Gretsch G2420T Bigsby/Bridge/Hardware Replacement

Isgarc02

Electromatic
Dec 8, 2022
Arizona USA
Hey guys,

First time posting on here. Sorry if there is a discussion on this subject already!

I’m currently in the process of swapping all the chrome parts on my G2420T Walnut finish Streamliner.

I already have:
G Arrow gold control knobs
Gold Gretsch strap locking buttons
Gold bracket for the pick guard
Gold pickup selector tip
Gold Wilkinson Imperial style tuning pegs (just shipped)

I’m having a hard time finding a gold Bigsby to replace the chrome one. I’m looking for a direct replacement. Gold G60’s seem to be out of stock online.

Does anyone know of a different model that would work for my G2420T?

Trying to find a gold roller bridge that is direct drop in onto the rosewood base that came stock on the guitar.

Also if anyone knows where I can get gold screws for the pickup frames, pick guard, truss rod cover I would appreciate any info.

Thanks is advance!

Attachments

• F6D1D56A-E4CB-41CF-9094-13DE6E316FEB.png
    F6D1D56A-E4CB-41CF-9094-13DE6E316FEB.png
    953.6 KB · Views: 21

tmcq65

Gretschie
Nov 10, 2021
Eastern Tennessee
I have the same guitar! I love mine. I opted for upgrades in nickel, but have often thought about how nice gold would look against the walnut stain color.
Pretty sure the B-6 is the U.S. sand-cast original that the B-60 is copied from. I see what looks like a nice used gold B-6 on Reverb pretty cheap.
Also - the bridge spacing is pretty standard. I replaced mine with a roller, and had tons of options available.
Next will be some TV Jones Classics for me, then I will be done (maybe).

SneakyPete

Gretschie
Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2022
Australia
Hey guys,

First time posting on here. Sorry if there is a discussion on this subject already!

I’m currently in the process of swapping all the chrome parts on my G2420T Walnut finish Streamliner.

I already have:
G Arrow gold control knobs
Gold Gretsch strap locking buttons
Gold bracket for the pick guard
Gold pickup selector tip
Gold Wilkinson Imperial style tuning pegs (just shipped)

I’m having a hard time finding a gold Bigsby to replace the chrome one. I’m looking for a direct replacement. Gold G60’s seem to be out of stock online.

Does anyone know of a different model that would work for my G2420T?

Trying to find a gold roller bridge that is direct drop in onto the rosewood base that came stock on the guitar.

Also if anyone knows where I can get gold screws for the pickup frames, pick guard, truss rod cover I would appreciate any info.

Thanks is advance!
I would recommend a solid brass Compton bar bridge. Great feel, no rattles, increased projection and sustain (imo), and works well with a Bigsby.

Isgarc02

Electromatic
Dec 8, 2022
Arizona USA
I have the same guitar! I love mine. I opted for upgrades in nickel, but have often thought about how nice gold would look against the walnut stain color.
Pretty sure the B-6 is the U.S. sand-cast original that the B-60 is copied from. I see what looks like a nice used gold B-6 on Reverb pretty cheap.
Also - the bridge spacing is pretty standard. I replaced mine with a roller, and had tons of options available.
Next will be some TV Jones Classics for me, then I will be done (maybe).
I checked out that same B-6 on reverb but the hinge mount is different. It has 4 screw holes where the B-60 has 3, one being the strap button screw hole.

Which roller did you go with?

I'm looking into some DiMarzio Bluesbuckers or Gibson 57 Classics.

Isgarc02

Electromatic
Dec 8, 2022
Arizona USA
I would recommend a solid brass Compton bar bridge. Great feel, no rattles, increased projection and sustain (imo), and works well with a Bigsby.
My biggest concern is intonation with a fixed bridge like the Compton. I do love brass though.
Oh, just some super-cheap one from eBay. My stock bridge had a buzz/rattle, and I'm not strong enough yet to give up individually adjustable intonation and get a Rocking B
That’s exactly what’s holding me back from a Compton bridge.

Isgarc02

Electromatic
Dec 8, 2022
Arizona USA
^^^^^ I have nothing to do with the sale or seller above, just remembered seeing the ad a week or two ago.
I appreciate it! I’m just not confident enough to drill an additional hole in my guitar. The B-60 has 3 holes which includes one for the strap button.

David_GS

Electromatic
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 16, 2020
Toronto
This place in Canada sells the hinge assembly, so (in theory), you could just swap out the gold B6 hinge for the B60 hinge. But then you're getting into a costly replacement. I replaced the B60 on my 2420T with a V-Cut B-3. I had a luthier do the replacement. He had to fill in and redrill some holes, but they're all covered by the triangular hinge assembly.

Isgarc02

Electromatic
Dec 8, 2022
Arizona USA
This place in Canada sells the hinge assembly, so (in theory), you could just swap out the gold B6 hinge for the B60 hinge. But then you're getting into a costly replacement. I replaced the B60 on my 2420T with a V-Cut B-3. I had a luthier do the replacement. He had to fill in and redrill some holes, but they're all covered by the triangular hinge assembly.

I appreciate the info! Unfortunately they don’t have a gold B60 hinge and like you said, that would be too costly. I did end up getting the V-Cut B6. I’m just waiting for my Tv Jones pickups to arrive, or at least get shipped. They’re not the best at responding or updates.

After the pick ups arrive I’m taking it in to my luthier for pick up and Bigsby swap.

SneakyPete

Gretschie
Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2022
Australia
Cool, the V-Cut B6 is a great choice.

Geez with the Bigsby and the TV's your guitar is gonna look and sound fantastic, can't wait to see the finished product.

Which bridge did you decide on?

Isgarc02

Electromatic
Dec 8, 2022
Arizona USA
Cool, the V-Cut B6 is a great choice.

Geez with the Bigsby and the TV's your guitar is gonna look and sound fantastic, can't wait to see the finished product.

Which bridge did you decide on?
I just went with a gold roller bridge I found on Reverb.

Yeah it’s going to look awesome. I didn’t plan on making upgrades that cost more than the price of the guitar lol. The possibilities are pretty much endless. I like customizing it exactly as I picture it in the mind. I’ll post some pictures once it’s all done.

Isgarc02

Electromatic
Dec 8, 2022
Arizona USA
Hey guys, here’s an update on my G2420T transformation.

Gold from head to toe:

Wilkinson Imperial Tuners (Reverb)
Super G logo truss rod cover (Quick Guards)
Washer/nut Gretsch selector tip (eBay)
Super’tron pickups and hardware (TV Jones)
Roller bridge (Reverb)
G Arrow knobs (Amazon)
Pick guard bracket (Quick Guards)
Bigsby B6G V-cut ( @BorderRadio )
Gretsch strap locking buttons (eBay)
Misc hardware pack (eBay)

I know some will say it’s over kill considering the G2420 is a budget Gretsch but I really dug picking all the pieces and turning it into a custom build. Next will be a new nut and probably a gold switchcraft switch and input jack.

**** I even swapped the chrome Conway buckle on my Gretsch straps to solid brass conways.

Let me know what you guys think!

Attachments

• 5FFDB686-DF3D-4ED9-AB47-43E4D82F8F99.jpeg
    5FFDB686-DF3D-4ED9-AB47-43E4D82F8F99.jpeg
    265.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 9734518B-23D2-4C39-B91C-5E65A0334D22.jpeg
    9734518B-23D2-4C39-B91C-5E65A0334D22.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 9

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
Hey guys, here’s an update on my G2420T transformation.

Gold from head to toe:

Wilkinson Imperial Tuners (Reverb)
Super G logo truss rod cover (Quick Guards)
Washer/nut Gretsch selector tip (eBay)
Super’tron pickups and hardware (TV Jones)
Roller bridge (Reverb)
G Arrow knobs (Amazon)
Pick guard bracket (Quick Guards)
Bigsby B6G V-cut ( @BorderRadio )
Gretsch strap locking buttons (eBay)
Misc hardware pack (eBay)

I know some will say it’s over kill considering the G2420 is a budget Gretsch but I really dug picking all the pieces and turning it into a custom build. Next will be a new nut and probably a gold switchcraft switch and input jack.

**** I even swapped the chrome Conway buckle on my Gretsch straps to solid brass conways.

Let me know what you guys think!

I say well done, that came out pretty nice!