How do I sell my gear after I'm gone?

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
reminds me of the story I heard many years ago .......
Couple was getting divorce ..... Husbands Porsce was in the garage ........ husband said to wife " sell it and get what you can for it " ......
some other guy was the proud owner of a $500 Porsch
That's how my brother got a 6 month old Harley for $3000.

Once you're gone, you can leave the sales to others.
Once I'm gone, my gear won't be my worry. I've been selling off gear for a while now. Each of my grandsons will get a guitar, and a keyboard, and I may possibly donate some of the stuff to the local Veteran's Home. I've got a few Altec and Jensen speakers if anyone's interested. It all has more nostalgic than monetary value.

Last edited:

Jelly Roll Horton

Country Gent
Nov 10, 2017
Portland, OR
Em,

One word...Will.

Or, you may want to consider parting everything out now.

In your case, it does not appear, that we're talking about a ''King's Ransom''

My wife and I both have firm plans in place, should one survive the other.

And hey, at 72, assuming there are no health issues, you have time to make a plan.

I'll be 74 in May...and my life's work is nowhere near finished.

And if tragedy should strike, I'll be beyond caring.

They're only things...and nothing comes to the ''other side'' with us.

Best,

BIB.

Jelly Roll Horton

Country Gent
Nov 10, 2017
Portland, OR
Em,

One word...Will.

Or, you may want to consider parting everything out now.

In your case, it does not appear, that we're talking about a ''King's Ransom''

My wife and I both have firm plans in place, should one survive the other.

And hey, at 72, assuming there are no health issues, you have time to make a plan.

I'll be 74 in May...and my life's work is nowhere near finished.

And if tragedy should strike, I'll be beyond caring.

They're only things...and nothing comes to the ''other side'' with us.

Best,

BIB.

View attachment 199507

Attachments

• styx meme.jpg
    styx meme.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 7

Baba Joe

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2010
new jersey
Once my plan to leave my equipment to my daughter fell through, I decided to tell them to take the stuff to consignment. There are two places that I have confidence in. I don’t want to stress my wife and kids out by having them try to sell everything on their own and in the long run thereby dampening their loving memories of me 🤔. Also, unless something really wows me, I’m done buying and may sell a few things. The problem is that once one or two things go, it will harder to decide what’s next.

Jelly Roll Horton

Country Gent
Nov 10, 2017
Portland, OR
He will.

He'll meet you along the bank, it'll cost you two pennies for the trip to the other side.

On the other side, he'll drop you off in front of the biggest Guitar Center store you've ever seen.

Best,

BIB.
Maybe I’ll get a good trade for that Gretsch l’ll be carrying. If the goddess Styx herself showed up, that would change my attitude a bit.

Last edited:

LesB3

Gretschie
Silver Member
Aug 17, 2021
Philadelphia, PA
No joke, we picked these up in a Target:
I'm Dead, Now What? - Organizer
bb3a936f-d1d3-4ffb-b93a-2bf097b95505_1.7c02fdd12b0c4aaa641ef6fd544de1db.jpeg

Runamok

Country Gent
This is serious. I'm 72, fast closing on 73 and I know I don't have forever left. I had a dream that my wife died and I had no idea what to do. Yikes! Call the lawyer? I get that but I don't even know where to find things. There are things I've left for my wife to manage but what if she goes first? It's time to get prepared. Really prepared like I prepared for retirement.

So I've got these guitars and amps. I'd estimate values from $150 for a practice amp to $3500 for a CS Strat. What do I do? CL is nuts. Have her load up the car and take them to GC? The scammers work in the store. The kids don't want them. The grandkids live with an OCD mom on the left coast who plays cello and HATES noise. Friends don't play.

Has anyone planned for this? Has anyone even thought about it? I'm serious. There are a lot of us here who will have to deal with it sooner, or hopefully later... much later. But plans still have to be made.
Leave a note saying you cc:’d the IRS with your valuation. To be sure your price point is met.

Btw, sign them all "Elvis,” dated after he went missing, post it on a Bigfoot conspiracy forum. Gin up a newspaper article identifying you as the last person to see Elvis. That should keep their value up, or at least get you elected to congress posthumously.

Wait. Your basing this on your wife checking out first?

Last edited:

Runamok

Country Gent
Once my plan to leave my equipment to my daughter fell through, I decided to tell them to take the stuff to consignment. There are two places that I have confidence in. I don’t want to stress my wife and kids out by having them try to sell everything on their own and in the long run thereby dampening their loving memories of me 🤔. Also, unless something really wows me, I’m done buying and may sell a few things. The problem is that once one or two things go, it will harder to decide what’s next.
Consignment will take 20% off the top.

stiv

Country Gent
Sep 12, 2014
Firenze, Italy
I have a good (and much younger) friend of mine that owns a great record studio. I’ll instruct my wife that all my stuff would go there to be available for the recording musicians.
That’s the way it is now. In a decade, I’d change my plan if something happens.

All Thumbs

Gretschie
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas
It would be nice to think my grandkids would take my guitars, bass, and drums, and start a band, a fantastic band.

It will probably all be sold for pennies on the dollar. Either way, I'm dead.

Highroller

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
I’m another one that put together a spreadsheet. It took a while. If you have enough gear it can be a daunting task, but I got everything on it, with serial numbers, model years, distinguishing features (includes case, rare model, etc), and both low (trade-in values) and high (retail) price ranges. I keep it with all my “important” paperwork. The family knows exactly where to find it.

Whether they go the estate auction route, or take on the job of selling it all one piece at a time, that’s their choice. Either way, the point is to give them some kind of defense against lowball offers for stuff like a White Falcon. They won’t have to work in the total dark.

Lastly, and this is me trying to be philosophical about it, I try to remember that while all these instruments and gear are vitally important to me, to them it’ll just be “stuff”. Whatever they get for it all is pretty much gravy to them. If some of it sells for lower than what I personally think it's worth, so be it. As long as they’re happy with the results and don’t get totally ripped off, maybe it’s not that important to squeeze every last dime out of it all.

And if somebody gets a great deal on my prized SuperAxe? Is that the worst thing in the world? Maybe they’ll play it and love it for the next 30 years just like I have. At least, I can hope so.

---

Last edited:

Latest posts