Gretschbucker Haters...

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
gretschbunkers are good entry level humbuckers but cant be called vintage "great gretsch sound" on their own.

here's a pic I took after heatin one for second and sliding the dang bar of soap worth of wax potted monstrosity out. just crazy eh?
img_1410.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Krause

Electromatic
May 2, 2022
Lawrence, Kansas
Now, now, now..... Come everyone....

"Gretsch buckers" sound decent as long as you use some serious EQ - either in a pedal, or in an amp.
Decent is exactly the word I'd use to describe the G-buckers. A 2.00 GPA is decent, too.

I swapped out the G-buckers on my 5120 when I discovered how cheaply they were made. Trying to raise the pole pieces, I discovered there were no threads holding three of them into the unit...on each pickup. I could have pulled out these screws with my fingertips.

I had a couple of TV Jones pickups installed, and liked the sound much better. It was as though someone had lifted the blanket off of my amp.

FiveAces

Gretschie
Mar 1, 2009
San Diego, CA
Back when I bought my 5120 new (2006) there were no 5420s yet to compare them. Everyone was eating up the early 5120s to use as a affordable baseline and upgraded parts (pups included) to make their own affordable custom "6120"....or close to it! Everybody trashed the Gretschbuckers! Frankly, I upgraded 'em eventually to Blacktop FilterTrons and was quite happy with the results.But given the price of $499 new for a 5120, it's a great guitar to keep as is, especially if you have other Gretsch guitars in your herd... just different, in a good way...

BuddyHollywood

Synchromatic
Sep 11, 2009
Venice, CA
I installed a bridge Gretschbucker in a thin Affinity Stratocaster body in the bridge position and it really sounded good in there. I think it's just the wrong pickup to install in a big, woody guitar. It's a good pickup if you need to fatten up a thinner sounding guitar. I don't usually hear of people changing them out on the Jet Clubs.

The Streamliner Broadtron pickup looks a lot like a Gretschbucker. I'm guessing if they are not exactly the same they are pretty close to the same.

FiveAces

Gretschie
Mar 1, 2009
San Diego, CA
I installed a bridge Gretschbucker in a thin Affinity Stratocaster body in the bridge position and it really sounded good in there. I think it's just the wrong pickup to install in a big, woody guitar. It's a good pickup if you need to fatten up a thinner sounding guitar. I don't usually hear of people changing them out on the Jet Clubs.

The Streamliner Broadtron pickup looks a lot like a Gretschbucker. I'm guessing if they are not exactly the same they are pretty close to the same.

Yes... Gretschbuckers have ended up in many project guitars with excellent results. That may be true that they just aren't great hollowbody pickups... but solid body seem to like them well!

As for the Broadtrons, different pickup in the same HB package. I haven't compared them personally, but there have been many posts on that topic. Again, it's all about what you hear and like. Consenses still treat Broadtrons as "not as Gretschy sounding" but like everything else, that's really up to the individual listener! ....just sayin'.

RatRod Gentleman

Electromatic
Sep 28, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
I feel there are three consensuses here.

1. Gretschbuckers don’t sound typically Gretschy.

2. Gretschbuckers do sound respectable in the right guitar once one removes the frame of Gretschyness

3. The enjoyment or otherwise of a pickup is a derivative of a) the listener’s ear and b) the abilities of the strummer.

And perhaps somehow we’ve all thus asked more questions than we’ve answered…. And yet buying another Gretsch is the answer to those. 🤣

CheapGretschLover

Gretschie
Dec 2, 2019
Portland Oregon
I feel there are three consensuses here.

1. Gretschbuckers don’t sound typically Gretschy.

2. Gretschbuckers do sound respectable in the right guitar once one removes the frame of Gretschyness

3. The enjoyment or otherwise of a pickup is a derivative of a) the listener’s ear and b) the abilities of the strummer.

And perhaps somehow we’ve all thus asked more questions than we’ve answered…. And yet buying another Gretsch is the answer to those. 🤣
Exactly:)

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Feb 13, 2012
France
I never had nor heard a set of GrteschBuckers to have any opinion... They are usually sold dead cheap here in France, where nobody seems to consider a guitar pickup outside Seymour Duncan and TV Jones ! :rolleyes:

Cheap doesn't mean at all bad at all... And they have a look, moreover.

A+!