Gretsch Sightings on TV

emitex

Synchromatic
Aug 21, 2014
NYC
Was watching an old 1982 Top Of The Pops episode there other night on BBC4 and seen this, Kim Wilde preforming View From A Bridge,i wasn't taking much notice of the guitar though.;)

p048pb27.jpg

JC higgy

Gretschified
Jun 6, 2008
Belfast Norn Iron
Also on the same show was Boy George The Crying Game ,Girl is playing a mid 50s Country Club that has Gibson Humbuckers fitted,oh the horror!

I'm pretty sure this is the same guitar that is used in this Beautiful South video.

Last edited:

emitex

Synchromatic
Aug 21, 2014
NYC
While watching an episode of Ken Burns' Country, I just saw an interesting, nice Gretsch being played by Conway Twitty (there's also what looks like a 6120 horseshoe Gretsch headstonk at the upper left).
Conway Gretsch.jpg

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
While watching an episode of Ken Burns' Country, I just saw an interesting, nice Gretsch being played by Conway Twitty (there's also what looks like a 6120 horseshoe Gretsch headstonk at the upper left).
View attachment 178584
Conway had a leather wrapped '57 Roundup, which is an oddity in and of itself, since the model was seemingly discontinued circa 1955. But there was a batch made in '57. Maybe Ed can shed some more light on that.
1df57756cd66d246d8195f55a59b0992.jpg

I can't find a picture, but what's even odder is that the other guitar player in his band at the time had what appears to be a late '57 or early '58 Roundup with FilterTrons and a mud switch, which is something that shouldn't exist at all. My guess is that maybe at the very tail end of that '57 batch they made the switch to FilterTrons.

emitex

Synchromatic
Aug 21, 2014
NYC
Conway had a leather wrapped '57 Roundup, which is an oddity in and of itself, since the model was seemingly discontinued circa 1955. But there was a batch made in '57. Maybe Ed can shed some more light on that.
1df57756cd66d246d8195f55a59b0992.jpg

I can't find a picture, but what's even odder is that the other guitar player in his band at the time had what appears to be a late '57 or early '58 Roundup with FilterTrons and a mud switch, which is something that shouldn't exist at all. My guess is that maybe at the very tail end of that '57 batch they made the switch to FilterTrons.
Super interesting afire, and thanks for that pic and info. :- ) I liked that model and appreciate you attaching a much better photo of it. I've never seen that before. Great!

AllenK

Synchromatic
Feb 7, 2019
Staffordshire Moorlands, UK
A few years ago, this very Gretsch came up for sale at the best guitar shop in Stoke-on-Trent, The Rhythm House. Unfortunately, the owner decided to withdraw it from sale before I could get the money together to buy it. The chrome work was somewhat more faded than on the video but otherwise it looked in pretty good shape.

Duo Slinger

Country Gent
Sep 11, 2020
California, USA
There's a White Falcon Rancher acoustic played by the church band in "The Righteous Gemstones" which is a hilarious show I watch religiously.

For those with sensitive eyes and ears, don't watch it. If you have as filthy and cynical a sense of humor as I, I cannot recommend it enough.

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
There's a White Falcon Rancher acoustic played by the church band in "The Righteous Gemstones" which is a hilarious show I watch religiously.
I spotted that too. I've loved everything Danny McBride does. "Vice Principals" was fantastic too. Somehow I missed "East Bound and Down", but will rectify that oversight at some point.