How Do I Find Out The # Of Limited Edition Gretsch Guitars Made?

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
I used to hang around the Epiphone forums a lot(like a bad odour). Limited Edition in Epiphone parlance translated in "as long as we (are able to) sell'm". I left.

Manufacturers suggest a sense of exclusivity or rarity to make it more collectable, but it's just a label, it's definition of "limited-ness" does not need to abide any standard, and certainly isn't protected by law or regulation.

That's the long way to say I don't know!

Merc

Friend of Fred
May 6, 2017
Florida
You may be able to reach out to Gretsch if it’s a specific Limited Edition model in mind. For example a member here reached out a while back about the G6129-RDSP-LTD15 and found out only 57 were produced. I want to say I read somewhere Gretsch anticipated 100. But in 2015 I guess it wasn’t a hot market.

If it’s a FSR you’re talking about, the retailer may have the numbers.

fabian1137

Electromatic
Jul 26, 2022
Sweden
I recently emailed Gretsch and asked how many G6120T Limited Edition '59 in Dark Cherry got made and this is the answer I got:

"Unfortunately we are unable to give out the production numbers for our products. "Limited Edition" refers to the fact that this was manufactured during a limited period of time and was not produced indefinitely. We can only have the production numbers for guitars with numbers on them such as "#01 of 150"

Hope it helped.

Merc

Friend of Fred
May 6, 2017
Florida
I recently emailed Gretsch and asked how many G6120T Limited Edition '59 in Dark Cherry got made and this is the answer I got:

"Unfortunately we are unable to give out the production numbers for our products. "Limited Edition" refers to the fact that this was manufactured during a limited period of time and was not produced indefinitely. We can only have the production numbers for guitars with numbers on them such as "#01 of 150"

Hope it helped.

Weird, it almost sounds like they’re categorizing it as Limited. I want be to say it was @Andy Fortune who contacted them some years back on the Limited Edition Jet. Maybe they’ve changed their policy or a different employee.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
That is such a broad definition as to be basically meaningless. Very few models are produced indefinitely. The dcm 2013 proline jet I have just was only made one year I think. The early 2000s Juniors were only made for a few years. Look at the 5622 - there have been at least 3 very different iterations - certainly the first 2 versions are no longer produced. If you factor in functional changes like zero fret and bracing, there are probably many versions. A lot of limited editions are basically just different color finishes, so if any model that changes color becomes a limited.

Based on this description, I would guesstimate that 95%± of gretsch models are limited. To put it another way, everything they ever produced but don't produce now is a limited edition, plus a few current models that are intended to be limited, and most of the rest which will eventually become limited.

This makes every unsuccessful model a limited edition.

Highroller

Country Gent
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
To put it another way, everything they ever produced but don't produce now is a limited edition, plus a few current models that are intended to be limited, and most of the rest which will eventually become limited...

... making my 2017 Subaru a de facto Limited Edition! Thanks, I'll remember that when I go to sell it!

Andy Fortune

Gretschie
May 24, 2016
Corning, NY
Weird, it almost sounds like they’re categorizing it as Limited. I want be to say it was @Andy Fortune who contacted them some years back on the Limited Edition Jet. Maybe they’ve changed their policy or a different employee.
Yes, that was me, and they were so quick to reply and so willing to share the info (yes, 57 of the G6129-RDSP-LTD15 were made) that I’m surprised to hear they haven’t been as forthcoming recently.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I emailed and asked About my Penguin they have me the production dates and total member made. Now how accurate was the Fender rep? I think they got the most accurate info to me possible.

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
Yes, that was me, and they were so quick to reply and so willing to share the info (yes, 57 of the G6129-RDSP-LTD15 were made) that I’m surprised to hear they haven’t been as forthcoming recently.
Jeez. It's almost as though Joe Carducci walked out the door and they immediately convened a meeting to determine how best to destroy his legacy of great customer relations.
apathydemotivator.jpeg

Mr Swisher

Country Gent
Jun 12, 2012
England
You may be able to reach out to Gretsch if it’s a specific Limited Edition model in mind. For example a member here reached out a while back about the G6129-RDSP-LTD15 and found out only 57 were produced. I want to say I read somewhere Gretsch anticipated 100. But in 2015 I guess it wasn’t a hot market.

If it’s a FSR you’re talking about, the retailer may have the numbers.

I did the same when I bought the BroadKaster at Christmas. Gretsch confirmed their were 6. Sadly...it lasted a week with me.
IMG_20211224_101951.jpg