I don’t take Selfies…

Craig Encinitas

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
May 3, 2021
Encinitas, Ca
But my Gretsch does.

Late afternoon sunlight.

I’m actually struggling a bit with the gloss neck finish. The humidity is 38%, which gives the illusion that my palms are sweaty (they’re not). Strumming some chords and noodling with the Boss Waza wireless headphones.

🤘🏻

Attachments

• 1765B0CB-CD0C-40B3-BCC7-8B84771801BD.jpeg
    1765B0CB-CD0C-40B3-BCC7-8B84771801BD.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 24

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
Interesting. Seems to between the green scotch Brite (600) and white (1200 plus). Do you find it more consistent than scotch Brite pads?

I haven’t used Scotch brite enough to offer something conclusive. But just technically speaking it should be.

I used Scotch brite to knock gloss off of guitars. I’ve used Micro Mesh on my pool cues to remove sticky-ness. It’s critical the shaft moves smooth in a pressure situation while not taking any of the finish of a $1000 tooth pick. Using #12000 mesh actually results in super Hi gloss.

260C03B0-006B-43CD-96BE-918C43A60439.jpeg

Last edited:

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
I haven’t used Scotch brite enough to offer something conclusive. But just technically speaking it should be.

I used Scotch brite to knock gloss off of guitars. I’ve used Micro Mesh on my pool cues to remove sticky-ness. It’s critical the shaft moves smooth in a pressure situation while not taking any of the finish of a $1000 cue. Using #12000 mesh actually results in Hi gloss.
I don't see how it is physically possible to use the micro mesh and not remove finish while removing glossiness. glossiness and stickiness is usually due to an extremely flat surface that reflects light (glossy) consistently and creates a suction effect when there is moisture (stickiness). A very fine abrasive can reduce the variance in the surface resulting in re-glossing, just as playing the instrument over time will - its all wear, just at different speeds. One may be removing less but are removing finish. My guitar neck is definitely less glossy and less sticky.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
I don't see how it is physically possible to use the micro mesh and not remove finish while removing glossiness. glossiness and stickiness is usually due to an extremely flat surface that reflects light (glossy) consistently and creates a suction effect when there is moisture (stickiness). You may be removing less but you are removing finish. My guitar neck is definitely less glossy and less sticky.

I’m not saying Micro mesh is not abrasive. It just seems more subtle than Scotch brite. 😌