Gretsch Detailing Challenge

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
I polish frets...only if/when I do a level/crown. I rarely oil my fretboard and wonder if it is really necessary.

Has anyone ever actually tested it over 30 years or so? I don't think I've ever seen any evidence that soaking your fretboard with a petroleum distillate will keep cellulose and resin from drying out. I actually wonder if it accelerates it? Why wouldn't oils and dirt from my fingers be more effective at sealing moisture in?

And yet, I do oil my fretboards...
one point of mineral oil is to prevent body oils, dirt, etc. among other things from permeating the fretboard. That is the main purpose of oiling wood kitchen items, not maintain moisture levels.

Imagine wearing the same set of clothes and socks for a long period of time without washing them. Aside from major spills, most "dirtiness" is from the human body. I don't want my clothes to smell like a gym locker room, nor my guitar . . . . Aren't human hands one of the dirtiest things out there?

stevo

Friend of Fred
May 1, 2012
Atlanta
one point of mineral oil is to prevent body oils, dirt, etc. among other things from permeating the fretboard. That is the main purpose of oiling wood kitchen items, not maintain moisture levels.

Imagine wearing the same set of clothes and socks for a long period of time without washing them. Aside from major spills, most "dirtiness" is from the human body. I don't want my clothes to smell like a gym locker room, nor my guitar . . . . Aren't human hands one of the dirtiest things out there?
Oh my. Was I supposed to oil my clothes?

blueruins

Country Gent
May 28, 2013
Savannah, GA
Lemon oil.

It makes the fretboard oily and lemony.

And then I wipe it off and it’s just a little lemony but darker and prettier…not oily.

I like it because it’s a little lemony and pretty.

Craig Encinitas

Gretschie
May 3, 2021
Encinitas, Ca
All I wanted to do was install the Tru Arc bridge on my Jet. But no!
I had to polish the hardware and frets.
I’m trying out Ernie Ball 9.5’s.

Just getting her tuned up and already the guitar feels more alive and vibrant. 🤘🏻 😁

I purchased the bridge for the 6659, but this one had too much rattle and not enough hum. 🎸

Regarding all the comments and takes on oiling or not to oil. I will pay attention to this closely as my Les Paul and this guitar have prematurely tarnished frets, in the same areas. Like 13-17th frets. And the strings also feel cruddy above those frets.

🤔

I am OCD enough about guitar maintenance. Wipe down gently with a dry cloth or microfiber towel after playing. Wash my hands before playing. I don’t sweat, but my skin may be oily.

Or possibly, because I have oiled the fretboard, as stated above, moisture could be working it’s way out of the wood. But I find it odd that it’s happened in the same area of the neck on two different guitars. No worries, frets shine up and strings are easily changeable.

Attachments

• C78F2581-C2E7-49BF-9A67-8B5ED092E00F.jpeg
    C78F2581-C2E7-49BF-9A67-8B5ED092E00F.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 2
  • C05570D4-DDA9-4156-9CE9-1FD7350F9EEA.jpeg
    C05570D4-DDA9-4156-9CE9-1FD7350F9EEA.jpeg
    216.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 4DBCBA73-9093-4F65-886E-BAE14905FF41.jpeg
    4DBCBA73-9093-4F65-886E-BAE14905FF41.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 043C9956-ED5E-4B23-8CBE-7D64AF73FEE8.jpeg
    043C9956-ED5E-4B23-8CBE-7D64AF73FEE8.jpeg
    247.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
All I wanted to do was install the Tru Arc bridge on my Jet. But no!
I had to polish the hardware and frets.
I’m trying out Ernie Ball 9.5’s.

Just getting her tuned up and already the guitar feels more alive and vibrant. 🤘🏻 😁

I purchased the bridge for the 6659, but this one had too much rattle and not enough hum. 🎸

Regarding all the comments and takes on oiling or not to oil. I will pay attention to this closely as my Les Paul and this guitar have prematurely tarnished frets, in the same areas. Like 13-17th frets. And the strings also feel cruddy above those frets.

🤔

I am OCD enough about guitar maintenance. Wipe down gently with a dry cloth or microfiber towel after playing. Wash my hands before playing. I don’t sweat, but my skin may be oily.

Or possibly, because I have oiled the fretboard, as stated above, moisture could be working it’s way out of the wood. But I find it odd that it’s happened in the same area of the neck on two different guitars. No worries, frets shine up and strings are easily changeable.
I'm guessing that you tend to play less above the 12th fret and there is more dust build up as it is not wiped away by playing. I keep a good soft cloth on the guitar stand and do a couple wipes of the fretboard and neck before and after I play the guitar.