Hunters and gatherers

Emergence

Synchromatic
Gold Supporting Member
May 25, 2022
New York
This thread has nothing to do with guitars. But please read on.

Some 11,000 years ago, probably more, humans began to gather together in communities where they tended herds and flocks and planted crops. Before then, groups were organized into hunters, usually the men, and gatherers, usually women and children. That remains in our makeup, quite possibly in our genes.

My wife went out gathering today. She makes her rounds of Uber expensive specialty food stores. She came home with fruits, vegetables, and prepared dishes. She buys what’s in season. Grapefruit is in season in South Africa. Keitt mangoes are in season in California. Eastern apples are in season now so we don’t have to eat what’s been tricked in from Washington.

As usual, she brought home more than we can possibly consume. “The dog has to eat too”, she says. Pork chops from Whole Foods. Brisket from Grace’s Market. “Help me put it away,” she says.

Where?
In the freezer.
Where?
Move things around
Where? There’s no more room.
Find something old in the freezer and throw it out.

93A80AA7-720F-4321-92F4-FB9575905F09.jpeg

Note the pack date and pre-inflation price.

Pemberton

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
May 4, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
About once or twice a year I give the fridge a good cleaning. I’m always surprised by the amount of foods that are past their “best by date” that have been shoved to the back, out of sight. My wife says they’re fine. I know she’s probably right. But I still throw them out when she’s not looking.

Last edited:

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in

Some 11,000 years ago, probably more, humans began to gather together in communities where they tended herds and flocks and planted crops. Before then, groups were organized into hunters, usually the men, and gatherers, usually women and children. That remains in our makeup, quite possibly in our genes.

My wife went out gathering today. She makes her rounds of Uber expensive specialty food stores. She came home with fruits, vegetables, and prepared dishes. She buys what’s in season. Grapefruit is in season in South Africa. Keitt mangoes are in season in California. Eastern apples are in season now so we don’t have to eat what’s been tricked in from Washington.

As usual, she brought home more than we can possibly consume. “The dog has to eat too”, she says. Pork chops from Whole Foods. Brisket from Grace’s Market. “Help me put it away,” she says.

Where?
In the freezer.
Where?
Move things around

View attachment 190642

I remember my Dad telling me that when he pulled KP duty in 1942 the chicken they served had been frozen in 1929. Yummy! I think I had some from the same batch while I served in '69.

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
@Emergence - Oh yeah, those prices are long gone....especially on the upper east side. However, I still make time once/month to make an early Saturday run to Bleecker for my "goodies" at Faicco's and then off to Murray's Cheese next door.

I was planning to go today but woke up with low fever and brutal cold. Although I think I still could've made it, asked them to keep my stuff on ice and then duck around the corner to the Village Tavern for a "fever reducing martini" or little further west to the Barrow Street Alehouse.....nice Belgian beer selection.

Emergence

Synchromatic
Gold Supporting Member
May 25, 2022
New York
@Emergence - Oh yeah, those prices are long gone....especially on the upper east side. However, I still make time once/month to make an early Saturday run to Bleecker for my "goodies" at Faicco's and then off to Murray's Cheese next door.

I was planning to go today but woke up with low fever and brutal cold. Although I think I still could've made it, asked them to keep my stuff on ice and then duck around the corner to the Village Tavern for a "fever reducing martini" or little further west to the Barrow Street Alehouse.....nice Belgian beer selection.
One son lives on the upper east side. My wife has shopping rounds when we’re in the city. On Long Island, it’s Whole Foods, Grace’s Market, Young’s Farms, Diane’s Bakery, and more. My wife is the consummate gatherer. She keeps reminding me that we can afford it. It’s funny that now that we can afford it, I’ve lost my desire to hunt for stuff I don’t need.

juks

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 26, 2020
Fremont, California
Guess what I read lately:

(German web-site. That`s someone who offers to deep-freeze your guitar to improve it`s tone.)

But of course 😆

I can still understand enought German to get an overview of what they are saying. But I don't believe any of it 😁. Once the instrument returns to normal temperature, I'd think it's the same as before. Except for some cracks maybe.

Bertotti

Gretschified
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota

Where?
In the freezer.
Where?
Move things around

View attachment 190642

I come unglued when I find expired food in my fridge but if it’s in my deep freezer I generally don’t care what the date is I’m going to try and eat it!

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
But of course 😆

I can still understand enought German to get an overview of what they are saying. But I don't believe any of it 😁. Once the instrument returns to normal temperature, I'd think it's the same as before. Except for some cracks maybe.
Until I will have tried it myself I am critical, too.
There are some trustworthy people who claim that this treatment worked wonders on their instruments.

I would be worried what happens to residual moisture in the wood. Will it expand and destroy the wood fiber?

But I know that many materials will change their structure when treated with heat or cold. Like when hardening metals, e.g..

jvin248

Gretschie
May 16, 2017
Near Detroit

That frozen item probably earned you more than your stock investments!
Until you foolishly threw it out.

Be cautious with throwing food out right now.

Watch the global food news and shortages are rampant everywhere, starting with 'third world' locations and moving this way like a tidal wave.

Through past work projects, I know people in China lock downs that ran out of food and had to beg from neighbors' graces until their apartment building was released. There was that incident a few weeks back on an island where hungry citizens stormed their president's palace, consumed all the food, and swam in his pool.

Every couple of years, take inventory of what you have, rotate all the really old stuff to the front to use up first. My wife wants to do that exercise every time she gets home from grocery shopping. I have to calm her down a bit.

"The food-saving ideas of the past may not be so quaint, considering that we waste about 30 percent of the food we produce on this planet. ... In 1917, the government, worried about wartime food shortages, passed the Food and Fuel Control Act, giving President Woodrow Wilson the power to “regulate the distribution, export, import, purchase and storage of food.” ... vowing that “Food will win the war” – set about convincing Americans to conserve. Citizens were urged to sign pledge cards, swearing to forgo waste by adopting the “doctrine of the clean plate.” The food-saving, clean-plate idea was revived in 1947 after World War II, when Harry Truman called upon Americans to curb waste in order to help send food to the starving post-war populace of Europe. Hundreds of elementary schools promptly formed Clean Plate Clubs. Finishing one’s fish sticks became a patriotic duty. The truly dedicated promised to give up eating between meals." -- National Geographic

AZBrahma

Synchromatic
Dec 18, 2020
Arizona
Expiration dates...lol. I just trust my senses. If it looks like Don King, smells like a sulphur mine, has changed color, or procured slime...it's gone. I have the nose of a bloodhound, so I can easily pickup anything even just starting to turn. If all seems well, a tiny sample is taken, and if it is fine I'll eat it. Luckily for me, the vast majority of the stuff I eat is veg or at least plant based, so when stuff is going bad it is usually just wilting. Easy to spot.

Latest posts