How long did it take you to get your first Gretsch after you started playing guitar?

Emergence

Gretschie
May 25, 2022
New York
There was no money for a Gretsch while I was in high school and college in the ‘60s. Then I took an extended break from playing to focus on my career and raise a family. I came back to guitar about 15 years ago, first on an Ovation acoustic I brought up from the basement and then on a Telecaster I won on an eBay auction. After two years of that I got my 6118T Annie. I wondered why I got it. Managing a guitar with a mud switch and individual volume controls that rolled off high frequencies faster than loudness was a challenge. I might have sold it but never got the right offer. That’s a good thing. All Annie needed was an equalizer to get rid of the mud and improve clarity and me to learn how to manage a complicated guitar, pedal, and amp, a Boogie. She’s now #1. So how long is that? Two years plus ten years of struggle? Does it matter? Time is emergent anyway… from the space time matrix where gravity lives.
D186C8D9-6640-445A-9657-1B32D7CB6397.jpeg

Baba Joe

Gretschie
Feb 17, 2010
new jersey
Probably about a year and a half. I remember wanting a single pickup Corvette when I started playing but my parents said no because they didn’t think that I would stay with it . Then about a year and a half later I joined a band and bought my 1965 Tennessean in 1967. Quit playing (they were right) a couple of years later but kept the Tenny. Forty years later I started again and still have it today along with several other Gretsches.
B2C7C32D-D1BB-46A8-A7E3-B02E303B9879.jpeg

Duo Slinger

Country Gent
Sep 11, 2020
California, USA
Nine months, but a Gretsch was the goal from the beginning. I knew I wanted an orange G5420, I knew it somewhere deep down when I kept looking at the model online a year before I even started playing the guitar. Furthermore, it was my first real guitar. My first guitar, the learner I had before I convinced my parents to combine my Christmas and birthday money for a used G5420 was a crappy little beater acoustic I got off of Amazon. For that reason, my Gretsch is my first "real" guitar, and first electric.