Guitar of the day

General_Lee

Gretschie
Apr 23, 2022
Manitoba, Canada
I have seven great instruments to choose from and try to give each devil his due. Still, I tend to get into practice "trends" where I might play one beauty or another for one or several days depending on what musical style I'm working on. Today, it's Chet's right hand technique. The tool of course, is the only one for that particular job - my beloved Gent (Vintage Select).

1673042220143.jpeg

So what are you playing today? And why?

P.S. I may use this thread as a running commentary on what's going on in my practice space over the next while. Feel free to do the same...with or without pics...

Emergence

Synchromatic
Gold Supporting Member
May 25, 2022
New York
image.jpg
My guitar of the day is my American Standard Stratocaster upgraded with an Ultra Luxe loaded pickguard. I’m working on combining finger style soloing with strummed rhythm and need a little more space between frets than I get on my Annie. I had my Telecaster out yesterday. I can use bridge and neck together on either with suitable equalizer settings. The neck on the Strat seems to be less problematical changing grips between barre and thumb over. I’m not lazy. Sometimes I need open drone strings and sometimes the note that drones needs to be fretted. It’s all in using the right grip on the right guitar.

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Silver Member
Feb 13, 2012
France

Today : none.
Why : no time.
Comment : a shame !
Last Wednesday, on reharsal : my Squier Telecaster CV50

p3kBKb-P1090296.jpg

A+!

Highroller

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
My Guitar of the Day isn't one I own, but one I tried out at my local shop earlier today. Thunder 58 has one, so does GlenP and a few others. A 5422-12 Electromatic 12 String.

Gotta say, I was impressed! Very easy playing twelver, nicely finished with a tobacco sunburst and gold trim, and decent enough sounding thru whatever the heck it was the sales guy plugged me into. I came "this close" to buying it on the spot, but I think I'll go back in a couple days and insist on hearing it thru a Deluxe Reverb first.

We'll see where this goes ... I don't really "need" it, but since when does that matter!

G5422-12.jpg

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Double Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2010
Tappan N.Y.
My Guitar of the Day isn't one I own, but one I tried out at my local shop earlier today. Thunder 58 has one, so does GlenP and a few others. A 5422-12 Electromatic 12 String.

Gotta say, I was impressed! Very easy playing twelver, nicely finished with a tobacco sunburst and gold trim, and decent enough sounding thru whatever the heck it was the sales guy plugged me into. I came "this close" to buying it on the spot, but I think I'll go back in a couple days and insist on hearing it thru a Deluxe Reverb first.

We'll see where this goes ... I don't really "need" it, but since when does that matter!

View attachment 198308
I double dog dare ya 🤣

Chef T

Gretschie
Dec 12, 2020
New York
Haven’t played it for a long time because I was going to sell it, but picked it up last week and forgot how much I like it and have been playing it everyday since. I am usually not much for buying signature guitars, but I wanted a single coil pickup LP with a P 90 and my son really likes Jared James Nichols so it was a good excuse to buy it for “us”. Had to do a little fret leveling and swapped out the original wraparound lightning bar bridge for a golden age wraparound bridge with adjustable saddles. It plays and sounds great through a cranked up tube amp.
Oh, almost forgot…I started playing it because I’m working on the solo to Black Dog and figured a LP might help channel my inner Jimmy Page. Not that I could ever have his swagger, but it’s fun to try

Attachments

• B54794CC-E694-4CAD-949D-AC98D7CF41C5.jpeg
    B54794CC-E694-4CAD-949D-AC98D7CF41C5.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
I have seven great instruments to choose from and try to give each devil his due. Still, I tend to get into practice "trends" where I might play one beauty or another for one or several days depending on what musical style I'm working on. Today, it's Chet's right hand technique. The tool of course, is the only one for that particular job - my beloved Gent (Vintage Select).

View attachment 198292

P.S. I may use this thread as a running commentary on what's going on in my practice space over the next while. Feel free to do the same...with or without pics...
GL,

What a beautiful CG, I don't know of any Custom Shop Gretsch, that can outshine this.

Finally after getting our new condo move set up and organized, I finally found time to put the Labella Flats on my new Danno, and have Tom Petty over for a few songs.

Amazing neck and playability.

These are the smoothest most highly polished, most comfortable frets I have ever played.

Best,

BIB.

DSCF1621.JPG DSCF1623.JPG

TSims1

Gretschified
Jun 18, 2013
Atlanta
Haven’t played it for a long time because I was going to sell it, but picked it up last week and forgot how much I like it and have been playing it everyday since. I am usually not much for buying signature guitars, but I wanted a single coil pickup LP with a P 90 and my son really likes Jared James Nichols so it was a good excuse to buy it for “us”. Had to do a little fret leveling and swapped out the original wraparound lightning bar bridge for a golden age wraparound bridge with adjustable saddles. It plays and sounds great through a cranked up tube amp.
Oh, almost forgot…I started playing it because I’m working on the solo to Black Dog and figured a LP might help channel my inner Jimmy Page. Not that I could ever have his swagger, but it’s fun to try

I love how the pickup is practically sitting ON the bridge.

Latest posts