Gretsch Custom Shop's new 2022 Masterbuilt collection

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
Too funny, they copied Ed/Wayne's Gent. I have good measurements/drawings and pictures of a 1st generation bar bridge from late '57 and early '58 that I've thought about sending to Stephen Stern in case he ever has the desire to recreate them. It's what should be on this guitar.

Seamus

Country Gent
Feb 25, 2011
New England
These are works of art, to be sure. I'm sure it's come up a million times, but $12,000? I mean, I understand and support the need for luthiers to get what they deserve for their superior skills, but is that even in the ballpark of attainable by humans who would play them, as opposed to just look at them?

All that said, if I had loads of cash, I'd have one. Or, you know, several...

Back in Black

Country Gent
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
FYI

Sorry Mike,

Nothing there that remotely interests me.

A baritone Jet with Electromatic parts, there is only one Country Gentleman and that's not it, and IMHO, the tiger stripes would look much better on a tiger.

Just me, but the nicest recent Gretsch was the Rosewood Tenny, and that limited edition run is over and with the exception of shops who still have stock, there are no more available.

The last time I looked, Fab Gear still had stock.

If there is such a thing as a beautiful Gretsch, the Rosewood Tenny is it.

Best,

BIB.

Rosewood Tenny.jpg

rake_ether

Synchromatic
Aug 24, 2019
Athens, GA USA
Sorry Mike,

Nothing there that remotely interests me.

A baritone Jet with Electromatic parts, there is only one Country Gentleman and that's not it, and IMHO, the tiger stripes would look much better on a tiger.

Just me, but the nicest recent Gretsch was the Rosewood Tenny, and that limited edition run is over and with the exception of shops who still have stock, there are no more available.

The last time I looked, Fab Gear still had stock.

If there is such a thing as a beautiful Gretsch, the Rosewood Tenny is it.

Best,

BIB.

View attachment 190520
I better hold on to mine. It's a great guitar. Tenny1.jpg

drmilktruck

I Bleed Orange
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
Like some parts of them but none fit together well enough for me.

Love the top on the first one but don't like the three mismatched pickups.

On the second, I love SuperTrons but they look wrong on that guitar. The chrome doesn't fit with the nickel of the others. Plus the V-tail piece doesn't work either. (And I like them on other guitars.)

The third is just boring.

Add in the cost and I'm content to keep on creating my own.

The Rosewood Tennys are the bomb though.

Seamus

Country Gent
Feb 25, 2011
New England
Add in the cost and I'm content to keep on creating my own.
You said it! I mean, if you were gonna spend 12k, why not have at least two or three guitars? A brand-new, customized everything guitar from my luthier friend would "only" be 4k. Would love to know if anybody buys these to play. Only one I've seen that appeared to be in real use is this guy's (at least I assume that's Custom Shop) --

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
These are all gorgeous but elicit no desire or GAS for me. For me, custom shop means (1) achieving one person's vision on the perfect or desirable guitar and (2) a level of finish and quality that truly only reveals itself in person by playing the guitar. All these reflect someone's vision - but not mine.

Isn't every custom ordered / made guitar kind of a "signature model"?