Guitar Collecting

BuddyHollywood

Synchromatic
Sep 11, 2009
Venice, CA
I want my Duo Jet to do everything and it almost does. I don't want a collection of guitars anymore but whenever I play one I think I could possibly live without I remember why I enjoy having it again.

WannaGretsch

Gretschie
Oct 23, 2012
ALASKA
Some come in, some go out. It is really an organic process. I usually peak at 10 guitars but almost never have less than 5. Every purchase and every sale seemed to make complete sense to me at the time! :)

Chet Harrison

Gretschie
Apr 27, 2020
USA
Right now I'm holding steady with 3 electrics, 2 acoustics, and 1 bass. No real plans to expand or contract.

If I find myself with more than that it will be due to some combination of boredom, curiosity, and cash burning a hole in my pocket. "Need" has nothing to do with it! :)

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
It is hard for me to explain how I ended up with as many guitars as I have collected. The best I can say is that I love them, appreciate the differences between them, was impulsive and had the money.
They were easy to buy because I only bought when on sale, every one was a good deal that I could likely sell for close to what I paid and over time the value keeps going up.

2.5 years ago I started with an Epi SG, then saw a nice Squier HH Tele on sale, then GC dropped the prices on most of their Epi LPs and I had to buy one. By now I was looking at the websites and liking certain models, when they put a temporary price drop on the exact SSS Player Strat that I liked I grabbed one. Then GC gave me a 15% off coupon and I bought my first Gretsch (G2622) with it.
MF started selling G&L guitars for Stupid Deal of the Day prices I couldn't pass up. Then a Gretsch G2622T-P90 SDOTD for 33% off (reg $600 for $400).
GC closed out their 2019 Gibson Les Paul Tribute and I got the Vet discount off the sale price, paid $836.10.

Somewhere in there I saw good reviews on the Indio ($100) and Glarry ($120) Teles and bought one of each for projects but they are not worth modding. I'm going to set each up to be easy to play and give them to family members.

Now concentrating on filling holes in the collection: Yamaha Bass, Dean 12-string electric, Jim Dandy parlor guitar, Mitchell 12-string Dreadnought (half price) is better than I expected. G&L Comanche on closeout (discontinued color) is fantastic with MFD Z-coils.
Last December GC had their LE Gibson SG Tribute Raven for 15% off and the most I've paid for any: $932.15.

Sitting at 24 guitars with 15 hard cases, 10 gig bags, and lots of other stuff. Haven't spent as much as you would think.

Currently working to move back to Ohio to be with family and friends and wondering how I will explain my collection to them. Those that play are normal and own a few guitars. I know they will enjoy coming by my place to play!

I guess I am lucky I never collected cars or motorcycles!

They just said on the news that the best Mickey Mantle baseball card in existence scored 9.5 and just sold for $12.6 million, wow.

Neal

Electromatic
Oct 12, 2013
Virginia
I used to travel as a consultant. I got $50/day in per diem whether I spent it or not. I chose not to spend it.

It was the first real discretionary money I ever had in my life. I kept shoving $20 bills in an envelope. Soon I had enough to buy a guitar. Then another. And another.

I bought and sold many guitars. I learned a lot about what I like and what I don’t. The guitars I own now are the result of that Darwinian process.

I play them. If they don’t get played, they get sold. If that makes me a collector, I’m cool with that.

General_Lee

Gretschie
Apr 23, 2022
Manitoba, Canada
An interesting question. A collector? As in "collecting dust"? If so, leave me out.

During my long search for "tone", many instruments have come and gone. Neither has there ever been a really good reason for me to exchange this one for that one, since I've pretty much always had excellent instruments to work with. Rather like serial monogamy, my quest has been more based on personal indulgence than one of a need for ultimate satisfaction in my musical partner(s). Most all were well, and respectfully, used.

In recent years I've had means and opportunity to garner and keep a slightly larger herd (7 at the moment), but these too are part of an ongoing opus of tone building. I have access to essentially all the sounds I've ever wanted to create with guitars/pedals/amps. True, I still enjoy the tweaking process and will probably always use this as an excuse to experiment with a new tool or two. Vive l'exchange! Still, I'm very happy and essentially satisfied with my stock. More so than I've ever been. And probably more so than I've a a right to be.

Collector. No, more of an active and loving curator I'd say...

Last edited:

ChloeDogsDad

Electromatic
Jan 12, 2023
Dayton Ohio
Hoarder, maybe. Geek, definitely. Obsessed, probably. Too much $$, yes. Idiot, very likely. Play them all, you have to. My wife and I own over thirty guitars between us, as well as dulcimers, mandolins, all kinds of stuff. We both grew up watching our dads play in bands in the 80's, and both fell in love with guitars at an early age. We have a core group of about 20 guitars that are constant, some of them were her father's guitars, a couple had belonged to my grandpa, and the rest are either our first few guitars, of guitars that we bought for each other. The remaining part of the herd comes and goes as we either find one we like better, and have to move some out, or just haven't played in years, and re-home. There are a couple in the process of being "flipped" at all times, usually given to us to repair and donate to local kids who can't afford a "good" guitar, and occasionally something we find cheap to fix up for fun and then move it out when we get it to the point that we don't feel like modifying it any more. Most of our guitars are inexpensive, a few harmony's, epiphones, cort, danelectro, some no-name stuff and a couple of kits she got me. We have a couple Fenders, a Gibson, My Gretsch's ( even though they aren't high-end, they are still what we would consider "upper class") and a 67' Ric that had belonged to her dad. We play them all at various times, either just for us, or playing out and occasionally as session players. Guitars and music are how we met, and what we love to do.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
I've got five guitars in regular use. I have a couple of old ones I've kept for sentimental reasons. I've five keyboards as well. They're all tools to make music with and keep me happy.
I don't consider myself a guitar/keyboard collector. Jim Irsay is a guitar collector. He's got hundreds that I could never afford. His all belonged to famous musicians. Maybe some of the mojo is still there within them. His hoard is locked away, tho he's allowed the great unwashed to view them once. There was a collector that amassed 300 beauties---and then passed away. I've always wondered what happened to his collection.

As long as the kids are cared for, and the family is fed, warm and safe, the bills are paid and the wolf's not at the door, then, fine. Collect away. There are a lot of worse things you could be stockpiling.

David MacNeill

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2022
Boise ID
I was really into it for a couple decades but It's just not fun anymore and I never really made any money at it. I'm taking four beauties to Gryphon in Palo Alto (the world's greatest guitar shop) as soon as the passes are clear.

If I don't play them, I don't want them anymore. I think ownership of collectible guitars gets less interesting the older one gets. Since I only have another ten to fifteen years on this rock, it's starting to feel like I'm just creating more of a headache for my survivors.

Wonderland Drive

Gretschie
Nov 29, 2017
Durham, NC
Down to 22 electrics and 1 acoustic.
Started in the late 90’s to cover all the bases as far as tone and model and manufacturer; I wanted to see what was best for me.

I have 4 Gretsch hollow body and two solid body.
I have 5 Telecasters. The Gretsch and Telecaster are my favorite.

An aside: I won’t sell anymore guitars; I have one more Gretsch ( a specific model/ year ) I will purchase.

juks

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 26, 2020
Fremont, California
Oh my. I think I have a problem. As my older son moved out of state and younger to the bigger bedroom, I thought I'll make the spare room a guitar storage room and work bench. We'll, the guitars fit in, just. The basses not. Nor my parts and tools shelf. I really should thin the herd. Just for the record, I do play them all. I rotate by color. 😁. I know, I'm nuts...

20230121_204649.jpg 20230121_204657.jpg

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
Oh my. I think I have a problem. As my older son moved out of state and younger to the bigger bedroom, I thought I'll make the spare room a guitar storage room and work bench. We'll, the guitars fit in, just. The basses not. Nor my parts and tools shelf. I really should thin the herd. Just for the record, I do play them all. I rotate by color. 😁. I know, I'm nuts...

View attachment 199572
I see lots of nice cases!
Someone posted a pic of their stand and it is really a genius idea that I am stealing. The key is that it is two levels, the guitars stand upright with a row on top of the other. If you measure the length, you'll see you may be able to fit two without hitting your ceiling.
Ok just found the pic. Obviously no cases but I normally keep mine cased except for one or two out to play.
Two Tier Storage.jpeg

Measuring, it looks like a four foot wide rack will hold up to 20 guitars, depending on how thick. Some, like my 34" bass are too tall and will have to stand alone.
It will take some experimentation to make it sturdy enough but a simple design not needing expertise to build. I plan to start with three uprights to add a middle support.

A big Thank You to whomever posted that pic of their rack.

Last edited:

hmathguitar

Electromatic
Dec 20, 2022
Rocklin, CA
It’s funny I came across this post. I am newbie to guitar and to this forum. I started buying guitars about a year and half ago. Started with acoustics and got into Gretsches and some electrics and have 27 guitars. I play almost all of them, but there is something that I like about each of them, tone, playability, looks etc. I acquired most of them on ridiculous deals, so got them at huge discounts off of Musicians Friend, Guitar Center, and Sweetwater. I have gotten some from Facebook Marketplace as well. I don’t play all of them everyday as that would be unrealistic, but I rotate playing them and enjoy them. I have sold the ones that I didn’t enjoy.

I am not necessarily a collector, although I do collect what I like. I don’t have any other things that I collect. I love guitars and I am sure I will be buying and selling many more. I don’t have an ounce of regret about it.

In my opinion, as long as you have the financial means and you like it, there is nothing wrong with buying guitars. It can be a healthy addiction as opposed to collecting stupid stuff for ridiculous amount of money or getting addicted to destructive things (alcohol, drugs etc). Music is good and if you enjoy guitars and have the means to do so, you should collect and play. No judgment needed.

Baba Joe

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2010
new jersey
Someone posted a pic of their stand and it is really a genius idea that I am stealing. The key is that it is two levels, the guitars stand upright with a row on top of the other. If you measure the length, you'll see you may be able to fit two without hitting your ceiling.
Ok just found the pic. Obviously no cases but I normally keep mine cased except for one or two out to play.
View attachment 199722

Measuring, it looks like a four foot wide rack will hold about two dozen guitars, depending on how thick. Some, like my 34" bass are too tall and will have to stand alone.
It will take some experimentation to make it sturdy enough but a simple design not needing expertise to build. I plan to start with three uprights to add a middle support.

Great optimization of space. Looking forward to your finished version.

juks

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 26, 2020
Fremont, California
View attachment 199722

Measuring, it looks like a four foot wide rack will hold about two dozen guitars, depending on how thick. Some, like my 34" bass are too tall and will have to stand alone.

That's an interesting design. I live in earth quake area though so it would need to be bolted to the wall and extra horizontal beam added half way up the guitars.

hmathguitar

Electromatic
Dec 20, 2022
Rocklin, CA
View attachment 199722

Measuring, it looks like a four foot wide rack will hold up to 20 guitars, depending on how thick. Some, like my 34" bass are too tall and will have to stand alone.

I love this design. Looking forward to your finished product.

Latest posts