Guitar Collecting

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
I love this design. Looking forward to your finished product.
I hadn't thought about this stand for quite a while.

It is just going to be a stand where I can stack guitars in their cases.

The ceilings in my apartment are 8 feet high. I measured some cases today and the S/T types are consistent, 41" or 42" tall, and I have 10 of those. The others are a mixture of lengths and the two tallest are acoustic cases that are close to 47".
Instead of the round supports I'll just use 1" lumber with the bottom resting on the carpet and the other a flat shelf with a gap in the center for round-bottom cases. The upper shelf will be a little lower than center so the taller cases can fit on the top.
All my cases will not fit in 4' so I am imagining the stand sitting away from a side wall with a few cases standing next to it. On the other side I could put a guitar hanger like in the pic.

Kinda busy right now, not sure when I can start this project.

jdr1014

Synchromatic
Apr 16, 2009
Orrington, Maine
I guess I would be considered a "collector" of sorts....

I currently have about 30 guitars, 75% being electric. I'm retired, not a real great player, and haven't gigged for years. All my guitars have been purchased brcause they appealed to me for one reason or another or were different than what I had. None were impulse buys. Over the past 25 or so years I have sold about a half dozen that no longer held my interest.

I play some just about every day and all of them get played, although a few very infrequently. Having these guitars gives me a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction, and when I "rediscover" one that hasn't been played awhile, it's almost like getting a new guitar all over again. My current collection interests me much more than what I see in most music stores nowadays.

Acquiring these guitars has never created a financial burden on my family. I raised 4 children and got them through college, etc. so for many years I couldn't afford to spend money on guitars, etc. - so I just didn't. Often times I see negative comments on various forums about people who own or collect multiple guitars being "posers", "blues lawyers" ....... or whatever. I don't get that. Many people collect things that interest them. As long as it doesn't have negative impacts on them or their families, isn't illegal, and they enjoy it, what does it matter? I really enjoy my guitar "collection" and do play them. It's a wonderful hobby for me and I'm still learning new things. :)

guitarfarm

Country Gent
Dec 29, 2008
Neither here nor there...
I love my guitars. They give me great pleasure. I am a player and I currently own 10 guitars. I use them all and they cover the tone / style bases that I need them to. If I needed another tone which I cannot get with my current guitars then I would own 11. I buy Pro line Gretsch, Gibson Martin and Fender not because they are necessarily that much better (even though they are imho) but because I can afford to and I know that when I sell I recoup my investment and maybe make a modest profit. This strategy has been good to me for 30 years. I doubt a carpenter or mechanic gets quite as much pleasure from finding and owning the tools of their trade as we do.

As someone with a pile of guitars and a pile of tools, I would argue that point. Ridiculously nice tools are a sheer joy every single time you pick one up. Very much like quality guitars. Here is a titanium fret saw I got a few years ago. I still smile every time I use it - which is often. And don't even get me started on handmade Japanese chisels. There should be a twelve step program. 🤣

saw.JPG

guitarfarm

Country Gent
Dec 29, 2008
Neither here nor there...
I guess I would be considered a "collector" of sorts....

I currently have about 30 guitars, 75% being electric. I'm retired, not a real great player, and haven't gigged for years. All my guitars have been purchased brcause they appealed to me for one reason or another or were different than what I had. None were impulse buys. Over the past 25 or so years I have sold about a half dozen that no longer held my interest.

I play some just about every day and all of them get played, although a few very infrequently. Having these guitars gives me a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction, and when I "rediscover" one that hasn't been played awhile, it's almost like getting a new guitar all over again. My current collection interests me much more than what I see in most music stores nowadays.

Acquiring these guitars has never created a financial burden on my family. I raised 4 children and got them through college, etc. so for many years I couldn't afford to spend money on guitars, etc. - so I just didn't. Often times I see negative comments on various forums about people who own or collect multiple guitars being "posers", "blues lawyers" ....... or whatever. I don't get that. Many people collect things that interest them. As long as it doesn't have negative impacts on them or their families, isn't illegal, and they enjoy it, what does it matter? I really enjoy my guitar "collection" and do play them. It's a wonderful hobby for me and I'm still learning new things. :)

I thoroughly agree. I go through a rotation with mine, although there is no rhyme or reason for it. I'll pick one up that hasn't been played for a while and say to it, "Well, where have you been?"

guitars.JPG