Gretsch: My Secret Weapon

VenomousPontifex

Electromatic
May 26, 2022
Texas
Hi, folks! Robot CX here, AKA Venomous Pontifex. I’m a solo metal/industrial musician out of Texas, and what do I use for my metal/industrial guitar work? A Gretsch, of course!

I got my all-stock G5622 earlier this year with the intention of overdubbing/replacing my clean and crunch riffs on my upcoming EP while keeping the high gain stuff done on my since-sold ESP and my wife’s Ibanez. Plugged in, quickly realized I still had my Vypyr on the 6505 model, and discovered metal magic.* I’m working on rebuilding my gear locker, upgraded amps, stuff like that, but I don’t see myself tuning out from Gretsch any time soon.

*Would metal on a Gretsch be Gretal? Asking for a me.

DB2446A8-3EFD-46D6-9EF6-B56A91F289D9.jpeg

BCRatRod73

Synchromatic
Sep 1, 2020
Mississippi
Welcome. Filter’Trons are great pickups. You should have a unique sound and look in that genre. John 5 plays a Tele so why not a Gretsch in some heavy music. Just be mindful of where you are in relation to the amp on stage.

VenomousPontifex

Electromatic
May 26, 2022
Texas
Hi and welcome. Our very own @jackfossett did a video not too long ago demonstrating playing the Blues with a Gretsch. Might there be a video proclaiming Gretsch for metal?

I’m working on getting some material on YouTube and such, been working more on shoring things up for the upcoming release, BUT I have seen a video in Ola Englund’s “Will It Chug?” series that features, unless I’m mistaken, a Streamliner G2622T (though he has it listed as a Streamliner GM, which I think is just a reference to the gunmetal finish). I’ve linked it below, and as my release date gets closer, I’m definitely planning to post a demo/review of my own.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
Welcome to Gretsch-Talk! Check out Rabea Massaad. He's getting some nice heavy tones from his Gretsch Penguin.

I've seen some heavy hitters(maybe not metal) toting Gretsches lately. John Norum, George Lynch and of course there's always Bonamassa haha. J/K Joe!

VenomousPontifex

Electromatic
May 26, 2022
Texas
Hi and welcome. Our very own @jackfossett did a video not too long ago demonstrating playing the Blues with a Gretsch. Might there be a video proclaiming Gretsch for metal?

Following up on this, I just posted a riff/reveal/demo that I think kind of gets the point across at . I’m going to be re-recording through my actual amp (which has much meatier drive without adding pedals), cleaning up and adding to the riff, all that, but it’s a start.

gtttrrr

Country Gent
Dec 7, 2011
United States
I have Power’Trons in my 5120, often push those into very heavy Overdrive with no issue whatsoever. I am not a rockabilly player by any stretch, come from a metal background, a lush distorted tone works verrryy well with my Gretschs. Billy Duffy ( The Cult) tones come to mind right off the bat.

mbkri

Country Gent
Sep 22, 2012
Chicago
My band Slunq uses Nothing but Gretsch guitars. I wouldn’t describe us as metal, more post punk industrial. But it all comes out of Gretsch guitars, mostly my double Anniversary