Gretsch Honey Dipper Replacement Upgrade Cone

Spidey

Gretschie
Jan 14, 2015
Pacific Northwest
I've been looking for a 9.5" replacement biscuit cone, biscuit and saddle for my Gretsch Honey Dipper. I've read a few things here about the National 'Hot Rd' and that's what I was I thinking too. But I've read threads talking about a height issue about whether the National would fit or not. I didn't see any follow up on it.

It doesn't specify on National's site but I have read that they replied to a poster saying their cones were 1 1/8" and the thread poster suspected it was closer to 1 1/4"? Nothing definitive. So I emailed National and the reply was a one liner, "We've had a few customers do the swap with great results." That's vague, considering. But they're probably busy. My first thought was, so out of all the cones you've sold for Honey Dippers,.. only 'a few' worked? :) IDK. I'll probably have to buy one if I want to know, should nothing else change.

I searched here, not finding what I was looking for. So I thought I'd asked if anyone has upgraded their Honey Dipper with a NHR cone? Did you like the results? Do you recall what adjustments were needed? My first thought is if it fits close and nothing's hitting, I could compensate or adjust at the saddle some when slotting. But how much is too much? Do reso saddles need to be at a minimum height?

Any other replacement suggestions are certainly welcome too. Hopefully someone knows something or can point me in the right direction? Thanks for your time either way.

Highroller

Country Gent
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
I don't think it's a matter of not being "willing" to help, I think it's just a matter of not having an answer for you.

Let's face it, we're usually keyed in on the classic Gretsch electrics here - Nashvilles, Jets, etc.

Honey Dippers are sort of a specialized niche. And many that have 'em play 'em for years without ever replacing the cone. It's some fairly esoteric info you're looking for.

Have you tried any reso guitar forums? Maybe the one below? I'm not a member, can't endorse them, but I do see they have a section for setups and repairs. Maybe they can help.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum also has an "Other Guitars" section that's open to reso discussions. Pretty decent forum overall, lots of very knowledgeable folks there, although like here, resos aren't their main focus. Might take a while to get a good response.

Good luck with it!

Last edited:

wildeman

I Bleed Orange
May 10, 2015
norcal
You might get some bites on Reso Hangout. I would pull it out and measure it myself, then you'll know what to look for, chances are slim that it's just gonna drop right in though, there will be some setup involved.

Runamok

Country Gent
Isn’t there a store in the Pacific NW which specializes in reso repairs who could tell you?

You were being awfully kind in suggesting “they were busy” as a reason they gave you a near non-answer. Though I detect it was tongue-in-cheek.

I have asked questions of several makers, Taylor & others, gotten aswers from the chief designer, even the internal detail drawing of an item.

One would think a National customer service rep could have given you a more useful answer.

The cone, last I looked a few years ago was north of $80. A more tailored answer sure would have generated some feelgood to go with the appreciation of a better cone.

Can’t get top drawer customer service people nowadays?

Spidey

Gretschie
Jan 14, 2015
Pacific Northwest
@Highroller The threads and multiple posts I found on the Gretsch Honey Dipper were also in the Acoustic 'Roots' Forum, so I just followed suit. The forum descriptions includes 'resonator guitar'. There's much love for Gretsch Resonators out there. They're family too, gotta start somewhere for Reso's, good of a time as any to build up the weaker links of this site, contribute and help the next fella in need. :) Thanks for the suggestion on the other site, it looks very promising! I will definitely try them too, I do appreciate it.

@wildeman Wish I could get a good measurement but it's part of a factory defect on the cone that's throwing me a curve ball in height. I have 2 Honey Dippers and both are the same unfortunately.

@Runamok Well said, all of it. I figure as common as this cone choice has been on the internet inquires, they'd of had an answer by now or had some reference to look it up no doubt. Meh, it's fine what ever his reason, he just seemed to lack the time or interest in being clear or very helpful. I do find that if you don't know something, it's best to give the answer you have or ask somebody who does, than giving the one you don't have - at the tune of $80 and $120 w/ biscuit, bridge & shipping - but that's just me.

No, haven't found anybody around here yet but still looking. As said, customer service isn't what it used to be. With younger people, I find if you can keep their attention past one question and have a conversation, they usually have the answers. Just gotta jump start them, that's all.

After sending pics, dimensions and a short inquiry, Gretsch also replied in a one liner saying the cone was made by Continental in the East factory, but offered no other info past that. So I moved on. A Continental Cone would be cheaper, but I just want to make this upgrade count, after selling gear to do it.

Sincerely, thanks for the help everybody! Take care!!!

Latest posts