Hit a deer

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
At least it wasn't a moose. Due to their height, they usually land on top of the car, often going thru the windshield. Usually, the car gets totaled.

My wife worked in the office of a factory that had a lot of hunters employed. A tiny lady she worked with was talking to some of the hunters and mentioned that she bagged a deer herself a couple of weeks earlier.
"What did you use? Bow? Shotgun"" they asked her.
"Buick." she replied.

Glad you're OK. Company car is covered by insurance, so you're off the hook, especially since you were likely under the speed limit. Dawn and twilight in fall are bad times for deer and cars.

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Double Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2010
Tappan N.Y.
A 40 mph hit does that to a car?
I've seen worse in 30 yrs at Animal Control . Air bags deployed too . Moose are worse ( we don't have moose near me ) but what happens is more people are killed by moose than moose are killed by people / car accidents . A moose body / under belly , starts at about where your windshield meets your dashboard due to their long legs Depending on your speed , the moose can actually go right into the cars seating area .

Bertotti

Gretschified
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I've seen worse in 30 yrs at Animal Control . Air bags deployed too . Moose are worse ( we don't have moose near me ) but what happens is more people are killed by moose than moose are killed by people / car accidents . A moose body / under belly , starts at about where your windshield meets your dashboard due to their long legs Depending on your speed , the moose can actually go right into the cars seating area .
I had a black bear wander in front of me once on the back side of lake arrowhead. I would take the back roads down to Hesperia and Victorville. Not a massive huge animal but big enough I really didn’t want to hit it. That back road is a pretty slow road with some cool hairpin turns I always over drove but still had time to actually stop!

oneforsorrow

Country Gent
May 15, 2020
Iowa
Living in the Midwest, it's never a matter of "if" but more a matter of "when" you hit a deer. A deer hit us while my wife was driving home from Costco a couple of years ago. She was on her way to 55 mph but it totaled our van. Some friends of ours down in Missouri hit one that may have won the gold medal. They live in the deep part of the Ozarks in the Mark Twain National Forest -- back-to-the-landers from the 70's exodus. It was raining and a mid-sized doe jumped out in front of them as they were driving down the forest service road. It came through the windshield and landed in the back seat dead lying on its side. Kicked the driver in the head on its way back but never even touched the windshield wipers. They had to take him to the hospital to pick the glass out of his head but at least he didn't have to replace the wipers ;).

They called a neighbor who had the deer cleaned and butchered in their freezer by the time they returned home from the emergency room. Tough bunch out this way.

Bertotti

Gretschified
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Out here it’s a given, and when you drive around around 35000 miles a year something is bound to happen. I had a guy a couples ata ago tell me he has never hit a deer but he only drives around town.

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
I had a friend that drove a route in western Minnesota and eastern South Dakota, and hitting deer just seemed to happen all the time.

Powdog

Gretschie
Mar 15, 2012
Cool,CA
Driving up thru Central Oregon last night I was totally expecting to hit one. They’re migrating now, signs everywhere.

I did hit a bird in the dark, still stuck to my grille this morning. Nothing as big as a turkey, dang it!