Guitar of the day

RobertusMaximus

Electromatic
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 8, 2022
Missouri City, Texas
My Guitar of the Day isn't one I own, but one I tried out at my local shop earlier today. Thunder 58 has one, so does GlenP and a few others. A 5422-12 Electromatic 12 String.

Gotta say, I was impressed! Very easy playing twelver, nicely finished with a tobacco sunburst and gold trim, and decent enough sounding thru whatever the heck it was the sales guy plugged me into. I came "this close" to buying it on the spot, but I think I'll go back in a couple days and insist on hearing it thru a Deluxe Reverb first.

We'll see where this goes ... I don't really "need" it, but since when does that matter!

View attachment 198308

I have this guitar, bought it from Sweetwater.
You are right; it is a "Sweet" guitar! The fit and finish are fantastic. It plays like a dream.
The only issue I had with it (with Sweetwater) was that the "certified fit" case did not fit the guitar! I ended up swapping around another guitar that had kind of an oversized case (hence the extra padding in the case.)

12-String-Gresch - 1.jpeg

bubblyah

Synchromatic
Jan 17, 2010
Calgary,Alberta
My most recent guitar is the ES-335 in the middle. It gets all the play right now. Just a basement pic so not great lighting. I'm just drooling all day when I play it. So I need a bib so I don't get my shirt all wet. That's also why I get locked in a basement. I'm sure there may be other reasons for that but I like to blame it on my love for guitars. That way its not so personal. Lol!

Attachments

• tempImagewd1uxy.png
    tempImagewd1uxy.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 10

General_Lee

Gretschie
Apr 23, 2022
Manitoba, Canada
Those are some beauties.
When in doubt, play a 335! Actually, these other G Brand guitars have been desert island pieces for me since day one. The sunburst is probably my favorite. Its a 2020 Nashville build. Gibson has made a lot of questionable moves in recent years and I'm not a huge fan of what their company policies have been (dropping their jazz archtops for instance - I mean wtf?). Also, their pricing is becoming genuinely untenable for most of us guitar slinging grunts. Still, they continue to hit the mark with their 335s. Incredible workhorses and man, they got the looks!

Last edited:

LivingMyDream

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
May 4, 2016
Peculiar, Missouri
I
My Guitar of the Day isn't one I own, but one I tried out at my local shop earlier today. Thunder 58 has one, so does GlenP and a few others. A 5422-12 Electromatic 12 String.

Gotta say, I was impressed! Very easy playing twelver, nicely finished with a tobacco sunburst and gold trim, and decent enough sounding thru whatever the heck it was the sales guy plugged me into. I came "this close" to buying it on the spot, but I think I'll go back in a couple days and insist on hearing it thru a Deluxe Reverb first.

We'll see where this goes ... I don't really "need" it, but since when does that matter!

View attachment 198308
I picked up one just like it while I was checking out amps at GC. My granddaughter was with me, and she said that she really liked it. I only put it back because I was there looking at amps, and I thought a 6-string would make it easier to evaluate the amps.

bubblyah

Synchromatic
Jan 17, 2010
Calgary,Alberta
When in doubt, play a 335! Actually, these other G Brand guitars have been desert island pieces for me since day one. The sunburst is probably my favorite. Its a 2020 Nashville build. Gibson has made a lot of questionable moves in recent years and I'm not a huge fan of what their company policies have been (dropping their jazz archtops for instance - I mean why?). Also, their pricing is becoming genuinely untenable for most of us guitar slinging grunts. Still, they continue to hit the mark with their 335s. Incredible workhorses and man, they got the looks!
My 339 is a Memphis from 2015 and my 335 is a 2022 Nashville. I want to add a 345 and I'll be quite happy.When I bought my 335 it needed to get the nut filed down 1.5/32's on the low e string. That should have been caught by QC so who knows where the increase in price is contributing to. But I sure love it and feels great to play.

WillyW

Gretschie
May 3, 2022
ABQ
View attachment 198326
Bought this from Adorama link posted in the Black Friday thread...

Had to fix the high E slot in the nut because it was buzzing. A little superglue and baking soda fixed it but probably just temporary.

It's definitely my go to guitar lately..
Been playing it nonstop for the last month, mostly pseudo country from listening to Marty Stuart and Kenny Vaughn.
I keep reaching for a Bigsby though, old habits are hard to break!

easy fix…

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
View attachment 198672 This one’s out today, my Gibson SG with TVJ Classic and Classic Plus pickups. I love the chunky neck, the chime, and the look of the Rorschach ink blot pickguard.
You've posted about this guitar before and I love it every time. It is sharp looking, has a chunky neck profile, and the unique pickups you installed to really make it.

I know you've mentioned this before, but what year and model of SG is it? I will happily admit that you have spurred curiosity into full-blown GAS!!. :)

Emergence

Synchromatic
Gold Supporting Member
May 25, 2022
New York
You've posted about this guitar before and I love it every time. It is sharp looking, has a chunky neck profile, and the unique pickups you installed to really make it.

I know you've mentioned this before, but what year and model of SG is it? I will happily admit that you have spurred curiosity into full-blown GAS!!. :)
My SG is a 2006 Robot. The robot tuners were replaced with Gibson tuners. The pots are 500K CTS with treble bleed. I didn’t replace the bridge or tailpiece but grounded both. I bought it ten years ago at Sam Ash in Huntington on Long Island. I like the high gloss finish and dots on the neck. Blocks and traps look good with binding but Gibson necks are best without binding or aggressively rolled edges. I’ve pulled the high E strings off every bound Gibson neck I’ve played. The only thing I didn’t like was the pickups. Dark? Muddy? IDK. Just not right for me. I like single coils but hate the hum. TVJ nailed it with the Classic and Classic Plus pickups with treble bleed.

General_Lee

Gretschie
Apr 23, 2022
Manitoba, Canada
My SG is a 2006 Robot. The robot tuners were replaced with Gibson tuners. The pots are 500K CTS with treble bleed. I didn’t replace the bridge or tailpiece but grounded both. I bought it ten years ago at Sam Ash in Huntington on Long Island. I like the high gloss finish and dots on the neck. Blocks and traps look good with binding but Gibson necks are best without binding or aggressively rolled edges. I’ve pulled the high E strings off every bound Gibson neck I’ve played. The only thing I didn’t like was the pickups. Dark? Muddy? IDK. Just not right for me. I like single coils but hate the hum. TVJ nailed it with the Classic and Classic Plus pickups with treble bleed.
Yeah, them robot tuners didn't exactly set the world on fire. As for pups, I've never tried the TVs, but I did drop in a set of Seth Lover's on my 335 Burst. 'Stunning' is not too strong a word for the result. Balance, tone, and yes...mojo! And this from a guy who hates the term - mojo...:cool: