How do I sell my gear after I'm gone?

Bertotti

Gretschified
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I’m just leaving it all to my kids. If one has something they want we will work it out ahead of time if not they will be shown how to search current pricing and it’s on them. If they choose to give it or donate it or keep it I figure I’m gone what will I care? They are just things and the desire to make everything easy for our kids isn’t doing them any favors.

Last edited:

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
No joke, we picked these up in a Target:
I'm Dead, Now What? - Organizer
bb3a936f-d1d3-4ffb-b93a-2bf097b95505_1.7c02fdd12b0c4aaa641ef6fd544de1db.jpeg
Les,

That must be something similar to the Beetlejuice ''Handbook for the Recently Deceased''.

It's my understanding everything thing is preplanned based on your earthly likes and dislikes.

If that's true, I can expect a new Ranch bungalow, steaks burning on the grill, a 1969 Hemi Roadrunner, and an 81 Corvette.

The home will be located on the ocean, with easy scuba diving access. large yard, lots of flowers and fruit trees.

And most importantly, my wife's stroke will have never happened.

Hope I'm right!

Best,

BIB.

Highroller

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
I hope to sell some on my own before my demise, but honestly think that the commission is worth the price of not frustrating my family by having them try to sell things they know little about and dealing with the various issues associated with selling.

Yeah, assuming I don't wind up a vegetable in a wheelchair, I want to thin down the herd before I go, too. Give the family a little less to deal with. The trick is how do you know when it's time to do it ?! Ha!

Consignments seem like an easy way to go there. I don't have a problem with the commission fees. I'll be using somebody else's store, somebody else's customer base, and somebody else's staff, time and expertise to sell my gear. Absolutely, they should get a cut out of it.

Danno

Gretschie
Jan 2, 2023
South Portland, Maine
I think I lucked out each of my three boys enjoy only one of my hobbies. The eldest will get the model trains, the middle will get the cameras, and the youngest the guitar stuff.

After watching the chaos my parents and their siblings went through when I lost grandparents I made sure to not repeat that. Except the above listed items everything else will be sold and split three ways. If someone wants the car or the house, buy out the other two for their share. This is what my mom in her late 70s just did in her will for me and my sister.

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
I know what I would do. Pick the nearest, most convenient reputable shop within driving distance that takes used gear, assign a realistic value each item or bundle of items that leaves room for the shop to easily turn a profit and put it in writing. For example, you might be able to squeeze $3500 out of your Strat with patience and effort, but do your heirs a favor and tell them to take $2000-$2500.

But most of all, have your stuff organized. My father passed away a few months ago and he was fairly organized, but wading through stuff like life insurance and various accounts with only a vague idea of what we were looking for has been a real chore. And if you're not harboring any dark or embarrassing secrets, feel free to leave them the password to your email. In the age of electronic billing and statements, you can no longer get a clear picture of a decedent's financial dealings by gathering a few months worth of regular mail.

HypotenusLuvTriangle

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2010
Whittier, Ca

DavyH

Gretschie
Aug 11, 2022
Aurora, Colorado
I have inventory lists in several places, and have written down little descriptions for my valuable pieces and left the descriptions in the cases, which are all labeled for the particular piece. Mrs. doesn't play, but she has interest in what's what, and has informed herself on what we have and what it's currently worth. Turns out my estate is mostly in gear(and a couple of classic cars), and would take a little more work to liquidate than, say for example, municipal bonds, but it's much more fun playing a 6120 than reading fine print.

So there's that.....

Ian Jordan

Gretschie
Oct 14, 2012
Coggeshall England
I have a few musician friends that don't know it yet, but when I am gone my gear is split between some of them. Guitars and amps etc to one guy, PA to another, and electronic music equipment to another.
I have other valuables and curios to other people, and finally all my personal items to my kids. My partner, as promised to her, gets the washing machine, ironing board, kettle, and air fryer to remember me by. Bless

EarleG

Electromatic
Dec 19, 2013
Hendersonville TN
I'm 73 and plan to sell off some things unneeded soon via Craigslist or Carter Vintage. Anything left of value post RIP will also
go consigned to probably Carter. I need to make a detailed list with item information, estimated at time value with note to check on
increased value. My wife is pretty savvy on this sort of thing but second person, grandson needs a little more insight to this.

Pine Apple Slim

Country Gent
Dec 14, 2011
North Alabama
Got no kids. Me and the ex wife still have a survivorship agreement for all our assets. I dont really want to burden her with the music stuff. I'm hoping I can find a music school or program to donate most of it to.

Latest posts