Gretsch Sightings on TV

Pemberton

Gretschie
May 4, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
JD McPherson on stage recently while touring as lead guitarist for Robert Plant and Alison Krause (he’s also the opening act). I know, not the best screen shot, but he was on screen for a 1/2 second with this White Penguin. Usually he plays his TK Smith custom (design based on Bo Diddley’s Jupiter Thunderbird custom Gretsch).

5AC23C93-B965-4F5F-9FB7-4F20E53D0180.jpeg

Last edited:

TobyB

Electromatic
Nov 22, 2021
UK
Who has heard of these guys - Snapped Ankles?

Punk or "Post-punk" band from London ... I have heard Marc Riley on Radio 6 play their stuff quite often ... they've a lot in common with The Fall, so not surprising. Never seen them live ... I believe they put on quite a performance, costumes etc.

mister rain

Synchromatic
Apr 23, 2020
new orleans
Let’s put it this way, none of my boyhood friends had fathers that owned classic Ferraris. In our neighborhood, we didn’t have classic cars, just old cars. :)
see, my dad did have a couple of old cars from europe. only way he could afford em was to do everything - everything - himself.

lots of bmw’s in my school parking lot though…

Edison

Electromatic
Mar 27, 2022
Ottawa, Illinois
Ferris’ family was pretty well to do, from what I can tell.
Dad Bueller brought home some white-collar bacon for sure. It's only hinted at in the movie, but man, that HOUSE!

Although it's often left vague or fictionalized by name in the movies, the towns John Hughes used in his films were usually affluent Chicago Northshore suburbs like Highland Park or Lake Forest. The Breakfast Club, Home Alone, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, 16 Candles, Pretty In Pink, .. all filmed up there. Cameron's house in Ferris Bueller, the Mid-century modern used, is located in Highland Park Illinois. Screenwriter/Director Harold Ramis was from Highland Park and lived in the area when he passed away. Growing up, Bill Murray's family lived in nearby Winnetka.

Having lived nearby, that area definitely has a quintessential Americana look, especially in the fall and winter with our picturesque mid-western climate. Among several movie locations ideal for filming certain genres. Like shooting a Stephen King movie in an old New England town.

While extravagantly priced, a White Falcon wouldn't have been out of place. That said, it seems so specific and indulgent there, as if the character of Ferris wouldn't be into an Edward Van Halen shredder guitar, or a classic Les Paul. Subtle subtext that he was operating on another level than his peers.

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
That said, it seems so specific and indulgent there, as if the character of Ferris wouldn't be into an Edward Van Halen shredder guitar, or a classic Les Paul. Subtle subtext that he was operating on another level than his peers.
Exactly right. It's a White Falcon, and not an Ibanez, for a reason.
When I first watched the movie I don't think I noticed the guitar, and wouldn't have known what it was anyway because I didn't play guitar yet. But that movie is what caused me to learn to play the guitar. The parade scene where he lip syncs to "Twist and Shout" is what piqued my interest in The Beatles. And much like untold thousands of 12- year-olds 25 years earlier, once you discover The Beatles, you have to pick up the guitar and start a band with your classmates.

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
While extravagantly priced, a White Falcon wouldn't have been out of place. That said, it seems so specific and indulgent there, as if the character of Ferris wouldn't be into an Edward Van Halen shredder guitar, or a classic Les Paul. Subtle subtext that he was operating on another level than his peers.
I hadn‘t thought of that before, but you see, to be onto something.
Exactly right. It's a White Falcon, and not an Ibanez, for a reason.
When I first watched the movie I don't think I noticed the guitar, and wouldn't have known what it was anyway because I didn't play guitar yet. But that movie is what caused me to learn to play the guitar. The parade scene where he lip syncs to "Twist and Shout" is what piqued my interest in The Beatles. And much like untold thousands of 12- year-olds 25 years earlier, once you discover The Beatles, you have to pick up the guitar and start a band with your classmates.
I can remember the day and date that I saw that movie, very clearly. I had gotten some news that was very good that morning, took the day off of work, and spent the day with a friend, celebrating. By celebrating, I mean watching a couple of movies, having a great meal in between, and cruising around Denver. Good times, and good memories that have lasted 36 years, plus.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
They didn’t have a cartoon Chet?

Futurama is the absolute apex of culture, in my book.
Any show that can make good math jokes is great in my book.
In "Space Piot 3000", when Bender and Fry are on the run, the cops say, "We have you partially surrounded." Bender drops a brick, sideways from his shiny metal ass.
Sold me on the show right there.

The single greatest line on TV is when the gang is on some cemetery planet looking at Fry's nephew's grave. When they start to leave, Bender makes the comment, "Everybody grab a shovel. I'm one skull shy of a Mouseketeer reunion." My hero!

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
Any show that can make good math jokes is great in my book.
In "Space Piot 3000", when Bender and Fry are on the run, the cops say, "We have you partially surrounded." Bender drops a brick, sideways from his shiny metal ass.
Sold me on the show right there.

The single greatest line on TV is when the gang is on some cemetery planet looking at Fry's nephew's grave. When they start to leave, Bender makes the comment, "Everybody grab a shovel. I'm one skull shy of a Mouseketeer reunion." My hero!
I couldn’t agree more. I was hooked from Space Pilot 3000, on.