I can’t stand……..

drmilktruck

I Bleed Orange
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
The problem I had with cooked vegetables as a kid is that the style in the 70s was to boil them until they were tasteless and serve them on their own. My mother was a very good cook except flavoring beyond some salt and pepper was not Minnesotan. (I have a recipe of hers that calls for 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder!) I didn't like cooked carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach ("seaweed"). However when I started cooking for myself and cooked them until just beyond crisp and put flavorings on them or mixed them in other dishes, suddenly all was well. (Except for eggplant.)

MrWookiee

Country Gent
Jun 17, 2020
SoCal, USA
Aw man, I love cooked carrots. Wife hates them, so.....

What I can't stand is a crying/whining child that is running around a store but the mom never sees or hears it. Everyone else can, of course.
And bad crappy modern pop music of almost any sort. They pipe it in at my job. The wife says I can tell you never had kids because you can't tune it out. (See my above comment on the crying/whining kids above?) I didn't have any Jr. Teledrivers, but Mrs. Teledriver has 3, plus 10 grandkids (!!!). THEREFORE, I have 10 grandkids...there is no justice. Some joy, but no justice.
Before becoming a parent myself I felt the same way about children in public, even in places where their behavior was appropriate. After becoming a parent, a kid can be throwing a loud tantrum at the next table, and so long as the kid isn't mine, I couldn't care less. When other people's kids are running around rudely or inappropriately (as in a museum, etc) I get angry with their parents/caregivers rather than with the kids themselves. It's sort of like the adage, "There are no bad dogs, only bad dog owners."

BohemianLikeMe

Synchromatic
Apr 18, 2020
Prague, CZ
Carrots rule.

Anyhow back to the matter at hand, I cannot abide fancy or quilted or flame maple tops on guitars. Just do not like any bit of them whatsoever. I don't think I even like them in furniture to be honest, I'm more of the rustic primitive type myself.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
However when I started cooking for myself and cooked them until just beyond crisp and put flavorings on them or mixed them in other dishes, suddenly all was well. (Except for eggplant.)

Have you tried grilling?
Slice'm thin lengthwise, apply salt and fresh ground pepper, garlic/olive oil, some chopped Italian herbs, grill them. Maybe add some fresh grated Parmesan when you turn them over.

radd

Friend of Fred
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
The problem I had with cooked vegetables as a kid is that the style in the 70s was to boil them until they were tasteless and serve them on their own. My mother was a very good cook except flavoring beyond some salt and pepper was not Minnesotan. (I have a recipe of hers that calls for 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder!) I didn't like cooked carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach ("seaweed"). However when I started cooking for myself and cooked them until just beyond crisp and put flavorings on them or mixed them in other dishes, suddenly all was well. (Except for eggplant.)

I was raised on an egg ranch by parents that were staunch believers in Adelle Davis’s philosophy about eating outlined in her book from the 40’s, “Let’s Cook it Right”. Everything in the house was fresh, no canned or frozen food was ever purchased. Nothing ever boiled, all vegetables were steamed. My dad stopped at the vegetable stands on the way home from work a few times a week and picked up fresh vegetables.

I would go to the stockyards with my dad and he would buy an entire side of beef and we would lay it across the kitchen table and cut it up into steaks etc and we also ground our own ground beef. I loved to eat the ground beef as it came straight out of the grinder with a bit of salt on it….

Definitely not main stream for a 50’s family.

7A5D322A-2DAE-4A65-BAEC-1C9A0B47F515.jpeg

9C05BAC3-B609-42F2-9415-C51520CD6087.jpeg

Last edited:

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
Coconut. The smell of the oil overwhelms everything else to me. And coconut flakes are the worst, the often have little flavor and have the texture of pencil shavings.