot indignantly before marching off stage> 😉

Last edited:

Pops

Gretschie
May 23, 2022
SC Midlands
We need to realize immediate gratification is not always possible.

I don't expect immediate gratification. As fas as I know, my package has not left the origin site, and it was scheduled for five-day shipping. I just want some accountability for pete's sake. If it was a $10 order I could care less.