Gretsch Pages down?

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
View attachment 181707
I use them all. No speed bevels and oddly O am growing attached tue the round one but the two Jazz ones are my favorite!
If you ever get a hankering to try a new one, try the speed edge. Changes the profile of the pick where it hits the string. I would probably use it more if I had a lighter touch, it seems to add a little more dynamics as I feel like it can sound louder with the same amount of force. I didn't find myself playing faster but it makes sense to me that if you can play with lighter attack then one could theoretically move quicker.

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
Is it going forward? Seems it has been several months now.
Tartonphantom is the guy who knows what's going on behind the scenes. What he said is that it had to be taken offline to do extensive upgrading and testing that could take a while. I'm assuming he will let us know when that process ends in either success or catastrophic failure. Since he hasn't done either, I'm assuming that it's still a work in progress.
Literally dozens of times I've caught myself with "whoops! Can't do that anymore!"
Same here. Database, catalogs, old threads that I know contain certain data or facts. I very frequently find myself wishing I could check for something there.

gretschbigsby

Gretschie
Nov 21, 2009
chicago
Is this the time to just merge the two sites? Transfer the key content of the GDP here? Or just save it as an archive.
That might be an interesting idea, but would cost some $. I'm an admin another guitar siet and we had all kinds of challenges when our platform changed ownership. We were able to get it done, but it was a lot of work and, IIRC, we hired someone to help. But it was well worth it in the end.

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
Keeping in mind that I don’t own the site, I suspect that it would take a lot of work and expense. Forums are businesses that must operate profitably, and hosting costs money. Every byte, every processor cycle adds to the cost and reduces the profitability of the site. When you are talking about Cloud hosting, the costs mount very rapidly.

Beyond the OpEx, the labor to convert all of that data to this site would be not insubstantial. I know that I wouldn’t have the time.

gretschbigsby

Gretschie
Nov 21, 2009
chicago
Keeping in mind that I don’t own the site, I suspect that it would take a lot of work and expense. Forums are businesses that must operate profitably, and hosting costs money. Every byte, every processor cycle adds to the cost and reduces the profitability of the site. When you are talking about Cloud hosting, the costs mount very rapidly.

Beyond the OpEx, the labor to convert all of that data to this site would be not insubstantial. I know that I wouldn’t have the time.
Right. I had no idea about this stuff before becoming an admin. Every platform has its own way of operating. The board that I help with solicits contributions to keep the site from advertising. These things cost more than I realized.

And sometimes there is a question of who owns the content and how do you harvest it if you want to use another platform.

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
Right. I had no idea about this stuff before becoming an admin. Every platform has its own way of operating. The board that I help with solicits contributions to keep the site from advertising. These things cost more than I realized.

And sometimes there is a question of who owns the content and how do you harvest it if you want to use another platform.
I know precious little about how this site is hosted, but I’d be surprised if it wasn’t hosted on AWS, Azure, or the like. Cloud based servers charge for compute power and for storage, at the least. There are all sorts of options beyond that, but the costs add up rapidly.

The GDP, to the best of my knowledge, was hosted on custom code, so there’s no telling with regard to formats, etc. I’ve done some very modest web programming in my day, and like everything else involving computers, there are a lot of variables and nothing is as easy as you would expect, going in. As for myself, I’ve got plenty of network tasks during the day and don’t fancy taking on anything else after hours.

drmilktruck

I Bleed Orange
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
Ok, I will give up. I've tried for quite some time to bring the two sites together despite the many differences. I hoped good folks on both sides would recognize their common love for Gretsch guitars and figure out a way to work together. But I was wrong. It ain't going to happen in my time. Sad.

Last edited:

drmilktruck

I Bleed Orange
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
I will be blunt. Those trying to save the GDP should give up. It was on life support before the crash and will not recover even if brought back online. Why spend the time and money to resuscitate it? The focus should be on saving the great amount of data there in some archival form. Hopefully Gretsch would be interested in hosting the database and other information.

Gretsch Talk shouldn't rejoice. I think the GDP was mostly the obstructionist group, but I haven't found GT to be very irenic either.

MrWookiee

Country Gent
Jun 17, 2020
SoCal, USA
I will be blunt. Those trying to save the GDP should give up. It was on life support before the crash and will not recover even if brought back online. Why spend the time and money to resuscitate it? The focus should be on saving the great amount of data there in some archival form. Hopefully Gretsch would be interested in hosting the database and other information.

Gretsch Talk shouldn't rejoice. I think the GDP was mostly the obstructionist group, but I haven't found GT to be very irenic either.
I'm 60 years old and well-educated but I still had to look up the word, "irenic". Nice one, Doc!
As to The GDP folks I have no knowledge whatsoever, other than using their database a year or two ago, but I can only assume they have visions of sugarplums (or Benjamins) dancing in their heads over the IP they believe their database represents. This is complete rhetorical speculation on my part and I don't need to know the real skinny.

drmilktruck

I Bleed Orange
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
I'm 60 years old and well-educated but I still had to look up the word, "irenic". Nice one, Doc!
As to The GDP folks I have no knowledge whatsoever, other than using their database a year or two ago, but I can only assume they have visions of sugarplums (or Benjamins) dancing in their heads over the IP they believe their database represents. This is complete rhetorical speculation on my part and I don't need to know the real skinny.

That word goes back to my days in a liberal Christian seminary when I might have become the Reverend Doctor Milktruck. I dust it off every so often.

Last edited: